PDA

View Full Version : natural edge bowls #1 and #2

Rob Price
04-09-2012, 2:09 PM
Thanks again to all who posted tips when I started these bowls last month. These were opposite each other in the log. The pith was off center, so one is deeper than the other. Plus the deeper one ended up having a lot of checking in the sapwood, so it lost a lot of width during the shaping process. The first is roughly 7 5/8" x 4" and about 3/8" thick. The second is 7 1/4"x 5" and is closer to 1/4 thick. The taller one has a lot more dicoloration in the sapwood as well, not sure what that's from, I figured you guys would know. These are my first efforts at NE bowls (finished bowls #2 and #3 overall). I originally was not happy at all with the shape of the second one but it's grown on me. EDIT: Finished with Danish Oil.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment/critique.

Roger Chandler
04-09-2012, 3:05 PM
I like the one in the 3rd and 4th pictures...........not easy to get that curve on a steep sided bowl, so you did pretty well!

Rob Price
04-09-2012, 8:50 PM
Thanks Rodger, I was afraid it would turn into a funnel... I had to really roll the flute up to go down the sides more than the other bowl. What's getting me now is the bottom. I have one drying that is 10" wide but only 4" tall and has a fairly flat bottom. It gave me fits... Hopefully pics next week. I tried to push it thinner, 1/8-3/16", it's translucent but as it dries one of the wings has pulled away from the bark which is intact, but now sticks over the edge of the bowl :(

Billy Tallant
04-09-2012, 8:55 PM
Nice looking bowls Rob!

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2012, 9:27 PM
Really nice and well done Rob.