PDA

View Full Version : A couple of pens

Rob Price
04-09-2012, 1:57 PM
Two more BOW pens. The top is my personal "fancy" pen (ie not everyday). Danish oil finish. I've had nothing but problems with CA glue on the BOW so I decided to go for a natural feeling finish. Sanded to 2000 micromesh, then let the oil sit for about 30 min, and then buffed on the lathe with a paper towel. I really like the look/feel of the pen.

The bottom is the last CA finish I try on this wood. The first peeled so bad on the ends I had to sand it down and start over.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Zk7BmWb8Abw/T4Mh-JEQi3I/AAAAAAAABrk/ZB823lYfeMI/s800/IMG_1959.JPG

Jim Howe
04-09-2012, 2:57 PM
Some nice looking pens.
FYI, I used some WTF on a couple of BOW pens. Fast, easy, and looked great with no fumes.

Jim Burr
04-09-2012, 3:01 PM
Nice work Rob. CA can cause an issue now and then. I usually get smacked on oily exotics.

Roger Chandler
04-09-2012, 3:08 PM
okay, I am not familiar with the BOW term ....:o.....is it penmaking terminology or finish terminology? I like both pens, but the fancy one on top is a really nice looking pen. That would fit well in my pocket......what kit is that one?

Jim Howe
04-09-2012, 7:28 PM
BOW = Bethlehem Olive Wood

James Combs
04-09-2012, 7:43 PM
okay, I am not familiar with the BOW term ....:o.....is it penmaking terminology or finish terminology? I like both pens, but the fancy one on top is a really nice looking pen. That would fit well in my pocket......what kit is that one?

Roger, not sure about the specifics but it is a Cigar style pen. I am sure Rob will enlighten us in a little while.

Rob, those are a couple really nice pens. My vote is also for the fancy cigar pen.

Rob Price
04-09-2012, 8:44 PM
The blank is one of the 'exhibition' Bethlehem olive blanks. I've read about people getting some rather plain looking olive otherwise, and for the most part these have good figure for a small blank.

The kit is the hybrid black titanium/gold titanium kit from beartooth woods. I'm not crazy about gold pens except for with certain woods, and this is one of them. Plus I feel the black plastic bands can look a little cheaper sometimes.

The cigars are definitely my favorite for personal use, but I have big hands.

Thanks for the comments.

Billy Tallant
04-09-2012, 8:53 PM
Both pens look great Rob! I also fancy that top pen...

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2012, 9:31 PM
Both pens are beauties. I do like the looks of the finish especially on the first.

Donny Lawson
04-09-2012, 9:43 PM
Excellent set of pens. I just recieved some BOW and getting ready for a pen. Is it just too oily for CA? That's what I use for all my pens. I will use some acetone before hand and maybe it will work.

John Terefenko
04-09-2012, 10:34 PM
I use CA on all my BOW pens. I wipe down with acetone before applying CA. Of course let it dry. Looks good and thanks for showing.

Rob Price
04-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I've tried acetone and DNA without success on the olive wood (but I'm a newbie compared to John and Jim)I did read about wiping the pen down with accelerator first too. I'm gonna stick with the oil finish for these pens. You can just barely smell the olive oil which is pleasant.

Carl Civitella
04-10-2012, 6:57 AM
That is a couple of nice ones.. There is knack to c/a that only fits yourself, but once you get you are good to go. WTF is a more user friendly, if you ever want to try it out. Friction polish requires a lot heat to burn it on, which in some woods causes it to crack. Good luck Carl

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2012, 8:48 AM
Nice work on both pens! I really like the oil finish!

Charles Bruno
04-15-2012, 3:15 PM
Couple of nice pens Rob that olive wood looks great.

Jim Underwood
04-15-2012, 4:57 PM
Nice looking pens Rob.

Sorry about the CA finish not working out. I have to say I've not perfected it yet myself. I've learned a lot about the finish, and come a long way since my first pen, but still...Every time I think I got a handle on it, I mess one up...

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
04-15-2012, 5:25 PM
Love the cigar pens - its my personal as well. Good grain match on it too, BTW (not to be mistaken for BOW ... :D:D)

Baxter Smith
04-16-2012, 9:10 AM
Great looking pens!