PDA

View Full Version : Making adjustable shelves with a router

Steve Emmons
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
There are many adjustable shelf pin jigs on the market today and it seems like every time I get a new catalog in the mail, someone else has come out with one. Most of them seem to use a drill bit of some kind to create the holes. While they probably work just fine, some are expensive and a drill bit can never create a hole a cleanly as a router bit.

The jig I have is based on the jig that Norm used on the New Yankee Workshop many years ago. His was originally made of aluminum (or some type of metal) but he did a jig episode and he created a duplicate from plywood. About 15 years ago, I made one, from nice quality birch plywood from a big box home improvement store - try doing that today! I never actually used it but I finally had a reason. I pulled it out of the attic and put it to work on set of built in bookcases that I'm doing for a good friend.

It's a really simple jig to create but it does take some time and good layout but once its created, it will make adjustable shelf pin holes super fast and accurately. All you need is the jig, a 1/2 outside diameter router bushing and a 1/4" plunge bit for your router. An up cut spiral bit would be best but I just have a Whiteside 2 flute bit and it works fine. Check out the video for some details on its design and see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_l6kBylupgc

Mike De Luca
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Great thread. I've got a plexiglass jig purchased from Rockler. It works in much the same way but the drill bit tends to chip the surface veneer/laminate. Using the router bit seems to solve this problem.

Since I use 5mm shelf pins, I'm going to have to look for a 5mm bit and give this a try.

Thanks!

John Piwaron
04-09-2012, 1:16 PM
Don't you think a brad point bit would work as well? Or a Forstner if it were available in the needed size?

Soon I'll have to consider what to do about that very thing for a cabinet project. But I feel underwhelmed by shelf pins. There must be something a bit more clever. For my projects.

Doug Colombo
04-09-2012, 2:27 PM
Great idea ... thanks for sharing !

Bruce Page
04-09-2012, 3:57 PM
Soon I'll have to consider what to do about that very thing for a cabinet project. But I feel underwhelmed by shelf pins. There must be something a bit more clever. For my projects.

John, here's an option you could look into:
Sawtooth Shelf System (http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=69005&cat=3,43648,43649&ap=1)

Jerome Hanby
04-09-2012, 4:06 PM
I use a similar shop made jig. I use a 9/32" (think that's the diameter) for the holes and use brass shelf pin sleeves.

John Piwaron
04-09-2012, 4:32 PM
John, here's an option you could look into:
Sawtooth Shelf System (http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=69005&cat=3,43648,43649&ap=1)

Excellent! Now we're going somewhere.

Paul Page
04-09-2012, 7:17 PM
Nice jig!

I was intrigued by your wireless vacuum switch. Can you tell me anything about it?

Thanks

Ellen Benkin
04-10-2012, 2:30 PM
The latest Fine Woodworking has an article on this subject.