PDA

View Full Version : Something to work on in my upcoming retirement

Jack Mincey
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I was fishing a section of river I've not fished in many years today and ran into this tree. The pictures doesn't show how large the bottom burl is, but it is at least 5 feet across. It is located just up river of a ramp for putting in river float boats so I should be able to float it down and onto a trailer and not have to left it. I feel that this tree should give me enough wood to keep be busy quite a while.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/0409121011a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/0409121011.jpg

Russell Eaton
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Be careful and post some pictures of the gloat on the trailer, or better yet on the lathe.

ray hampton
04-09-2012, 6:59 PM
be careful and take some of the stones too

Jerry Marcantel
04-09-2012, 7:11 PM
Yep, I have an oak tree located in the desert with a burl about that size. Only problem, I don't have a river to float it down.. And I'm sure if I was to get it and got caught, I'd be sent up the creek without a paddle to meet up with Bubba.hehehe.... Is it yours, or are you just drooling?????

charlie knighton
04-09-2012, 7:37 PM
nice tree/burl

Paul Gallian
04-09-2012, 7:46 PM
Who owns the tree? be careful to find out ownership..

Steve Busey
04-09-2012, 9:39 PM
I drop my son off at a national recreation area along the Chattahoochee River - and there's a beautiful oak of some kind right on the river bank, looks a lot like this one. But "they" frown on taking trees out of a national recreation facility - go figure.

John Keeton
04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Jack, I hope you are able to get that one!!! Amazing tree.

Glenn Barber
04-09-2012, 10:10 PM
You probably want to check on removing that tree. There are some places, like here in KY, that have laws against removing trees from stream sides and riverbanks due to erosion issues....and they fines aren't cheap.

Glenn

Mike Cruz
04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Heck with the fines, heck with the owner showing up with a shotgun...I'd be worried about hitting a rock with my chainsaw!!!!!:D

Jack Mincey
04-10-2012, 6:23 AM
Thanks guys. I know who owns this tree and am quite sure he will let be have it for a fair price. I will be careful, the bank makes for some very interesting escape routes if I cut the whole tree down which I do want since it is my favorite tree to work with, MAPLE! We just don't see this type of burl on many maples in our area. Should prove to be very pretty.
Jack

Mike Cruz
04-10-2012, 7:54 AM
Jack, I kinda figured that you weren't planning on simply cutting down a tree...with total disregard for ownership. And while I'm sure you'll be safe, that does look like a harry spot to be cutting...

If this is going to be for retirement wood, you'll have plenty of turning time...offer the owner a bunch of turnings including bowls, HFs (art), pens, and bottle stoppers from the tree equaling say $500 worth of turning, or something like that. Sometimes that has more weight than cash...depending on the person. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2012, 8:45 AM
Wow - that looks pretty ambitious! Be safe whenever you decide to take it down! Looks like it could turn into quite the adventure!

Bob Bergstrom
04-10-2012, 8:55 AM
It may be time to install a very quiet muffler on the chainsaw. You may also want to buy a few spare chains for the stones that are probably in that wood.

Thom Sturgill
04-10-2012, 9:51 AM
Lets see - Cullowhee, NC. I'm going that way in about a week.... (Actually up to Alleghany in the northern part of the state)

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Jack that ought to keep ya busy. That is going to be some nice turning wood.

Mike Cruz
04-10-2012, 1:45 PM
Jack, I don't care what size lathe you have, you are going to need a bigger one...;):D