PDA

View Full Version : spalted maple goblet...

Russell Eaton
04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
This is a little project that I did between chores on Saturday. It stands at about 4" tall and the rings interlock. This piece of wood was a off cut from another project that I have drying. I just needed a quick turning fix, working on the new shop kills me when I see my lathe unattended.

;) It is finished with Walnut oil. Comments are welcome. Russell

Rob Cunningham
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Very nice Russell. I assume you cut the rings and glue them back together after interlocking?
I'd like to attempt a captured ring goblet for my up-coming anniversary. Hope I find the time.

John Keeton
04-09-2012, 1:14 PM
Very well done, Russell! Nice form, and beautiful wood. Given the yellowish color, it would appear your Black PM has won some sort of an award - perhaps the Gold Cup - Mustard Cup??:D

Alan Trout
04-09-2012, 1:33 PM
I am not normally a big goblet fan, but I love the form on this one. Well done.

Alan

Bill Wyko
04-09-2012, 2:11 PM
A real beauty for sure. Nice lathe too. An excellent way to display the piece. I'm curious how you interlocked the rings though. I've done captive rings before but not like that. well done.

Rob Price
04-09-2012, 2:14 PM
Nice work, and cool interlocking rings.

Steve Busey
04-09-2012, 2:56 PM
I'll drink to that - nice goblet!

Russell Eaton
04-09-2012, 5:55 PM
Hey Bill, all you need to do is break one ring in one place. Then slip it over the other ring. This spalted piece lends itself well to this because it was so soft. I used a small drop of CA to glue it back together. I cant even find the break now. Thanks for the comments.

Jerry Marcantel
04-09-2012, 7:05 PM
That's a good looking goblet... The spalting sure is defined......... Good job.......Jerry (in Tucson)