PDA

View Full Version : Woodworks at the museum

Tom Sweeney
04-27-2003, 11:29 PM
The family & I decided to go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art today. They have a special Degas "dancers" exhibit that LOML & LOML jr (a dancer) wanted to see.

Unfortunately, after getting through 2 seperate traffic jams ( 3rd on the way home) we got to the museum & the exhibit was sold out. We decided to take the general admission tour, since we were there anyway.

Now I like art as much as the next guy - but I was pleasantly surprised that there was a Sam Maloof rocker & Nakashima(?) table & chair set & a fair amount of early American furniture exhibits. I have to admit that the Nakashima set didn't do much for me - but man was that rocking chair nice :cool:

There was also a very nice complete bedroom set made out of ebonized cherry with a lot of inlay / marquetry work. & a real nice kids crib made from beautiful burl walnut veneer.

Afterwords I did my best Rocky imitation at the top of the Art museum steps - I love embarassing my daughter ;) - & we headed home.

All in all a good day. We're going back on May 10th to see the Degas exhibit - I'll try to take pictures then.

Jim Becker
04-28-2003, 10:06 AM
There is a lot of "furniture goings on" in the Philadelphia area this year due to the Furniture Society's annual conference this June (http://www.furnituresociety.org/). The Pennsylvania Council on the Arts has a whole bunch of exhibits and events planed in conjunction with this, including in the museums, galleries, public buildings, schools and the airport.

This is all in addition to the Philadelphia Furniture & Furnishings Show that is this coming weekend at the convention center...a must-see for anyone interested in studio furniture. (http://www.pffshow.com/frameset.html) My wife and I attend every year (Friday night) and really enjoy the craftsmanship.

Martin Shupe
04-28-2003, 1:17 PM
Hey Tom,

Next time you go, please look and see if there is any Shaker furniture on display...

Thanks,

Jim Becker
04-28-2003, 1:33 PM
Originally posted by Martin Shupe
Next time you go, please look and see if there is any Shaker furniture on display...

Martin, the show this coming weekend I mentioned usually has a lot of Shaker-inspired pieces. That's one of the reasons I go to oogle the furniture!

Martin Shupe
04-28-2003, 9:57 PM
Well Jim, I'd love to go to the show, but I'll be stuck in Appleton, WI for the weekend...maybe next time.

Tom Sweeney
04-28-2003, 10:29 PM
see any. I couldn't spend a lot of time because we only had a short time before closing.

When I said early American -- that is probably a misnomer. I did notice a few basic pieces that might be considered shaker - I'll look closer & take some pics when I go back in a few weeks.