PDA

View Full Version : Trophy Packing for Delivery

Tim Bateson
04-09-2012, 9:55 AM
Question for those who produce trophies - How do you pack them for delivery/pick-up? I've been using whatever type of box I can find. There has to be a more efficient method... isn't there?

Ross Moshinsky
04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Bag the trophies. Stick them in a box that fits them. Put packing material around them so they don't shift too much. It's a huge pain and the amount of cardboard boxes we keep around just for trophies would make most people sick.

I still can't figure out how people ship trophies for free or darn close to it. I've been tempted on more than one occassion to buy some and see how they come delivered but never do....

Martin Boekers
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
If you do a bunch check uline for packaging. You can work out a good sized box or
two and stass them in a corner. You can fold them up as needed so to save space.
You could do like Aldi's does, bring your own box or buy one of ours. :)

Dee Gallo
04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I buy boxes from Uline, they come folded up for compact storage and are very cost efficient. I get my styrofoam peanuts and bubblewrap from the UPS store, which is convenient and actually cost efficient since I don't have to pay shipping for an oversized package of air and only have to store one gigantic thing at a time. And I always recycle packing materials and boxes whenever possible as long as it is clean and presentable. Of course, it helps to have a barn to keep extra boxes and packing materials in.

cheers, dee

Mark Sipes
04-09-2012, 6:42 PM
For local pick-up (Will-Call). I bag the trophies with a poly sandwitch bag from Fred Myers 1.50 per 200 and put them in a flower tray box from a local feed/co-op. I do their nametags in payment for boxes. For larger Boxes I ask my UPS carrier where he delivers the most boxes and I contact them for their empties and the peanuts which they have no use for...... Bubble wrap - framing stores

I also have a Uline warehouse 15 miles away........ right by our new JDS warehouse

Mark Ross
04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
We buy pallets of pre folded cardboard (fan folded?), I forget the actual size and we build all our boxes to order. We have so many weird sizes and shapes for our products, for example a 12 foot 1 inch diameter LED tube light, that we end up building all our own.

Rodne Gold
04-10-2012, 2:04 AM
Luckily , all my trophies from China come individually packed in its own el cheapo corrugated box , works just fine for re-packing. Crystals and plaques come from China in very nice silk lined presentation boxes. Custom awardswe make or trophies that didnt come in cartons are packed depending on whats happening to them , for local collection , we just pack em loose but bagged with cheap plastic bags , for transport we use the bubble wrap that has polysterene beads rather than air bubbles and further wrap with corrugated cardboard. Always a shortage of suitable carry boxes here so we either beg for boxes from the local bottle store and supermarket or we go to the cardboard scrap dealers who sell cardboard boxes real cheap (overruns , misprints etc)

Bill Cunningham
04-10-2012, 9:42 PM
I scavenge every box I can, I have a neighbor that is a carton printer, so he brings me stacks of corregated.. I buy construction 'sill gasket' foam in rolls, and 2' x 8' sheets of .75 styrofoam from H.D. I don't ship tropheys, but I do ship a lot of glassware. I know I can replace broken glass cheaper than it costs me to pack it, but no one likes to get broken product. I've had customers tell me their pretty sure a truck could have run over their shipment, and it would have survived, and they tell their friends. In the last ten years the Canadian post office has not broken a single piece, and the U.S. post office has only managed to break 4 pieces, which I replaced..I judge what a business thinks of their products, by the care they take in packing them, and so do a lot of customers..