PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2012, 8:00 AM
9 Apr 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope that each of you had a good weekend. I spent the entire weekend working around the house, spending some much needed time with my MIL and my daughter and her husband..as well as the rest of my family. We celebrate Easter in our home and the feast of food was enjoyed by all of us. I put down the calorie counter for yesterday. :)

Got some much needed maintenance done on my motorcycle and done a little riding with my boys on Saturday. The shop really needs to be cleaned up and organized again but I am trying to get an old popup trailer out of it that belongs to our local motorcycle group. Then I'll get the shop back in shape and running again.

Well...that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

BOB OLINGER
04-09-2012, 8:33 AM
Well, we celebrated Easter Saturday night at church with a couple of our daughters and family followed by nice meal at one of the restaurants. Yesterday, constructed an outside step from sliding door to outside out of green lumber. Sprayed a few weeds in the yard. Tried to get an older lawnmower running but fell short. Bottom line, beautiful day.

John Towns
04-09-2012, 8:55 AM
My 'exile' from my shop is now over...I had my knee scoped last weekend and LOML strongly recommended that I stay out of the shop until Saturday. Whew, glad that is over.

I attached the top of the home entertainment console I have been working on, drilled the wiring access holes in the back, and moved it in the house. The toughest art was moving all of the electronics in and trying to remember how it was set up...was the tv using HDMI1 or was it two? What configuration was the receiver using? Will I have to reprogram the fancy after-market 'all in one remote' as a result of all this?

Well, all those questions were answered with satisfaction with the able assisstance of my #3 son. Most importantly, LOML loves the unit, she cannot see all the wires, much to her delight. She also cannot see (or at least did not comment on) the 'design changes' made necessary by my momentary lapses in following the plan. However, my comment that now we need a larger tv was not well received.

Over all, life is good.

John

Matt Meiser
04-09-2012, 9:13 AM
We worked on yard cleanup, which is a lot of work with ten acres even though we only maintain about three of that. Sunday after a few last minute tasks we headed over to my parents for Easter dinner.

John A langley
04-09-2012, 9:15 AM
John - Wait awhile. She'll decide that a bigger TV will look better. Then she will make you think you thought of it. At least that's what happened in my situation

Alan Lightstone
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Sharpened all my planes. Exhausted, but I look buff. Watched Phil Mickelson fold at the Masters. :( Double Eagle was pretty neat, though.

Charlie Gummer
04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Clamp rack and legs for my Benchcrafted Roubo workbench:

The legs finished at 4-1/4 X 5-3/8 X 30-13/6.

James Baker SD
04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I am 0 for 2 now. Last weekend, trying to make a spice rack for my wife, I set my planer wrong, and while attempting to make 3/8" wood, produced a pile of 1/4" scrap. Did every piece before I looked closely enough to see the problem.

Bought another board during the week, ripped it to width one night after work. Then yesterday I proceeded to cut every shelf 1" too short. Another pile of scrap :-(

James

David Hostetler
04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Took the family to the hair lady this weekend, ran my phone dead blowing time while my wife's color took... Spent plenty of time applying color to drywall this weekend as well... My masking from wall to ceiling bled a little bit, so I spent some time with an artists brush painting the line so that I have a more or less laser crisp line between wall to ceiling... Got 2 more walls done, and started in on the cathedral ceiling in the living room... I am desperately trying to remember why I bought a house with these insanely high ceilings... Spent some quality time wiping CentOS 6.2 off of one of my computers, and installed Windows 7. I have CentOS installed elsehwere, and needed a Windows 7 load for my lovely bride to work while I use the other machine for virtualization lab work... I am in IT and working toward some advanced certifications so I need the faster hardware for this task...

I simply put did NOT get the rest I needed this weekend, but then again neither did the rest of the family. It's looking like we are probably all going to fall down after dinner tonight...

Trim work still needs to be finished in the laundry room, and my shop is a disaster area that needs to be cleaned up and tools put up... Probably spend some time cleaning in there tonight to make it easier to move forward elsewhere...

Carl Beckett
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Made some progress on some everyday chairs for use. I need 5, (5 people), but threw in a 6th because it seems everyone likes even numbers. Im in the process of roughing and shaping the back legs. Uggghh! A couple misques running a pattern bit on the router table.

That, and it had been a while since I have worked with HARD MAPLE. It wears and lasts forever, but is a real pain to work with. I used to make everything out of the stuff years ago, but had been off it for a while and had to 'relearn' my lessons on tool sharpness, etc etc.

That, and Im in a mode of perusing CL for 'stuff'. Its a sickness... I keep finding stuff at a good price that I can use. smh. Of course it all depends on what you want to do, but it seems I have too many projects in line of different varieties to focus on one genre. At somepoint I need to start selling some stuff off - the shop is getting 'too full'.

And with some interest by the wife unit on some new projects, I had to inventory those already in process:

Dresser 90% finished. 8 drawers all hand dovetailed, panel and rail sides/back, etc.
Dresser 60% finished. 10 drawers, but only 4 dovetailed so far. This one, like the other, is from scrap wood and the materials are far from ideal - so tediuous and time consuming without quick progress - so I just had to let these set a while. Thing is, I have nowhere to put this inside. Might become shop furniture.
Arbor for entrance to the house. Needs done, the current one has become a safety hazard since it supports an ornamental tree that grows over the path.
Chairs. In and of themselves a big enough project. Making ONE chair isnt bad... but everything times 6 (or 12, depending on how you count).
The wife unit is yakking about redoing a bathroom, as a way of building up to redoing the kitchen. I like baby steps, so this sounds good and expect will start soon.
And of course a bunch of regular house maintenance stuff, and still trying to get the shop setup even (like full power, lighting, and heat) - not to mention a bunch of shop work stations needing attention.

So its a pretty decent list of projects - of course my mantra, "you cant have too many projects 15% complete".......

Smiles. Its good to be busy.

Michael Weber
04-09-2012, 1:50 PM
I worked on the sizing and design of the wooden storm windows I'm going to build for my old house. I'm ditching the aluminum triple tracks but keeping the original double hungs because I love the 'wavy' glass in them. Salvaging the glass from the aluminum stroms for reuse. Have a plan for a self storing design and hope it works.