PDA

View Full Version : Any Saltwater anglers out there?

Jim Matthews
04-09-2012, 7:14 AM
My younger brother is now a permanent resident of the Tampa/Clearwater area and an avid sea fisherman.
I would rather paddle than motor, and have no inkling of what turns fishermen on.

I'm trying to finagle a decent gift for someone who can afford most anything he wants.

What are useful things for anglers?

I like old things, are there prized lures from years gone by?
Reels? Piles of tangled monofilament?

I'm clueless, here.

jim
westport, ma
(not on the water)

Steve Costa
04-09-2012, 5:38 PM
When I was a kid I would go deep sea fishing with my dad off the So Cal coast, mostly for yellow tail & albacore.:D Back then we had fiber glass rods and Penn reels as well as Shakespeare glass rods and spinning reels. I still have them and some day I might actually use them!!!!

Ole Anderson
04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Does he have his own boat? Well equipped? What budget are you looking at? Has he dropped any hints? I am just getting into it now and had to pick up a new Garmin chartplotter/gps combo and a new VHS radio, both were shot in the 13 year old 19 foot offshore center console boat I just got. (I spend 3 months just south of Tampa bay near Anna Maria Island). Still looking at a trolling rod/reel combo. Now I just need to learn how and where to fish what is biting. The wife and I are going out 10 miles on a party boat tomorrow to try to pick up some hints.

Maybe the best idea would be a gift card at West Marine. Tons of them in FL. They have both boating and fishing gear.

Randy Alkins
04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
SPOT gps tracking device.

Chen-Tin Tsai
04-10-2012, 1:37 PM
Although there are "antique" fishing items (such as rods, reels, old lures, posters, etc), most of it will be of limited utility due to the rapid advances in fishing technology. Graphite composites have largely replaced fiberglass for rods, forged aluminum has replaced graphite reinforced plastics for reels, and modern lines are way better than they were before. As an avid fisherman, most of my gear has seen quite a bit of upgrading and improving, and (other than sentimental reasons, or "mojo") I'd have to say that the newer gear is much better than my old gear.

If he's a person who can afford whatever he wants, then splurging on top end gear will probably only drain your wallet. I'd look more towards personalized clothing, hats, or custom fishing rods. A custom wrapped rod that matches the color of his boat and personalized with a custom decal (with name, boat name, etc) would do nicely, and would probably set you back $200-$300. Or check with Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops and get a shirt and hat with his name or boat name on it. Or better yet (since we're woodworkers), make him a custom wood console or cup holder or tackle holder for his boat like the pics below. A bit of nice wood and some spar urethane would do very well.

Jim Matthews
04-11-2012, 8:56 AM
Thanks C-T, that's just the sort of lead I sought.

Gimbals and Highballs!
(Is it possible to be too drunk to fish?)

jim
wpt, ma

Chen-Tin Tsai
04-11-2012, 9:50 AM
Thanks C-T, that's just the sort of lead I sought.

Gimbals and Highballs!
(Is it possible to be too drunk to fish?)

jim
wpt, ma

Glad it helps. I've often thought of making something like that for my friend's boat. If you do make one, can you post some pics so I can get some ideas?

From what I've heard (since I don't drink), one can never be too drunk to fish! LOL