View Full Version : Wanna be turner, How do I get started?

Jeff Sawyer
04-08-2012, 6:48 PM
Hello all,
I have been checking out the turners forum for some time now and have been truely inspired. You guys do great work! After watching the video posted earlier of the women turning that very large bowl I was hooked. I've been making cabinetry, tables, and an occassional piece of furniture for about 15 years but I have never turned a piece of wood. I have never even turned on a lathe, but I feel it calling me. So my question is, How do I get started? Where is the best place for me to get the fundamentals? Should I get a lathe and just go for it? Which lathe do I buy and how big? If this were a jointer or table saw I would have no problem deciding. Where should I go from here? and please keep in mind that I'm an absolute novice at turning. Any and all information are welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2012, 6:57 PM
Jeff - in my opinion - the very best way to get started is to join your local AAW turning club. The members there will help teach you the basics and also steer you in the right direction when it comes to lathes, tools and everything else. You don't list where you are located... but I am sure there must be a club within reasonable distance from you.

neil mackay
04-08-2012, 7:07 PM
Following on from Steve.
Then comes the hard part paying for the hobby. But first try and determine what you want to turn and where you want to be in acouple of years. This will give you an idea of which lathe to start with and the two basic arguments for buying a lathe are
[a] get a cheap one to see if you like it etc
[b] get a good one right from the get go to save paying for a cheap first.

Tools:- Tools in time will exceed your lathe purchase price. Again there are two schools of thought cheap versus expensive.

Both arguments have merit, it generally comes down to budget

Gary Max
04-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Stop in and vist your local wood turning junkie------or swing by here.

Eric Holmquist
04-08-2012, 9:00 PM
All good suggestions. Another option is see if some local crafts center / woodworking school has turning classes. There are three schools somewhat nearby for me that have turning classes. Depending you your luck, you may be near an AAW chapter and can find member near you, or maybe a school if not

Thomas Canfield
04-08-2012, 9:06 PM
Turners are a very generous group in general and most would be more than happy to have you visit their shop and discuss turning (possibly also do a little turning). A turning club has been suggested and that is probably your best source as mentioned. There are a lot of videos out there, and even some show up here, that also can help. Neil said it about checking out what is of interest and head there. You can always turn small on a large lathe, but you can't turn large on a small lathe. I am now on my 4th (and probably last) lathe, a Powermatic 3520B, but had the 12" Delta variable speed been on the market then, I might (?) have been able to make that the first and last lathe based on a lot of comments here. Now, I can't see going smaller than the 20" swing on the Powermatic, but I can still turn pens and wine stoppers.

Brian Kent
04-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi Jeff. Newbie here. I took the advice of dozens of people in Sawmill Creek and my local turning club. My budget allowed for a Delta 46-460. When San Diego Wood Turners did a Tips and Techniques day, they brought out the club's 8 Delta 46-460's to teach on. I am extremely happy with this choice.

With that said, I did not consider bigger machines because of what I can afford now. I know from many turners that the Delta lathes will hold a lot of value for future upgrading, and that some turners have the Delta plus a bigger machine. But if I could afford more right now, I would have asked about the next couple of steps in size and found out what others have as their "last" lathe purchase. Still I would not have been concerned about making the biggest bowls on the planet.

That's my take on the subject. Others with decades of experience will tell you a lot more.

Have fun.

Brian

Alan Trout
04-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Jeff,

decide on a budget first and what you want to do. You could probably start turning smaller items for about a grand with a good midi lathe some basic tools and a chuck. Or if you want to do some bigger things I would budget at least about 3k for a larger lathe that can do a 16" diameter piece + tooling. The club is a great place to start as many have mentor programs that you can actually start turning before you buy anything to see if you really like it and what you want to do.

Good Luck

Alan

John Beaver
04-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey Jeff,

First, sell your house so you can spend all the money on fun turning tools and accessories. You'll soon learn why it's called the vortex. LOL

Seriously... I really recommend a class before you make the purchase. There are great beginner classes all over. (if you post your location, I'm sure you will get good guidance).
Make sure you take a class that teaches spindle and face work (ie. bowls).

Lastly, look around for used Lathe's. -there are some great deals out there - and if you think you really want to pursue turning, buy the best / biggest lathe you can afford (within reason). Save some $$ for the tools.

Rick Markham
04-09-2012, 2:05 AM
I've been at this about 18 months or so now, so I'm pretty new too! I saved for a little over a year just so I could buy a bigger lathe, and a good set of first tools as recommended by John Keeton as some of his most used tools. I chose the PM 3520B, I really only have space for one lathe in my shop, so I figured I better get a big one. I did some flatwork for about 10 years before I did this, so I was fairly certain that it was going to be a passion. It was hard to resist getting a smaller lathe to start with, the delta almost went home with me from woodcraft one day, somehow I managed to resist. It's a nice machine, but I knew in the future I would want to go "big" so I decided waiting was the best option for me.

If your sure you're going to love it, I'd spend the lions share of your budget on the biggest machine you can justify, and get a select few bowl gouges, spindle gouges, a detail gouge or two, a skew, and a scraper. (and a sharpening setup) The way I looked at it, the tool collection will come! If you start with the "classic" tools and avoid the "easy gadgets" in the beginning you will develop proper technique, and there really isn't much that you can't make with those. Then it's just a matter of practice, and having fun.

Jeff Sawyer
04-09-2012, 7:56 AM
Thanks to all for the great info.
I live in the Adirondack Mt.s in northern NY, so I have plenty of wood, now I need to meet more woodworkers. I'm going to take some of your advice by checking out the craft stores to see if I can locate bowl makers. I need to take my kids to Lake Placid today so while I'm out I'll start my homework. I'm not sure if any of you out there are from this neck of the woods or if you know somebody, but if so please let me know, if I can't find a woodworking club maybe we can start one.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Duane Wiedman
04-09-2012, 8:24 AM
Jeff, Go to the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) web site and choose the 'contact' tab. Under New York state there are over 20 clubs listed
Duane

Brian Brown
04-09-2012, 9:23 AM
I've been turning for about 6 years now as work, family, and church responsibilities allow. I live in a sparsely populated area in the desert, so there isn't much wood growing here, and turners are few. I started with a midi lathe, and was certain that I would be getting a larger lathe. I recently bought 2 more lathes (long story) both of them midis. I am no longer wanting a large lathe like I used to. It may still happen one day, but some things have changed.

1. I realize I don't have the space for a big lathe.
2. My wife started turning, and thus the need for more than one lathe.
3. I takes a lot of space to store the wood, and tools/accessories.
4. I can do an amazing amount of things on my midi lathes... probably more than I can explore in a lifetime.
5. A lot of the satisfaction of wood turning comes from completing a project in one sitting, and most larger projects take a while.

Work and family occasionally takes me near Provo Utah, where Craft Supplies USA is located. If you are within a hundred miles of Provo, you have to go. It is like the sirens of greek mythology beckoning. You will come to know CS I am sure. They are a great store. Inside the store they have a glass display case containing some of the turnings made over the years by demonstrators at the Utah Wood Turning Symposium. They are amazing. I spend more time in the store looking at these turnings than I do looking at the toys. All of the displayed items are smaller than a basketball, most smaller than a softball, and a few the size of a golf ball. It is truly amazing what can be done on a small lathe.

I am not suggesting that you avoid a large lathe, but having a smaller lathe is not as limiting as many think. As the saying goes, size doesn't matter, it's how you use it that counts. As some have already said here, you will spend far more on tools/accessories than on the lathe. Be careful not to become a tool junkie. Like any other hobby, there is always someone out there who makes a specialized tool to make that one cut. The basic tools will also make the same cut if you learn to use them correctly. More isn't always better, it's just more. Marketing is about selling more more, more, not about selling what a customer needs.

Clubs or a mentor are the best way to learn. In the absence of either of these, videos and this forum are excellent. Much of what I have learned came from the generous people here at SMC. You can't learn just by reading/watching. If you want to learn, you have to make some sawdust. At some point you have to touch tool to wood. Don't worry about wasting some wood, the stuff grows on trees. Get the basic tools to start with then be sure that you really need that specialized tool before buying it. The basic tools fall into these categories for all turning, and different interests may have a different add on list. I am certain that you will get more good information on this from others also.

1. Safety-I have never met a blind turner that did very well. I also value my teeth. Get at least a full face shield. Many turners use a ventilated shield. Also if you don't already have it, get a dust collector. The dust can be nasty, and cause permanent health problems.

2. Sharpening-Learn to sharpen as you will do it often, and you success and safety is largely linked to good sharp tools.

3. Cutting tools- Your choice on brands and quality, but learn to use the basic tools.

4. Accessories- Like chucks, and other holding devices.

5. The lathe- Listed last, because even though you can't turn without it, in many respects it is the least important.

So that is a lot of blah blah, but I hope it is useful in your journey. Good luck!

Jeff Sawyer
04-09-2012, 9:52 AM
Thanks for your insite. All great stuff.
Maybe my wife would find some enjoyment in it and want to try as well. She is very understanding and has allowed me to take over the garage as needed. I do have some equipment including a dust collector, jointer, planer, table saw ect.. ect... but I always leave room for her car. At one time I sharpened my own tools, so maybe this would give me the opportunity to get back to doing that as well.
Truth be told, I was self employed for many years as a carpenter and cabinetmaker. I have had the opportunity to work with some great people and get involved with great projects. I currently have a job working for "the man" and I miss working with wood and everything that comes along with being self employed. No I'm not leaving my full time job just yet, but I intend to at some point. I'm just trying to become as well rounded as possible befor jumping back in.
Thanks again for all the great info.
Jeff

Jeff Sawyer
04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link.
Found a local club ( well, about an hour away but thats local for up here) I plan on contacting them.

Thanks,
Jeff

Brian Brown
04-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I do have some equipment including a dust collector, jointer, planer, table saw ect.. ect...

Oh Oh... Sounds like a Segmented turner about to be born! Watch out Malcolm Tibbetts. :D:D:D

John Keeton
04-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Jeff, I went through the customary progression of lathes - starting on the Harbor Freight 34706, shortly thereafter going to the Delta 46-460, and then to the Jet 1642. I bought the Jet because I hope to retire in a few short years, and the annual price increases were gaining ground on my concept of "waiting until I need it."

Quite honestly, I have turned very few things on the Jet that could not have been done just as easily on the Delta. That is not to say that the potential is the same - but, you need to be aware up front of what you want to do. You indicate you were inspired by the turning of the large bowls, so from that it sounds like "BIG" is in your future. If that is the case, then my advice is to buy once and buy BIG!

That said, I like the Jet, but then again, I really like the Delta, too, and it was such a nice lathe to use. Perhaps there will come a day where I actually utilize the full potential of the Jet.

Reed Gray
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
What ever you spend on your lathe, you will spend several times that amount on 'accessories'. Best Christmas present I ever bought myself. Now, the table saw is mostly a table.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
What ever you spend on your lathe, you will spend several times that amount on 'accessories'. Best Christmas present I ever bought myself. Now, the table saw is mostly a table.

robo hippy

My table saw largely has suffered the same fate LOL

Bill Wyko
04-09-2012, 2:08 PM
I started with a Jet mini lathe, that quickly progressed to a Jet 1442. Now I'm into a PM 4224. I recommend you find yourself something inexpensive to get your feet wet unless your budget allows you to go big. I turned many nice pieces on my mini and it also allowed me to do a lot of learning before taking a header into the vortex. If you find you like it, buy quality tools as you can afford them. That way you're not replacing tools, you're increasing your tool selection. When it comes to chucks, I recommend getting one that has a replaceable thread insert. That way if you do go to a bigger lathe in the future, you can just replace the insert and not the whole chuck. Good luck and what ever you do, don't beleave anybody that says is a cheap hobby. It ain't cheap. LMAO

Jim Burr
04-09-2012, 3:22 PM
I'd be tempted to put the brakes on until you identify what you want to make. You can make 9 1/2 bowls all day long on a Jet 1014, if you get into 16" platters, your stuck. The only thing I can't turn on my Jet 1642 is pens...ironiclly enough! The headstock gets in the way darn it!
Mess with a few sizes, turn some different stuff; big platter, little stopper, at the club and be realistic about what you want to start and where your expectations will lead you...but try them out first!

Scott Conners
04-11-2012, 5:43 PM
I'd be tempted to put the brakes on until you identify what you want to make. You can make 9 1/2 bowls all day long on a Jet 1014, if you get into 16" platters, your stuck. The only thing I can't turn on my Jet 1642 is pens...ironiclly enough! The headstock gets in the way darn it!
Mess with a few sizes, turn some different stuff; big platter, little stopper, at the club and be realistic about what you want to start and where your expectations will lead you...but try them out first!
Jim, if you use a MT2 mandrel, you can get a MT2 extension which will give you room to work. McMaster has them, I'm sure many other places: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/2427/=h2b4j4 item# 2977A15.

glenn bradley
04-11-2012, 6:04 PM
"Wanna be turner, How do I get started?"

First go out and buy everything you could ever want to do flat work. Now look around and feel the warmth of all that money you've saved :D :D :D

ken gibbs
04-11-2012, 6:27 PM
The best thing about wood workers is they like to help neophytes. Just post your area and I would bet you will have some offers of help. I ofter help new folks on my equipment and that gives them a cost/performance reference on which to base a buying decision when they decide what they would like to turn.