PDA

View Full Version : dust collector bags useful for finishing?

James Baker SD
04-08-2012, 6:45 PM
I purchased replacement bags for a Powermatic dust collector some years ago and the vendor sent the wrong ones. Did not notice it until it was too late to send them back. They were never used so they are clean.

Question, if I cut them up into small pieces, would they be of any use in finishing projects? Wiping on stain? Rubbing in oil? Any use at all or are they just the wrong type of material? Thanks.

James

Scott Holmes
04-08-2012, 8:09 PM
Don't know... never had dust collector bags that were not caked with dust. Try it on scrap and see how it works.

What size and micron are they? I have a Powermatic 4 bag system.

James Baker SD
04-08-2012, 8:21 PM
I have no idea what model they are for. I ordered replacements for a Model 73 that I do not have any longer and these have been sitting around for a long time taking up space. The top bag is about 19.75" diameter and 4' tall and has "Powermatic" printed on it. The other bag is lighter weight material, has a metal ring 13.5" in diameter and no logo printed on it.

James

ray hampton
04-08-2012, 8:40 PM
why not cut one bag into smaller pieces and drop one into wet water[wet water are hot water] not boiling and see if it will soak up the water

I will guess that the bags are similar to canvas