PDA

View Full Version : Which part of these boards is going to be the most stable?

Michael Weber
04-08-2012, 5:38 PM
As previously mentioned, I'm building some storm windows from yellow pine. The lumber I have is 5/4 x6 inch x 96 inches. I have 96 of these boards and want to use the best parts for long term stability. The boards are finished at 1 inch thickness and I don't want to have to remove any more thickness. Therefore, I have culled the stack for the very straightest boards from a "bowing" standpoint because to remove the bowing, I would need to thin the stock. There is some "crook" in the chosen boards but not badly. My question is which part of the pictured boards are going to be the most stable from bowing after I cut and finish to width? Pictured are parts of 3 typical boards that have two distinct grain patterns. A cathedral pattern and straight grain lines. After cutting to a 2 to 3 inch wide by 42 to 66 inch long pieces, which grain pattern will least likely exhibit future bowing. I want to chose the very best parts.
Thanks, Mike

HANK METZ
04-08-2012, 6:46 PM
I made some Bahamas style shutters and addressed this very concern in the video:
Shutters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2fEdGwD84)

- Beachside Hank

Kurt Cady
04-08-2012, 7:04 PM
Look at the end grain. The closer to vertical, the closer to quartersawn the piece will be.

With pine, and the pictures you have, the QS stuff is the straight grain on the flat face

Michael Weber
04-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Kurt and Hank. Enjoyed your video Hank.