PDA

View Full Version : Who makes this?

Wayne Jolly
04-08-2012, 3:13 PM
I was watching a wood working show on tv recently and the host was using a table saw blade that I haven't seen before. The host did a good job of hiding the brand name, but the disk of the blade was gold colored. It almost looked like gold anodised aluminum instead of steel. What brand is this?

Wayne

John McClanahan
04-08-2012, 3:34 PM
Ridgid sold gold colored saw blades.

Nicholas Carey
04-08-2012, 3:36 PM
That gold color is a coating of Titanium Nitride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride), a ceramic used to harden/toughen cutting tools such as drill bits and end mills. I suspect coating the plate of the saw blade doesn't really do more than color it gold, but I might be wrong. A little googley-moogley suggests the supplier is Ridgid, but the opinion seems to be that they are actually re-badged Freud blades.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Titanium-Coated-Saw-Blades/EN/index.htm

Andy Sowers
04-08-2012, 3:38 PM
not sure based on your description alone... but did it look anything like this one from SawStop?

Cary Falk
04-08-2012, 3:56 PM
That gold color is a coating of Titanium Nitride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride), a ceramic
Wikipedia is incorrect. TiN is a metal not a ceramic. It is created by introducing Nitrogen into the Titanium deposition process.

Rick Potter
04-08-2012, 4:38 PM
Some Rigid blade were made by Freud, but I think they are not anymore. Could be wrong...check the blade, see if it's made in Italy.

Rick Potter

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2012, 4:48 PM
Wikipedia is incorrect. TiN is a metal not a ceramic. It is created by introducing Nitrogen into the Titanium deposition process.

Carey....I did a little research and several engineering sites and scientific sites refer to titanium nitride as a form of ceramic. This scientific paper for exmple: http://www.scientific.net/KEM.175-176.139

BTW....I have one of those Ridgid combo blades for general use in my tablesaw. Works great!

Cary Falk
04-08-2012, 5:11 PM
Carey....I did a little research and several engineering sites and scientific sites refer to titanium nitride as a form of ceramic. This scientific paper for exmple: http://www.scientific.net/KEM.175-176.139

BTW....I have one of those Ridgid combo blades for general use in my tablesaw. Works great!

Ken,
I work in the computer chip industry. We use TiN every day. We use it as a barrier metal for Alunimun metal lines in computer chips. In our industry we deposit it on silicon wafers by exciting a plasma and bombarding a Titanum target in the presence of Nitrogen. In my 17 years in the industry, I have never heard it refered to as a ceramic. Maybe the tooling industry is different.

Sid Matheny
04-08-2012, 6:10 PM
I think we are talking apples and oranges. In tooling Tin is Titanium nitride. In computer chips TiN is a Nanocrystalline base or at least that is what I have been lead to understand. :confused:

Sid

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2012, 6:24 PM
Ken,
I work in the computer chip industry. We use TiN every day. We use it as a barrier metal for Alunimun metal lines in computer chips. In our industry we deposit it on silicon wafers by exciting a plasma and bombarding a Titanum target in the presence of Nitrogen. In my 17 years in the industry, I have never heard it refered to as a ceramic. Maybe the tooling industry is different.

Cary....in some if the engineering courses I took 35 years ago, we studied the epitaxial method of mass production of integrated circuits too......but when I did a Google search using titanium nitride as the search phrase several engineering and scientific websites referred to it as a ceramic..the paper at the site that I linked did so...and they also discussed depositing it using various methods including magnetrons..... BTW.....having worked on X-band and S-band radar used in air traffic control, I'd be interested in seeing the magnetrons used for deposition of the materials.

ray hampton
04-08-2012, 9:32 PM
Ken, may I muddle this water still more ? ceramic are use in lighters and rocket ships for the space missions to produce electric sparks and now we can buy skillets with a ceramic coating, is it possible that we are talking about different types of ceramic ?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Ray,

Further research using "titanium nitride chemical properties" reveals that it is a conductive ceramic used to coat tools for edge retention and thus sharpness and because of it's electrical conductive properties used in thin film process of manufacturing micro-electronics where it is a conductive barrier material between silicon components and metal electrical connections used to operate them. It's both and it appears it has many uses. I am quite aware of ceramics but didn't know there were conductive ceramics. Interesting!

ray hampton
04-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Ray,

It's both and it appears it has many uses. I am quite aware of ceramics but didn't know there were conductive ceramics. Interesting!

I fail to mention that this ceramic may be a type of quartz, I do not understand how you can strike a stone against a surface and get electric dischange and use the same stone to coat a skillet

Wayne Jolly
04-09-2012, 1:31 AM
Wow. After all the discussion about TiN, I think Andy has it right because the blade was mounted in a SawStop table saw. Also, after looking at a couple of pictures of the Ridgid (and not having seen one in person), they seem to be "yellower".

Thanks,

Wayne

Tom Walz
04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
We refer to TiCN as a cermet from "Metal based Ceramic". Has properties of both. Also seen as TiC(N), for those of you who really care about chemical nomenclature.

Tungsten Carbide is a cermet. However Cermet usually refers to something such as TiN, TiC or TiCN. The most common story is that this is the result of a translation misunderstanding between a Japanese and an American working together.

Also solid TiCN, as in saw teeth, is really a cemented material of ceramic grains held together with a metal binder. As a coating it is generally grown as a ceramic. You can grow single grains of TiCN although I do not know what size you can achieve.

The material is Titanium with interstitial Carbon.