PDA

View Full Version : My Tortilla bowl

Jerry Marcantel
04-08-2012, 1:43 PM
I've been working on this bowl for about 6 month now, and am finally satisfied with it. It is Velvet mesquite lidded bowl 4" tall from the bottom to knob. The od is 9", id is 8 1/2" and the depth is 1 3/4".... Walls are 1/4". 228981 It is sitting on a small something I made awhile back and is not part of the bowl. here's the bottom.228985
I made a beading tool that creates this bead, mostly for a detail for the pepper mills I posted recently. I decided to try it on this bowl and really like how it worked out. 228982
Here is a picture of the inside228983. I don't recall starting this from a crotch, but it clearly shows it......
Another veiw. 228984
It has been done for over a month, and I haven't decided yet what to finish it with. C&C welcomed......... Jerry

John Keeton
04-08-2012, 2:52 PM
Just right for the intended purpose! Jerry, you are on a roll.

Brian Kent
04-08-2012, 3:27 PM
Jerry, I want some fresh tortillas now. You made me hungry. How do you hold the bowl when you are making the grooves on the underside?

Jerry Marcantel
04-08-2012, 3:57 PM
Brian, I used to use a donut chuck until a bowl exploded inside of it, so now I jam most of my stuff between the tail and headstock. You probably heard that I made a bunch of chuck plates and posted a "how to" on the front pant page here awhile back. I made up several without the screws, and instead have taped on a piece of sweat shirt to jam the inside of any bowl or plate to it, and start cutting away the tenon. When I get it down to about 1/4" tenon, I cut the grooves with a tiny skew I made, then sand the bottom. After sanding, it's removed from the lathe and I cut the nubbin off with a high speed, and then clean up the mess where the high speed left marks.
Also, if you want fresh tortills, go to Walmart and get the raw ones, then cook them yourself. I really wouldn't know how to keep them fresh for you. heheheeh......... ..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2012, 4:34 PM
That looks really nice Jerry! Your beading tool works well! Not sure if this piece needs a finish at all - looks great as is!

Jim Burr
04-08-2012, 5:18 PM
And boy do I love tortillas! Great figure and grain Jerry. Should hold a few burittos!

Thomas Canfield
04-08-2012, 9:26 PM
Jerry, That is a nice looking tortilla bowl. I don't guess it is microwave friendly? I might suggest you look at the cheap rubber shelf lining ($1 per roll at dollar stores) instead of the sweatshirt material. The thin soft rubber weave tends to grip well, but can pick up oils and leave some small finish blems.

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Really nice Jerry.