PDA

View Full Version : Wavy skew cut

Lee Alkureishi
04-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi all,When I'm using my 1" skew, I keep getting a rippled texture to my cut. The surface is otherwise smooth & shiny. The skew is very sharp (honed on a mdf wheel after grinding), and I've tried both light cuts and heavy cuts with the same effect. I'm using the leading (lower) half of the cutting edge, approaching at 45 degrees. I'm sure this is a technique thing, but I'm not sure what to change. Appreciate any guidance!Thanks,Lee

Jerry Marcantel
04-08-2012, 1:01 PM
I got that a lot when I was trying to use a skew properly. It chatterd a lot too because my tailstock was creeping, and not exactly centered. That's been remedied, and now I just need to get better control to get a clean cut....... Hope this helps....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jon Prouty
04-08-2012, 1:08 PM
I get the same when the wood is deflecting or I try to take to heavy a cut. I usually increase speed and not push so hard and get great results after those two actions. Good luck! The skew is hard to master but so useful in many different areas.

JP

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2012, 4:54 PM
I agree with Jon - watch how much pressure you apply to the bevel. Also, when you go to remove these ridges, you have to take very light cuts but most important - make sure you start removing wood well before the ridges or you will just repeat the same pattern!

Lee Alkureishi
04-08-2012, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the tips folks. Will check my tailstock alignment, and try a higher speed and lighter cut. I'll let you know how it goes!Lee

Paul Williams
04-08-2012, 8:29 PM
I got a similar effect last week when I forgot to tighten the tailstock. It loosened just enough that my live center was slipping and there was a little movement in the piece. I tightened things up and did not experience it again on that spindle.

Rick Markham
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
What does it feel like when it's cutting? Is it bouncing on the workpiece, or vibrating? My skew is a bullet shaped grind, and it really, honestly changed my entire perspective on the skew. I don't really apply any pressure on the workpiece (I think the light touch in things works the best for me) I haven't experienced this, I'm just curious as to what sensation it's giving you while it is cutting like that. I'm guessing the group is on the money, either with the tailstock creeping on you, or it's slightly out of alignment.

Lee Alkureishi
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I think it felt like it was vibrating/bouncing a little, now I think about it. Looking forward to retrying it - just haven't been able to get back to the lathe yet...

Lee

Jason Ritchie
04-11-2012, 9:27 AM
You might try taking a metal file to the top of your tool rest and smoothing out any tool marks and also crank up the speed. If there are any bumps or nicks in your tool rest they will transfer onto the piece you are turning. Also, if there is any glue or rough spots on your tool rest they can make you 'pause' a little when you are moving the skew across the tool rest and this will also transfer to the piece. Let us know what you find that works.