PDA

View Full Version : Jointer table shimming question

Greg Urwiller
04-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Some time ago I bought a Powermatic 60 8" jointer to replace my old CM. So now I'm finally going thru it to make sure it's set up right before I use it. The tables aren't coplaner so I was going to shim the outfeed table to the infeed side. Correct, right? Anyway, I loosened up the gib screws. But, I can't lift up any on the end of the outfeed table, which is low. I also can't get the gib to move either so this is apparently frozen up. So what would be my next move here? Am I doing the right things so far? Thanks. Greg

glenn bradley
04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm not much help on dovetail way jointers but, I have learned to be diligent in making sure what it is that you need to adjust before diving in. Is the outfeed table flat? It would be annoying to go through getting it freed up and shimmed just to find that you have corrected one location and now have another out of plane. Like I said, not much real help but rather a suggestion to help you avoid spending a lot of time and effort in the wrong spot. BTDT ;-)

Bill Rogers
04-08-2012, 1:19 PM
Look on page 16 for directions on leveling the tables for a Powermatic 60B Jointer. http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000053098.pdf. Hope this helps.....

rick sawyers
04-08-2012, 1:46 PM
The tables aren't coplaner so I was going to shim the outfeed table to the infeed side. Correct, right?

Usually I keep the outfeed table at the same height as the blade at top dead center. The infeed table is what is adjusted and shimmed.

Greg Urwiller
04-08-2012, 2:41 PM
I did a search on shimming to get coplaner. Everything I read says to shim the outfeed table since the infeed moves all the time for cutting thickness adjustment. And of course you have to start with the outfeed table even with TDC of the cutter head blade. I've got a drop out at the end of the outfeed table of about .015" and figured to shim it up.

Bruce Wrenn
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Grab hold of a copy of John White's book "Care and Repair of Shop Machines." Everything you need to know is in there.

Lonnie Stephens
04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Greg, Went through a Model 60 with table issues this last year. Since your tables are not coplaner I would check to make sure they are not twisted. If twisted the only solution I know is machining. Next I would remove beds from assembly and clean the gibs and the dovetail tracks, then reassemble. Tighten gib screws till it binds movement of table then back off maybe 1/4 turn. Bring outfeed up to cutter height and infeed up to match (also tighten set screw levers) and check with staight edge across entire length of both tables. This will tell the low sides that will need to be shimmed. I sacrificed a feeler gauge set for shims. I shimmed the bottom flat of the dovetail race and under the gib (I used about 1 1\2 inch of the gauge). You may have shim to both tables splitting the difference if you have very much misalignment. My tables were not dead flat because of wear and rust removal but after adjusted I do get very good flat surfacing. Was so satisfied that I later invested in a Shelix head. You can do it. Patience, patience, patience. Hope this is a timely post for you :)