PDA

View Full Version : Dunno Bowl, Wood ID help?

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2012, 9:56 AM
Got about halfway through a Bill Grumbine video yesterday and had to run out to the shop for some practice. I got this wood in a raffle at the local turning club. It was a pretty sorry piece - too short, chainsaw damage, included branches in all the wrong places, but I managed to get this small bowl out of it. 4-1/4" x 4" x 1/8 - 3/32", depending where you measure.

A knot popped out while hollowing and I filled it with colored sand. I think the bowl got a little off center when that happened, because the thickness varies around the circumference. It might have warped a little on the lathe, though, as the wood was quite wet.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's elm, based on the colors of the heartwood and sapwood, but I don't know enough to confirm that by the bark. Does anyone know? It polished up very nicely. Blond Shellac and paste wax so far.

Wishing everyone a joyous and peaceful Easter. Thanks for looking.

tom martin
04-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I would say elm is a pretty good guess. I turned some that looked very similar. Man was that wood thirsty. I used up a quart of antique oil on a cored set! I could still smell it 6 months later. I was at a Christmas craft sale and had to pull it off the shelf and wait another 6 months.
Tom

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice looking bowl. I am guessing Elm also. Looks like a couple of bowls I made.

Reed Gray
04-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Quite possibly elm. Did it smell? Most elm smells like the cats have been tagging it. I have also seen Catalpa with that type of bark and big growth rings. It has a rather sweet smell to it.

robo hippy

Robert Henrickson
04-08-2012, 3:08 PM
Looks a lot like catalpa.

Doug Herzberg
04-08-2012, 3:52 PM
Didn't notice a smell, but I have a bit of a cold, so maybe I missed it. I have come catalpa trees in Denver, so I'll look at their bark next time I'm there. Thanks for the help.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2012, 4:35 PM
Can't help you with the wood ID but your bowl sure looks good!

Doug Herzberg
04-29-2012, 9:41 AM
230906230907Not sure this is too helpful, but I managed to get up to Denver and photograph my Catalpa tree. I'm still not sure, but I guess it's possible that's what it is. I wish I'd done a better angle of the bark on the blank. Thanks again for your help.