PDA

View Full Version : I'm Going to Be Able to Do This (most of the time!!)

mike ash
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Here I am on my own with my McNaughton system and a piece of madrone. Aren't those beautiful shavings? I squared off the point of the cutter as Reed Gray suggests and I will tell you that this improved the cutting efficiency and minimized the clogging of the groove.

These are the results of my time with Reed earlier this week, but also my time behind the handle in my own shop. The first set of bowls is from the 12" x 12" X 5 1/2" piece of Ambrosa that Mike Cruz sent me. The second is from the 16" Dia madrone being worked on above. The photos might not be as clear as I'd like because I have them wrapped in plastic around the rim. This is the process I picked up from Reed, and I'm going to try it out. The bowls are turned to final dimensions and will need some sanding when they cure sufficiently.

Now before you think I am getting a big head..................... I better show you what I did with the MONEY BOWL from the Madrone.

Here's how it happened! I had the correct blade figured out and was monitoring my laser and everything was going perfectly. Then, I found that the bowl was so large that I couldn't get it to come around to the center......so I switched to a larger blade and whittled away at the groove to fit the curvature I needed and then proceeded to go deeper (without use of the laser!!!!). You can see the proper track I had on the initial blade (step on the left) and the NEW curvature (on the step on the right) of the second blade. [Don't tell Reed about this one!!!]

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2012, 2:38 AM
Yep did that on my first core Mike. Looking pretty good though.

John Keeton
04-08-2012, 6:10 AM
Mike, I am impressed - even with the lamp shade bowl! I don't even turn many bowls, and this makes me want a coring system.

Nate Davey
04-08-2012, 8:55 AM
That is the nicest lamp shade I've ever seen. Great imagination on this one Mike, I never would have thought of it. :D Sure is nice to see bowls instead of shavings isn't it.

Doug W Swanson
04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I think you have the light bulb in the wrong spot. It's supposed to go UNDER the shade!

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2012, 4:56 PM
Hey - you done good!! Had you not cored at all - all those you were successful on would have been curlies on the floor! I am sure - given a little time and experience - you will be coring with the best of them! Looking forward to seeing these bowls once finished!

Jim Burr
04-08-2012, 5:13 PM
That makes me jealous to the core! :D:p Great progress Mike...I hope to be following in your footsteps in a few months.

Mike Cruz
04-08-2012, 6:07 PM
Mike, glad that worked out so nicely for you. And as promised, I'll get some more out to you.

Looks like you've got the hang of that corer down pat!

Could you do me a favor and take some close up pics of the tip of your tools showing what you mean by squaring them off? Top and side views would be nice. Thanks

Rick Markham
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Mike, Looks like a good job to me. Shame about the big one, but I think you have the right idea with it. I'd cut the bottom out, mount some metal lamp shade hardware in it, and turn a lamp for it! I think that would make an awesome retro desk lamp!

Mike Cruz
04-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Could also save it by turning away enough of the bottom to get to a thick enough area, then glue in an accent wood, and make it a design choice...:rolleyes: