PDA

View Full Version : Importing your laser by Ship?

Bill Cunningham
04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
If your importing your laser and stuff by sea freight, here is a great link that will tell you 'where' your ship is, 'where' it's docking, and when.. You can even follow it from day to day until it gets to port..
http://marinetraffic.com

Just enter the name of the ship, and it will show you the current real time track

Joe Pelonio
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I use that all the time, in fact have the mobile version on my phone, as I work at the Port. It never occurred to me that
people might like to track their shipments. It even shows fishing boats coming back from Alaska and some of the bigger yachts.

Rodne Gold
04-08-2012, 2:41 AM
I use it too to track shipment of my supplies from europe and china.
Talking shipping , I ordered a cable and some software for retuning my puterised cars from the US.
It shipped the day I paid for it , the 24th of March , landed here in South africa on the 28th March (USPS) to our postal/customs sorting hall , about 5 miles from me. It will only be PROCESSED on tuesday and I will hopefully get the parcel on Wed 11th... It took 4 days to go 10 000 miles and almost 2 weeks to travel the final 5 - thats IF I get it on Wed... Great service South African Post Office.....

Bill Cunningham
04-09-2012, 9:14 PM
It's funny Rodney, we have the same problem here.. I had a gimbal ring for a marine outdrive shipped from the U.S. and it hit our sorting/customs plant in two days where it sat for two weeks until someone figured out what a 'gimbal ring' was..Had they marked it "Aluminum boat part", I may have got it in a week..So, sometimes it's whats written on the label that holds it up..I think 'customs jobs' draw people from the very bottom of the food chain..:rolleyes:

George M. Perzel
04-09-2012, 9:36 PM
Bill;
No different here in the USA-when my Shenhui laser arrived, my broker got a call from Customs asking where the bearings were made!. I told them to tell them "China"-no further questions asked. I think they get evaluated on the number of questions they ask-no matter how stupid. At the same time, I am very sympathetic to the task they have of being the watchdog of everything coming into the US.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Rodne Gold
04-10-2012, 1:58 AM
Well , when I called customs on Wed the 4th of april , I was told "there's a LOT of stuff on the floor , we will get round to yours after the long easter weekend" ... bah , service is disgusting over here. This is AFRICA!!!!!!!!!!!!