PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Disconnect (Poll)

Ole Anderson
04-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Yea, I know I am supposed to unplug my TS or hit a disconnect or switch it off every time I change a blade, but... I am usually in too much of a hurry or just too lazy, and I guess I am inherently a risk taker. Although is most other endeavours, I seem to be a "but what if" person. So I thought it would be interesting to see how Creekers are split on blade changing safety with regards to doing more than just making sure the blade isn't spinning before grabbing the blade to change it. And by the way, I have been quite anal about using my blade guard and splitter. Go figure.

Bruce Page
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I have a shop sub panel a few feet away from the TS and always flip the breaker to off.

Neil Brooks
04-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Mine goes into a switched power strip. I flip that switch.

And .... I turn ON and OFF the TS ... just to verify.

Alan Schwabacher
04-07-2012, 12:57 PM
I had a tablesaw switch fail by turning itself on while I was in the shop about 15' away, so I am certain nothing even bumped it then. The blade wrench was attached to the cord near the plug even before that. I like my fingers.

Greg Peterson
04-07-2012, 1:43 PM
My table saw had a long cord. I cut the cord to about 1', made a 10' 12 AWG extension cord that remains plugged into the outlet. When I'm making blade changes I reach down below the switch and unplug the cord.

Tom Wassack
04-07-2012, 1:55 PM
YES...My vote was flipping a switch - the phase converter is NOT under power during blade changes.

Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

jonathan eagle
04-07-2012, 2:02 PM
I'm real chicken. I have a wall mounted switch, which I switch off, and I unplug the cord.
Jonathan

Bill Huber
04-07-2012, 2:35 PM
I use 2 wrenches one on the arbor shaft and one on the nut, if for some wild reason the motor kicked on it could not turn the shaft. The wrench on the arbor shaft is on the whole time I am changing the blade.

Myk Rian
04-07-2012, 2:59 PM
The company I retired from PREACHED LOCKOUT. I always unplug first. To do anything less is looking for trouble.

glenn bradley
04-07-2012, 3:08 PM
Always unplug. At first I was shocked that anyone would even ask this. Then I realize the value for those folks who will fail to unplug "just this once". My router table actually bolts to my tablesaw station so I added a duplex outlet in the side of it in a handy location. Both the RT and the TS plug in right there. It is easy to unplug either tool for cutter changes or adjustments that cause me to get near or touch the cutters.

During another discussion I realized that I don't unplug the drill press or hand drill motors when I am doing things near the business end. I do not know what it is that makes this OK in my mind. Maybe because cordless drills don't unplug!?! :confused: I don't get near the cutters on any other tool without safely disconnecting the power.

Leo Graywacz
04-07-2012, 3:14 PM
I use 2 wrenches one on the arbor shaft and one on the nut, if for some wild reason the motor kicked on it could not turn the shaft. The wrench on the arbor shaft is on the whole time I am changing the blade.

I do the same thing. My tablesaw uses a magnetic starter and the only way it can start is to push the button. Or maybe a nuclear explosion or EMP might be able to set it off, but then....it won't matter anyway.

Mike Heidrick
04-07-2012, 3:40 PM
My sawstop and shaper have disconnects. I just use them.

I have started installing disconnects on my other VFD equipped tools too. On my CNC enclosure I built in through door disconnect and put a DIN mounted switched disconnect in the spindle VFD cabinet. The jointer got an allen bradley disconnect in its own enclosure. They are pretty handy and pretty easy to install.

All my other tools get unplugged when servicing or changing tooling. I am guilty of leaving teh router plugged in when changing teh bits on my RT though. Pretty stupid and I need to be better about that. I have my little girls watching me while I am doing that sometimes and I need to teach better safety lessons by example.

randall rosenthal
04-07-2012, 5:25 PM
i've gotten away with a lot of foolishness (years of motorcycling...no helmet for example) but i always unplug any power tool before fiddling with it.

ray hampton
04-07-2012, 6:22 PM
The company I retired from PREACHED LOCKOUT. I always unplug first. To do anything less is looking for trouble.
I am not surprise that nobody mention a call to the power company to turn your electric off

Andrew Hughes
04-07-2012, 6:25 PM
Like Randall i too have gotten away with lots of foolishness,once i messed around with a very large california halibut i thought was dead.That thing almost bit two of my fingers off.I always turn off the breaker changing blades.

ray hampton
If you are lazy one time too many and you lose a hand then will you alway be lazy ??

mickey cassiba
Being as I have a contractor saw, it's really easy to disconnect the motor when doing any work on the saw(shy of testing the motor). Any unit with a magnetic switch gets disconnected(un plugged or locked out) before service...I've seen too many switches activate by being bumped or jarred.

Jeff Duncan
04-07-2012, 6:59 PM
I have to say I'm impressed by the attention to safety that seems to be the norm here. I can't lie though, I never disconnect power to the table saw unless actually doing maintenance on it. A router in or out of a table yes, too easy to drop it and hit the switch accidentally. I worked with a guy who had done so once and had a nice little staircase scar carved into his forearm to prove it:eek:

Anyway disconnecting power before working on a tool is never a bad thing. I have heard of tools powering themselves on before and would like to know more about how this could actually be possible? I mean aside from ghosts and shop gnomes;) Is this something specific to a certain type of motor/switch or .....???

good luck,
JeffD

Rick Lizek
04-07-2012, 7:07 PM
I do the same thing. My tablesaw uses a magnetic starter and the only way it can start is to push the button. Or maybe a nuclear explosion or EMP might be able to set it off, but then....it won't matter anyway.

You couldn't be more mistaken on a magnetic switch. If power goes off it won't start but a magnetic started can start with a simple bump against it. I learned that 35 years ago when a shop cart tapped the saw and it was enough to make the contactor engage. It was a light tap so don't think you are any safer with a magnetic switch in not unplugging it to change the blade.

Another important thing is a breaker is not meant to be used on a daily basis to disconnect power to a tool. It's not the same as a lockout box. I will start to trip more often unnecessarily.

Leo Graywacz
04-07-2012, 7:13 PM
Well, I'm a one man show so no carts are going to be bumping my switches, other than ghosts pushing them.

Scott Driemel
04-07-2012, 7:33 PM
Feeling a bit foolish to reply to the thread but here goes. I've never unplugged when doing blade changes. If operating inside the saw, cleaning etc, (with my cabinet saws) I would "usually" unplug if I thought of it. I had always presumed off was off. I'm quite flabergasted to hear of how many have had unexplained or accidental starts. That means "it could" happen to me. I think because of this thread I'll be a lot more careful down the road for unplugging. Thx to all for the comments about the "poltergeist" start-ups. I can't imagine my cabinet saws starting while my hand was down inside putting on tightening the arbor nut. What a meat grinder! Not having worked around machinery much of my life except for the workshop & that is fairly new so I was blissfully ignorant. Now I know better. Never hurts to be reminded.

Steve Griffin
04-07-2012, 7:45 PM
I was a bit confused by the poll. I never unplug, but I do switch the power off with the magnetic switch, since it's dangerous to change blades with the power ON and the blade spinning.:)

Same with chop saw. When I change blades, I never grab it or put a hand on the blade until it is loose, when it can do little harm.

Statistically, I wonder if there is more danger of getting shocked unplugging a saw than changing the blade while plugged in....

Now working inside a tool, that's a different story. I unplug or hit a breaker for sure.

Bernie Kopfer
04-07-2012, 8:08 PM
Nothing against being safe rather than sorry, BUT where is the real documentation other than anecdotal incidents that not unplugging the saw is dangerous. Particularly with a magnetic switch. Using a incident of 35 years ago implies that the same materials are being used etc and therefore untrustworthy. Good for storytelling or scare tactics, but very poor science. Shouldn't be too hard to find if this is a real problem. Can anyone access the Emergency Room data describing table saw injuries and their causes? Of course the manufacturers are going to tell you to disconnect because of ambulance chasing lawyers. But if it were that easy to turn on a saw when changing the blade they would long ago have been required to have a auto disconnect if you lifted the throat plate. Hmmm, might be on to something with that idea...

Paul Saffold
04-07-2012, 8:36 PM
Yes,I unpulg the TS, BS, router, jointer, circular saw, jig saw and planer for blade/bit changes. But not drill press, rigid os sander or drills.
Paul

Tim Janssen
04-07-2012, 8:40 PM
My SawStop has an On/Off Switch, If I do anything below the throatplate the switch is in the Off position and the saw is unplugged. I know; belt and suspenders

Tim

Rick Lizek
04-07-2012, 8:40 PM
Nothing against being safe rather than sorry, BUT where is the real documentation other than anecdotal incidents that not unplugging the saw is dangerous. Particularly with a magnetic switch. Using a incident of 35 years ago implies that the same materials are being used etc and therefore untrustworthy. Good for storytelling or scare tactics, but very poor science. Shouldn't be too hard to find if this is a real problem. Can anyone access the Emergency Room data describing table saw injuries and their causes? Of course the manufacturers are going to tell you to disconnect because of ambulance chasing lawyers. But if it were that easy to turn on a saw when changing the blade they would long ago have been required to have a auto disconnect if you lifted the throat plate. Hmmm, might be on to something with that idea...

35 years ago was when I first encountered the situation. It still applies. Take a deadblow hammer and hit you mag switch and see for your self. You do realize if you push in the contractor manually it will start and stay running until you hit the off switch. The jarring of the switch does the same thing. I know what is true and not. I'm more concerned with my fingers and folks I know. If you choose to regard the information I'm not concerned about your hands and fingers. By the way my profession is problem solving in commercial woodworking shops so take the info what you thinks it's worth.

Gordon Eyre
04-07-2012, 9:42 PM
Well I must agree that you have all given me food for thought. In my 50+ years of hobby woodworking I have never unplugged my TS to change the blade. I guess I have been lucky and will do so from now on. Seems like the older I get the more safety conscious I become. One thing I don't want to do is to over think this whole safety thing but what you say makes sense.

David Kumm
04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
I'd like a vote for "most of the time". Sometimes just forget, sometimes just lazy, most of the time smart, sometimes dumb. The chop saw I have to admit less often. Dave

Ronald Blue
04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I am surprised someone would want to argue for leaving the power on. So we shouldn't bother with using the safety on a gun either because they can't fire unless the trigger is pulled right? I thought someone had an issue with a magnetic starter on here in the last few months but my memory might be failing me. Regardless of where you stand on this you can't say that it is going to have a positive outcome in that freak chain of events that caused the incident. Believe me when you review some accidents it was a calamity of errors that occurred in some instances. I teach LOTO (lock out tag out) for my employer. So I have strong opinions on the use of it, and wearing proper PPE (personal protective equipment). The fact that you are working alone is a reason to be safe. If something serious goes wrong you might not be able to obtain help. I sincerely hope that no one gets hurt from their choice to work on a "live" tool.

frank shic
04-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Changed my blade recently and was doing some major fiddling inside the saw without pulling the plug and afterwards felt really stupid even though the possibility of hitting the switch accidentally is low why risk my career and favorite hobby? It helps that the plug is high up one wall next to the saw.

Michael W. Clark
04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
I have a static phase converter and lockable disconnect. I always throw the disconnect then hit the start button to discharge the SPC.

A magnetic switch is just as easy to bump and turn on as any other switch (maybe easier to bump). A breaker is not meant to be a switch. It could cause the breaker to have nuisance trips.

mickey cassiba
04-08-2012, 12:50 AM
When I worked for Delta we had a recall of Uni saws and 3hp shapers due to the machines switching themselves on due to bumps and jars. This occurred in the 2001-2002 series. The recall is/was documented on servicenetdot com. May be taken down now due to the sale of Delta.

Rich Engelhardt
04-08-2012, 6:51 AM
Live stim/ dead stim......no not dead stim,,,,,sleepy stim....
Every time I reach down inside the saw to change the blade, I think about that part of the movie The Sand Pebbles when the guy gets crushed under the pistons.
I unplug my saw every time.

Chris Parks
04-08-2012, 7:13 AM
I have had two incidents with saws that turn themselves on, one was a contractor saw and one was a bandsaw. The problem with both machines was sawdust in the switches that prevented them fully travelling to the off position. The TS was a no name contractor type saw and the BS is a Jet which I still own but check regularly. I think it should be part of a maintenance schedule to pull switches off machines and check for saw dust in them but if you have not encountered the problem why bother.

scott spencer
04-08-2012, 7:21 AM
I do cut the power to the TS but via a different route than most…..my TS power switch only gets enabled when I start the DC and requires a separate action. When the DC is off, power to the saw is disabled.

Myk Rian
04-08-2012, 8:56 AM
I am not surprise that nobody mention a call to the power company to turn your electric off

Huh? That makes no sense.

Larry Browning
04-08-2012, 9:38 AM
I voted disconnect. That is true as of yesterday! Before that I would have had to vote No! I'm feeling pretty good about myself today!:D

johnny means
04-08-2012, 9:39 AM
I dont unplug or kill power. I just don't see blade changing as being that risky. The only time my hands are in the saw is when the nut is loose. I do however take extra precaution when changing belts or working in machines.

Larry Browning
04-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Well, I'm a one man show so no carts are going to be bumping my switches, other than ghosts pushing them.
Leo,
I doesn't have to be a cart, I could happen by you bumping the table while changing the blade. I had pretty much never unplugged my saw when changing the blade and have never had a problem. But there have been several recent threads about magnetic switches just randomly turning on due to gentle bumps or even nothing noticeable at all. The solution can be as simple as unplugging or in my case installing a $20 disconnect. This is a pretty small price to pay to prevent a life threatening or life changing event.

You can do what you want in your own shop, but for me, I feel safer by taking such a small precaution.

I'm just sayin!!!!!!!

Andrew Joiner
04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
35 years ago was when I first encountered the situation. It still applies. Take a deadblow hammer and hit you mag switch and see for your self. You do realize if you push in the contractor manually it will start and stay running until you hit the off switch. The jarring of the switch does the same thing. I know what is true and not. I'm more concerned with my fingers and folks I know. If you choose to regard the information I'm not concerned about your hands and fingers. By the way my profession is problem solving in commercial woodworking shops so take the info what you thinks it's worth.

I've always unplugged routers (and portable tools that cut) since I had a close call with a router 40 years ago.

I have followed Rick's posts for a long time and I trust his opinion. I don't unplug my machines, but I will from now on.

Larry Fox
04-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I had wired my TS and Jointer and they receive their power through a disconnect. I always disconnect the power when changing blades - it's just too easy to not to. I have youngsters so all the stationary machines have lockable disconnects.

Dave Zellers
04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
So being one of the 25% who has never unplugged my TS in 40 years of changing blades, I'm interested in these disconnect switches.

I'm replacing the TS switch anyway so would the disconnect mount next to it?

Where do I get one?

Rick Christopherson
04-08-2012, 1:12 PM
When I worked for Delta we had a recall of Uni saws and 3hp shapers due to the machines switching themselves on due to bumps and jars. This occurred in the 2001-2002 series. The recall is/was documented on servicenetdot com. May be taken down now due to the sale of Delta.That's interesting. I never knew about any recalls, but that is the same timeframe when I first broke the news about it a year earlier with this article: magneticstarters.htm (http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/magneticstarters.htm). (and it was a Unisaw). After discovering this, I became more aware of the risks. Unfortunately, the cord on my Unisaw is not readily accessible due to the large outfeed table. That's when I started using two blade wrenches. I discovered a leftover wrench from a DeWalt DW745 fit the inboard flange of the Unisaw. It's the first to go on and the last to come off, and it always rests against the cast iron throat. In the absence of an electrical lockout, it serves as a mechanical lockout to prevent the arbor from turning.

ray hampton
04-08-2012, 1:47 PM
Huh? That makes no sense.

what if by a slim change that the saw start a electric fire, will you tell the fire fighters that turning the power to the house do not make sense

Rod Sheridan
04-08-2012, 7:21 PM
I always open th disconnect switch, all of my machines have them except for the drill press..................Rod.

Jeff Nicol
04-08-2012, 8:38 PM
We are all in charge of our own destiny, but unless there are other people in the area I have not disconnected in 40 years of using a table saw. I have been around machinery in every job I have ever had and in my daily escapades in my shop, I have never ever seen or ever heard of a machine starting on its own out of the blue. Sure accidents happen every day, that is why they call them accidents, but most all injuries that happen on a machine are due to "OPERATOR ERROR", so for those who are accident prone or have dogs, cats, chimps, kids, or anyone in the shop while working disconnect always. But for me, unless I am working on the motor or electrical circuit I don't disconnect, my choice.

Safety is yours to achieve, trust no one!

Jeff

Myk Rian
04-08-2012, 8:56 PM
what if by a slim change that the saw start a electric fire, will you tell the fire fighters that turning the power to the house do not make sense

I'm sorry, Ray. But you are the one not making sense.

Peter Quinn
04-08-2012, 9:17 PM
I watched a guy setting up a TS at work a few years back drop an adjustable wrench, well it just sort of slid off the saw top, bumped the mag starter, fired the blade up. His hands were so darn close to that spinning blade we both wet our selves. Science? No, but he sure didn't mean for it to start and it did. I have lock outs on every major shop tool except the TS, which I unplug for blade changes. I'd have one on the TS too but the space is not quite there where I need it. Yanking the cord works. I'm in a hurry? Heck of a way to save time. I'm not changing blades every three minutes, I always seem to find the time to decrease the possibility of an untended start to ZERO. That is the point really, if the motor is under power, it could start with your hands in it, or nearly as bad it could free spin and ruin your arbor. I've gone a lifetime without a major car accident, but I still wear a seat belt. And I own cars with air bags. Perhaps I should remove them because I'm such a safe driver?

ray hampton
04-08-2012, 9:44 PM
i'm sorry, ray. But you are the one not making sense.

that is enough myk you can tell the saw creek ers goodbye for me

Bruce Wrenn
04-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Having taught shop, the first thing I taught was to unplug all tools when doing any work near the moving parts! Still do the same in my shop. At school shop, and in mine, I located plug for saw where it is readily accessible.

Cliff Polubinsky
04-09-2012, 8:27 AM
I know I'm lazy so I made it easy and attached outlets to all my power tools with a hook to hold the cord when unplugged. Any time I'm working in the risk zone the tool gets unplugged.

Cliff

Pat Barry
04-09-2012, 1:02 PM
My Rigid tablesaw has a very nice on-off switch that is located where it isn't likely to be bumped. In fact, I doubt you could 'bump' it and get it to turn on the saw even by trying. On the other hand, if the saw is running, then a simple bump is all it takes to turn it off. Now I 'usually' do unplug the saw when I need to change blades. There are times I don't and then remember when I'm in process and I give myself a mental kick for lack of concentration. I am also sure that I don't sometimes remember at all - relying on ones memory is a big issue in itself. Now my power cord though needs repair since the frequent pulling the plug has caused the jacket to come out from the plug and the bare but insulated wires to show.

I think a bigger problem is changing a bit on a drill. There it could be very easy to get hurt so attach the chuck wrench to the power cord so you have to unplug it to use the chuck wrench.

Mike OMelia
04-09-2012, 2:55 PM
Call me chicken... but I figure there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that TS will turn on while its unplugged. There are few things where probabilities actually hit zero, This is one of them. My routers are another set of tools that I unplug before messing with the working end.

Mike

Chris Tsutsui
04-09-2012, 4:33 PM
I always unplugged the machine on my grizzly and bosch tablesaw.

The Hammer K3 has a failsafe that doesn't allow the machine to turn on when you are servicing the blade. Basically it's a switch that needs to be pulled in order to remove an access plate for the saw. You then need to put this switch in the "middle" position to turn the machine on. If the switch is in either of the other directions then the machine won't turn on. Even if you were to bump the switch, well you can easily bump it too far in which case the machine wouldn't turn on if you pushed and held the start button.

The second fail safe on the Hammer K3 is the secondary "off" button on the side of the machine that needs to be twisted and popped out in order to turn the machine on. So once you turn a machine off by using this "off button" on the side of the machine, the machine can't be turned on unless you twist the "off" switch.

On my Hammer A3-31 you can't just bump the switch to turn it on. You need to press the green "on" button, and HOLD the button about 2 seconds in order for the machine to power on. This might be another non-intentional safety feature that prevents the machine from being turned on with a bump.

Van Huskey
04-09-2012, 4:43 PM
Although I wouldn't be remotely scared to change a blade on my table saw with the power to the machine I still "always" flipped the disconnect. My saw is hardwired and I use a A/C disconnect, cheap, and does the job.

Rod Sheridan
04-09-2012, 6:30 PM
Hi Chris, that's all good however it's still just the control circuit that is interrupted on the K3/B3 and that's why they have a lockable disconnect switch on them.

I never lock the switch, however I always open the switch on the A3 and the B3 when changing blades/knives and cutters..............Rod.

HANK METZ
04-09-2012, 7:09 PM

Some magnetic starters have been known to power up if bumped or jarred, so it's not a foolproof precaution.

- Beachside Hank

Cory Maydew
04-15-2012, 11:30 PM
I used to unplug some of the time. Then I had a switch fail in the On position. It started getting a little touchy to turn on and off. Then one day it was sitting there across the room and turned on and wouldn't shut off. I had to replace the switch. I'm sure most people won't believe this and that is OK, but I now always unplug.

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I certainly believe you Cory, all things fail. The chances of a string of events occuring at just the right time to eat your hands off changing a blade are extremely low, but the damage would probably be much more severe than even the worst in use accident on a table saw, it could possibly sever both arms. I don't judge someone that chooses to accept this risk, but for me it takes very little time and is free otherwise so it works for me.

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-16-2012, 3:08 PM
When I set up my Unisaw i had an unused electrical knife switch. I have it installed on the support leg of my saw. It's very quick and convenient, so it always gets used.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/P4164690Large.jpg

Leo Graywacz
04-16-2012, 6:49 PM
That's nice.

Lex Boegen
04-16-2012, 8:02 PM
I hate the sight of blood, especially my own; so I always unplug every power tool before changing blades. The few extra seconds it takes are a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Bill Geibe
04-24-2012, 9:44 PM
I fell into the category of pulling the plug. But it was annoying because the outlet was at the back of the saw and often I would change the blade (from the back as it's a right-tilt Unisaw and I'm right-handed) then walk around to the front, hit the power and realize that I forgot to re-plug. Or drop the plug on the floor.

So I thought about the lockable disconnect. I ended up with a 60A Siemens unit from Lowe's for $21. It's way overkill for a 3 HP saw on a 20A breaker but I liked the big handle as it's easy to flip and easy to see. Some of the cheaper units had a switch inside the box cover which wasn't convenient and the switch position couldn't be seen easily. Now I can reach the disconnect from either side of the saw and can flip the arm even if I forget to while I'm on the blade change end.

Bill

Bud Millis
04-24-2012, 10:01 PM
It takes <10 seconds to pull the plug. On thing I've learned is to error on the side of caution. Is that 10 seconds going to get the project done that much quicker? Switches fail, pooh happens, the bottom line is, " are you feeling lucky?" Is it worth the risk of loosing a body part or getting hurt? NO.

John Coloccia
04-26-2012, 5:23 PM
I usually unplug on any other saw, but the SS has two switches on it....one for power and one to actually spin the blade. I figure that two switches plus the sensor that shouldn't let it start if I'm touching the blade it is probably good enough protection. Wouldn't pass an OSHA sniff test, but that's what I do.

mreza Salav
04-26-2012, 5:43 PM
I usually unplug on any other saw, but the SS has two switches on it....one for power and one to actually spin the blade. I figure that two switches plus the sensor that shouldn't let it start if I'm touching the blade it is probably good enough protection. Wouldn't pass an OSHA sniff test, but that's what I do.

Actually 3 (at least on my ICS version): there is a lockable disconnect on the side (that use when I want to change blade), there is one for power (the little one on the front) and then the 3rd one for actually spinning the blade. That's why I don't un-plug it.

Jeff Monson
04-26-2012, 5:51 PM
Mine is on a phase converter, so I make sure the phase converter is shut off before changing blades. It also has a safety switch on the cover for the blade which shuts down power to the machine when the cover is open.

johnny means
04-27-2012, 5:34 PM
Actually 3 (at least on my ICS version): there is a lockable disconnect on the side (that use when I want to change blade), there is one for power (the little one on the front) and then the 3rd one for actually spinning the blade. That's why I don't un-plug it.

Actually, five on the ICS. Remember, both doors have a switch. The break key also serves as a switch.

David Hostetler
04-27-2012, 5:40 PM
I always remove power from ANYTHING that has a cutting surface before I change a bit / blade... Even a jig saw... All 10 digits are still with me so I must be doing something right.

Kevin Presutti
04-27-2012, 6:34 PM
I am a big fan of knife switches. They are a little pricey but since I work commercial construction when the electricians are rewiring the hot foods or some such area that has lots of dedicated wiring circuits everything is new they put in and they just throw the old ones out. Since there's not much to go wrong with a knife switch that is seldom used I just ask and generally recieve. They usually have no problem giving them to me since they do it everyday. Be sure to read the specifications on the box to be sure it is rated for the the equipment you intend to use it for.

Richard Wagner
04-27-2012, 6:56 PM
I intend to unplug the table saw, jointer or router any time that I am changing blades/cutters. It is my purpose to lay the power cord across the unit as a reminder that I have unplugged. It does not always work but those are my intentions.

Ole Anderson
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM
I fell into the category of pulling the plug. But it was annoying because the outlet was at the back of the saw and often I would change the blade (from the back as it's a right-tilt Unisaw and I'm right-handed) then walk around to the front, hit the power and realize that I forgot to re-plug. Or drop the plug on the floor.

So I thought about the lockable disconnect. I ended up with a 60A Siemens unit from Lowe's for $21. It's way overkill for a 3 HP saw on a 20A breaker but I liked the big handle as it's easy to flip and easy to see. Some of the cheaper units had a switch inside the box cover which wasn't convenient and the switch position couldn't be seen easily. Now I can reach the disconnect from either side of the saw and can flip the arm even if I forget to while I'm on the blade change end.

Bill

I like that: big, easy to use, fool proof and cheap. Might just have to go that route. Maybe one reason I started this thread, was so I would get talked into breaking my bad habit of just trusting my Mag switch as the only thing standing between 240 volts and the saw motor while changing blades. Needed something easier and quicker than unplugging it.

And thanks to all 361 of you (so far) that took time to vote on this important issue.

Ted Baca
04-27-2012, 11:57 PM
I have a sawstop, and the switch on it has a toggle switch I just turn it off. I am the only one in the shop at the time so not much danger of anybody turning on by accident.

ray hampton
04-28-2012, 12:34 AM
I have a sawstop, and the switch on it has a toggle switch I just turn it off. I am the only one in the shop at the time so not much danger of anybody turning on by accident.

one surefire failsafe method would be to install a motion detecter so that you will break the beam when you are removing the blade

Larry Browning
04-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Unless the switch fails. I think this is the whole point of the thread. A complete disconnect is a much safer solution.

Bill Arnold
05-01-2012, 1:36 PM
My vote was 'No' for a blade change. I have a very large paddle extending from the switch across the front of the saw. Turning the saw on requires reaching your finger through the safety paddle. If I were working inside the cabinet for extended maintenance, I'd flip the breaker in the distribution panel.

Alan Lightstone
05-01-2012, 1:40 PM
I use the lockable disconnect on my SawStop. Since it has to do it's self-check, it's an extra belt and suspenders issue too.