PDA

View Full Version : Turned and not turned toys

Curt Fuller
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I've been making some toys for the local museum that my wife volunteers at and serves on their board of directors. They're making an exhibit of toys that pioneer kids would have played with. These are pretty simple things but my own grandkids seem to get a big kick out of playing with them. It's a switch from the Wii and Xbox stuff they're used to. The pic is some cup and ball toys and a jump rope with turned handles.
Then this video is of a really rough prototype of a toy I remember from when I was a kid. It's just made from a pine board and I did it just to see if it would work. It works pretty good so I'll try some with a little better wood and design....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvkQy7jke7M

John Keeton
04-07-2012, 1:44 PM
Nice work on those, Curt, and I sure wish I could get the grandkids to give up their phones, and other electronic gadgets long enough to try some "old time" toys. Neat video, too - I recall seeing these many years ago.

Didn't you make some of the cup and ball toys once before? Seems I recall someone did and I thought it was you.

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2012, 8:16 PM
Great job on all the toys Curt! I am sure the museum will appreciate your efforts!

Cool video!

Tom Winship
04-07-2012, 8:43 PM
Great gesture Curt. The first ever ball and cup I saw was in Juarez, Mx. about 60 years ago. They also had one where you tried to flip a doughnut shape ring onto a stick. (Both turned pieces).

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2012, 2:43 AM
Those are great looking pieces Curt. I remember having a cup and ball. I have been working on my grandson to get him away from the X-Box, Nintendo, etc.

Michelle Rich
04-08-2012, 6:54 AM
good job! glad you are supporting your local museum with your turning skills

Ken Whitney
04-08-2012, 9:36 AM
Great work and great cause.

Jeff Fagen
04-08-2012, 9:41 AM
I want to make some too.