PDA

View Full Version : Walnut & QSRO Bedroom Suite

G Douglas Fowler
04-06-2012, 7:12 PM
I recently posted photos of a similar bedroom suite in all Red Oak.

This suite is identical in design except that it is walnut and QSRO and includes a king bed. The headboard is resawn walnut crotch and QSRO. The top rail is laminated walnut strips and the post are also laminated to induce a slight flair toward the bottom. Finish is a pecan oil stain on the QSRO and the topcoat on the vertical surfaces is a combination of BLO/tung/turp and varnish. The top coat on the horizontal surfaces (tops) are 2 coats of BLOare 3 coats of varnish.

The low boy chest was the last peice to be finished and just after spraying the final coat of varnish, one of the finishing lights decided to topple over on the top. Needless to say the entire top had to taken down to bare wood and redone. Some pieces just never want to let go LOL.

Bob Lloyd
04-06-2012, 7:57 PM
Great job, I like the contrast and the details.

Todd Burch
04-06-2012, 8:34 PM
Look good! Does that style have a name? Did you make the pulls? What would you call that joinery for the drawers? What did you use for drawer bottoms? Dod you incorporate dust panels? What are the backs?

Todd

G Douglas Fowler
04-06-2012, 9:05 PM
Look good! Does that style have a name? Did you make the pulls? What would you call that joinery for the drawers? What did you use for drawer bottoms? Dod you incorporate dust panels? What are the backs?

Todd

The style is patterend after a design by Darrell Peart and is Green & Greene in origin. I shamelessly copied the tall chaest and then used the design elements for the remaining pieces.

Yes, I made the pulls.

The drawer joinery are proud finger or box joints.

Drwer bottoms are 1/4 oak ply.

No dust panels nor are there any web frames in the tall chest but there is an intermediate frame in the low boy.. Since the side panels carry the drawers, there is no stress on the horizontal structures (rails)

The back is 1/4" oak ply.

Jerome Hanby
04-06-2012, 9:40 PM
If my wife sees this I know what my to-do list is going to morph into. Nice work!

John Michaels
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I really like the style. The drawer pulls give the pieces a kind of medieval look. The figured walnut burl on the bed is outstanding!

Brent VanFossen
04-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Nice work. I love the contrast of the woods. And the joinery is so interesting.

Craig Behnke
04-07-2012, 8:29 AM
love it, especially the bookmatches under the arches on the headboard. that's the detailed stuff that screams attention to detail (to me anyway). I may have to...."borrow"....that design next year when i attempt a bed build. My wife has been collecting design ideas...i'm going to show her this one.

Scott T Smith
04-07-2012, 3:51 PM
Great design, great craftsmanship, and great wood choices! I like how you utilized the wide QSRO boards.

IMO, QSRO is one of the most under-appreciated woods available. It can have some excellent figure and great grain.

glenn bradley
04-07-2012, 4:12 PM
Great looking stuff. I really like the G&G and Peart details. I would not have thought of mixing the woods like that. Beautifully done.

Mark Valsi
04-07-2012, 4:25 PM
Very nice job. The design is very very interesting. All in all, a great job !

Bruce Page
04-07-2012, 5:26 PM
Simply outstanding! I really like the tall dresser!