PDA

View Full Version : Thrift store finds,part II

steven c newman
04-06-2012, 4:15 PM
When out on a Rust hunt this morning, counting a mountain Dew that i HAD to have, I spent about $12. I did get five handsaws, though. One was ( or says it was) an Adkins. Three nickel plated sawnuts, and a Warrented superior medallion. No "wheat" carved on the handle. Tooth count looks like about an 8, no number stamp i can find yet. There is an "etch' of sorts. A circle within a circle with Adkins in between them. A hole to hang it up with in the blade. Stamped into the handle: O.S.H.D. DIV 7 ( Ohio State Highway Department, Division 7) Someone painted the handle a silver colour, as well. Two kinks in the blade, so I'll have to learn to straighten a saw blade. 228828228831I think you can almost see the etch. Also in the haul today: A skew back "no-name' saw ( can't find the etch yet) with three "domed" sawnuts. Brass. Also a WS medallion in brass. "8" stamped in the blade. Blade does have a single kink, about half way down the blade. Handle looks comfy, though. 228832228833 Might be a disston?

Also in the grab bag, a "Shorty" saw about 20" long (maybe)with a high tooth count ( crosscut?) Some carving on the handle, no medallion, four plated sawbolts. 228834228835that "shorty" there in front of the others. Yep, it says $3, but I paid $2. Also in the grab bag, A Disston Keystone PACE MAKER saw. With a visable etch,no less. Three sawbolts and a brass medallion (WS)8 point skew back. Wheat carving on the grip area, only. 228836and NO kinks in this blade. The last saw in this group? An 11 point, skew back, with etch Disston U.S.A. D8 ( with the 8 inside the D) Brass sawnuts(4) plus a Brass medallion. Black electrical tape around the bottom horn, will have to check out what's under that. Camera died before i could get a photo(S). Handle is a "closed top" type. Someone carved H.C.J. on the top of the handle. Lots of etch on this blade, and NO kinks!

Well, along with some good news from my Heart Doctor ( You are doing GREAT!) wasn't that bad a morning. How was yours????:D

ray hampton
04-06-2012, 6:38 PM
congrats on a good buy

Jim Koepke
04-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks like some good saws to learn on then use.

I have been too busy working in my greenhouse to have time for rust hunting.

I am jealous…

jtk

steven c newman
04-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Update!! Shorty saw has been IDed! A George Bishop P80. Cleaned the saw plate, found a big old etch! I also sanded the tote down, and will refinish it. Four BIG Brass sawnuts, NO Medallion. Blade stamped as an 11 ppi.

No-Name Skew back: Normal place for the "tooth count" shows an "8", however, at the top of the plate, in front of the tote, is a "10" stamped so hard it shows through the other side.Domed nuts, are a "steel" colour, However, the medallion is a Brass WS. One nut has a Brass end on the slotted side. Someone stamped the number "10" right behind the medallion, and, the numbers 25056 at the top of the tote. This stamped numbers are on both sides of the tote. Plate has one kink, about 1/2 way down the line. Fixable....

Gary Daniel
04-08-2012, 8:04 AM
Hi Steven,

Interesting find, my father and grandfather both worked for the "Ohio State Department of Highways, Division 7" in Sydney. I'm close by in Russia.

Regards,

Gary

steven c newman
04-08-2012, 8:37 AM
My Late dad retired from there, back about 20 years or so. He was in charge of the "mechanic-wannabes" there in Sidney. I also had an Uncle, who worked with the Roadsign people. He would be out fixing signs all day long, with an eye ball trained towards the ditch. Why? Turns out the people do turn the darnest things out along the Highways. Uncle Chuck wound up with about three tool boxes FULL of tools. he was also pretty good at sharpening handsaws, too.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2012, 1:11 PM
Turns out the people do turn the darnest things out along the Highways. Uncle Chuck wound up with about three tool boxes FULL of tools.

A lot of things likely fall off of vehicles because someone thinks, "that ain't going anywhere." I even tie a lowly 2X4 if I am going further than the end of my driveway in my truck.

I have found lots of tools that fell off a running board or bumper. In some cases I was even able to find the original owners. One because he marked it with his license number. Another was because a neighbor lamented about loosing his box of tools and stuff.

Still have many with no way of knowing who lost them.

jtk

daniel lane
04-08-2012, 11:32 PM
A lot of things likely fall off of vehicles because someone thinks, "that ain't going anywhere." I even tie a lowly 2X4 if I am going further than the end of my driveway in my truck.

I have found lots of tools that fell off a running board or bumper. In some cases I was even able to find the original owners. One because he marked it with his license number. Another was because a neighbor lamented about loosing his box of tools and stuff.

Still have many with no way of knowing who lost them.

jtk

Unfortunately, the only thing folks don't seem to tie down around here are dead animals. :(

daniel

ray hampton
04-09-2012, 12:07 AM
leaving a toolbox on a running board is bad enough , how about a briefcase that contains 20 or 30 thousands dollars left on the car roof, the owners got the money back after someone found it

steven c newman
04-09-2012, 1:11 PM
Now the question is: WHO made the No-Name saw? Brass Warrented Superior Medallion doesn't say too much. Handle "Style" does NOT match any that Disston made. It IS a Skew back. The three saw bolts are a domed kind. Top horn is LONG, compared to the other saws in the "Stable" I have. Handle looks different....

As for the skew back blade: 1/2" longer than the other "26"s I have. Down at the toe, it is also 1/2' wider. Whereas Disstonians have a curved heel that curves towards the handle, No-Name curves towards the toe.There IS a tooth count stamp, in the "normal" spot.Any "clues" out there???

steven c newman
04-10-2012, 3:56 PM
No-Name saw MIGHT just might have a NAME. It IS a Warrented Superior, BUt the handle says No. 7 by disston, back around 1890s.

Stopped downtown (again) and picked up two shorty saws. One was a late model Disston, with a very "boxy" blond handle. Got it for the single sawnut i needed for another rehab. The second saw???? Well, blade is TRASH, got more wiggle than a Weeble. The handle , though, has some possibllities It is held onto the blade by four Brass Rivet-like items. The "medallion" IS Brass, but there is nothing showing through on the other side of the handle. There is a "face' on the medallion, with an arrow. The letters SWEIGO are below the "face". I like the handle shape better than the Disston's "handle-wanna-be". Maybe a Franckensaw in the making??? Pictures will be in after a nap, worked a 12 hour shift last night....

steven c newman
04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Ok, first off, a"Family Reunion Portrait" 229226and, next, the "Project Saw" parts. I can use a saw blade from a "late model" Disston Tool box sized saw229227Throw away that clunky handle, and take that other shorty saw229228and throw away that "Made in China" saw blade. I'll keep the handle , though, it fits my hand. I can then combine the two "parts'229229into a good Franckensaw. I might even keep that STEIGO Medallion. The medallion does NOT go all the way through the handle, and is just "eye candy". As for that "No. 7", it just MIGHT be a No. 76 Centenial type saw, with a WS medallion on it. At $2 per saw, I think i can afford to "play around' a bit with them. Disston/STEIGO Hybrid Saw will be for my shop.

Jim Koepke
04-11-2012, 11:52 AM
throw away that "Made in China" saw blade.

Even the lowly Chinese steel might come in handy. You can make templates, scrapers or even cut out pieces to nail over knot holes in the walls of an old out house.

At least put it in the recycling bin.

jtk

Jim Koepke
04-11-2012, 11:56 AM
leaving a toolbox on a running board is bad enough , how about a briefcase that contains 20 or 30 thousands dollars left on the car roof, the owners got the money back after someone found it

My wife and I were driving on US 101 out of Eureka, CA one night when I noticed a lot of stuff blowing across the road. I noticed a picture of President Jackson flying by, got off the highway and went back. Should have stopped instead. I did collect $182 in bills blowing around the roadway. Others had stopped while I was coming around. My biggest mistake was handing it to my wife to count. She didn't think I should be the one to spend it even though she just sat in the car.

jtk

steven c newman
04-11-2012, 6:23 PM
The Hybrid Disstonian-Steigo Saw229252waiting for a close-up229253 A refinished handle, with two medallions. 20" blade length @ 11ppi. never did find an etch on the disston blade, though. Might be an HK Porter era. $6.56 in parts. Re-sharpened rip. Cuts nice and clean, and fast. Handle fits MY hand like it was made for it. Well, still have a couple more saws to re-hab.

steven c newman
04-12-2012, 3:30 PM
Don't have a recycling bin. IF someone wants this old chineese saw plate, they are most welcome to it. It is very rusty and flimsy. Got about the same amount of curves as Playboy. :-))