PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot / Boise Cascade birch panel Warning!

Shawn Conklin
04-06-2012, 2:31 PM
So, as I have mentioned before we have a Purex 400i filter. One of the nice features is that is has a digital readout for filter quality. It measures gasses and if they are above ambient levels (or something to that effect) the meter increases and will eventually alarm, indicating normally that your carbon filter is saturated and its time to replace.

Its rare to see the meter go up until you have really used it up. Well not today!

I was in a pinch for some 1/4 panels and grabbed some from Home Depot. I don't know what is in this particular brand of panels but not only did the filter meter go up, it went max out and alarmed the machine. Not to mention our filter is only a few weeks old.

I thought it might be a fluke so I cleared the machine and retested with the same results. I pulled some other 1/4 birch panels we had from scrap and ran a bunch of deep cuts and the filter didn't move a tick.

So ... I don't know whats in it but if my chemical filter can't handle it, its gotta be bad. I don't really have the time to test and check msds sheets but I did want to warn everyone since I know its not common for people to have the filters with meters. Keep this in mind, especially if you vent inside.

Brand : Boise Cascade
5.2MM (1/4") Birch
On tag : "CARB P2 93120 TCP 1 CPA 3-08 FPPS"

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-06-2012, 9:06 PM
Thank you for warning us Shawn. While it might not be anything, it's good to know in case any of us start feeling a little woozy while cutting that brand of plywood!

Shawn Conklin
04-07-2012, 7:58 AM
Considering we can cut acrylic, plastics, painted items for hours on end and the sensors never read a thing I find it very disturbing that this wood makes it go off. And its consistent. I re ran a small 4 inch square cut and the filter started to go off right away ... moved to a different wood and a piece of acrylic and no alarms at all. There must be some type of chemical in the glue maybe that can't be absorbed by active carbon.

I know they have treated carbon for picking up special chemicals, buts its like a whos who list of people killing chemicals that require that, so if they are in the wood panel that's eery enough for me

Mike Null
04-07-2012, 8:35 AM
I wonder if they are using a glue with formaldehyde in the formula or if that would activate the the gauge.

This was taken from natural news.com

In fact, if you've ever walked into a new house or furniture store and felt your eyes and throat burn, your discomfort was most likely due to formaldehyde vapors emitted from composite wood materials. And not only can exposure to the formaldehyde fumes in these products cause respiratory, eye, nose and throat irritation, but the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) warns it may cause lung, nasopharyngeal and other cancers, too.

Craig Matheny
04-07-2012, 1:06 PM
I would suggest fining out who the supplier / manufacture is most likely imported from China if 4 x 8 sheets

Thomas Baranowski
04-09-2012, 5:55 PM
I wonder if they are using a glue with formaldehyde in the formula or if that would activate the the gauge.

This was taken from natural news.com
that or urethane glue and the laser is burning it , giving off cyanide gas

Martin Boekers
04-09-2012, 6:37 PM
Formaldahyde is some nasty stuff, I used it in a photographic process
back in the 70's & early 80's as a stabilizing agent. Then again there was
a lot of nasty chemicals in process back in those days.

I think if it had that you would know it as it is a very strong erritant when
air borne. They had issues with the trailer homes FEMA gave out after Katrina.
Had to sell them as scrap.

Craig Matheny
04-10-2012, 12:53 PM
No ply or paneling in the states is allowed to have Formaldahyde in it to my understanding any more so as I stated before go to HD get the manufacture and MSDS sheet on the product and see what it says then let us all know.

Patrick Richard
04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I would not think it is a hazardous material because it is a North American product. I would not be surprised if the sensor had a false positive, like a smoke detector that gets influence by dust or other particulates.

Craig Matheny
04-10-2012, 1:02 PM
I would not think it is a hazardous material because it is a North American product. I would not be surprised if the sensor had a false positive, like a smoke detector that gets influence by dust or other particulates. Patrick the thing we need to remember is if it from China you need to be careful look at all the kids toys that come to the states with high lead content find out where it came from

Tracy Fiegl
02-21-2014, 8:16 AM
The number on the tag on the plywood refers to the stringent phase two (P2) California air quality regulations, suggesting this panel meets the requirements for low formaldehyde emissions. Contrary to what was said above, urea formaldehyde glue is still used in the U.S. but it's probably on its way out because of California's regulations. I'm starting to use Purebond plywood which claims no added formaldehyde (soy based glue?).