PDA

View Full Version : Holly Bowl

Deane Allinson
04-06-2012, 1:12 PM
My first green turning. I wasn't real wet or anything but it made really long shavings and cut like butter. It would have been larger but I had to get it back into round 3 times. It was wierd how much the wood moved overnight, even in a plastic bag. I am only able to turn an half hour or so at a time. One coat so far of Tung oil. 6 1/2" dia x 3 1/2 tall.
Deane

John Keeton
04-06-2012, 2:32 PM
Really a neat color! Nice form, too, Deane.

charlie knighton
04-06-2012, 3:02 PM
very nice.....has it stoped moving?

Jerry Marcantel
04-06-2012, 7:50 PM
Nice looking bowl, Dean, and to echo Charlie, "has it stopped moving?"............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Fred Belknap
04-06-2012, 7:59 PM
Nice bowl. A friend gave me a small piece of holly and it is much lighter color than that. I have never turned holly, just curious.

Deane Allinson
04-06-2012, 8:11 PM
.....has it stoped moving?

Good question. I thought that it had finished. I was watching for warping and hadn't noticed anything, no cracks, etc. It is now 1/16" out of round, but unless I forgot how to read a tape measure it is a little over 1/8" smaller in diameter 8 hours later.
Deane

George Morris
04-06-2012, 8:29 PM
Very nice bowl,holly is a great wood to turn. Well done!

Thomas Canfield
04-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Duane,

Don't you just love the long streamers coming off the green wood. I bet you try to get more. I think that the normal way to turn green is to rough turn to about 10% of diameter thickness and let dry, or else turn to final thin thickness all in one turning to avoid the movement during any interruptions when turning and then let the piece warp on its own. You do have to often flatten out the bottom or else have a wobbly piece. I have found on returning some larger pieces that after rounding up the outside, and starting the inside, that it is necessary to again round up the outside as movement occurs with the wall thickness reduction and centrifugal forces. I am still trying to learn how to make some things work and that is a lot of the fun.

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Deane that is a really nice bowl. Love the simple form.

robert baccus
04-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Really nice shape and workmanship. all the holly, lots, i've turned? has been very white and is considered the whitest wood worlwide. i like your color--is it spalted or dyed? green holly and pear gotta be the best turning ever. Good luck----------------Old Forester

Michelle Rich
04-07-2012, 6:04 AM
interesting color variations in that..have fun watching it go thru metamorphosis!

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2012, 9:44 AM
Good looking bowl! I like the grain orientation but also figure that will induce a certain amount of warp! Hope it continues to dry without cracking! Nice work!