PDA

View Full Version : Rude Osolnik Piece

Jerry Rhoads
04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I recently aquired this piece from a fellow who was Chaplain at Berea College from 1954-1958(his first job as a minister). Who was selling off tools and wood so that he could move to a Condo close to his children and grandchildren.
I bought all his turning tools and wood. And directed others to go look at the other tools.

Staff members at Berea College were allowed to use the shop nights and weekends. He learned to turn from Rude.
he said that Rude really did not like to turn metals, but would show others how to turn them.

I ask if he knew when it was made, he thought a couple of minutes and said it was made in 1957. It was the year before he got married and moved to a Parish elewhere.

A mutual friend had told him that I was President of Flatland Woodturners, and we talked turning a bit (you know how turners can talk) he then went into house and brought back this alum. bowl and two small wood bowls that Rude had turned.
Event---ualy He offered to sell the aluminum bowl, so now it is mine, all mine aha,ha.ha.ha.

I am very proud to have one of Rude's pieces in my house. I thought about polishing it up, then decided to leave as is for now.
The piece is 5" tall, 11" at widest part of rim, base is 3-5/8".

John Keeton
04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Now, that is a prized possession!!!

Deane Allinson
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Lucky man. Great find. Great piece. It is nice that it has a new good home.
Deane

Rick Markham
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Super cool!!! Excellent piece for a collection.

Jamie Donaldson
04-06-2012, 1:13 PM
There are very few pieces of Rude's metal spinning around, so you do have a rare treasure. Rude taught several other turners like Dave Hout how to spin metal, and Dave teaches the methods on occasion. Students at Berea college were also allowed supervised use of the shops, and that's how Rude met his wife to be Daphne.

charlie knighton
04-06-2012, 3:05 PM
awesome.....

Bruce Markwardt
04-06-2012, 8:04 PM
I took two turning classes from Rude at Ernie Conover's back about 20 years ago. Dave Hout was his assistant. Rude was a joy to watch. Unbelievably efficient. Both years he did a metal spinning demo. No idea who ended up with the bowls he spun.

Jerry Rhoads
04-07-2012, 7:49 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I like to here about Rude as much as I can. I do wish that I had known him. I really enjoy watching the tape by the AAW. and am very touched by the way that he felt about Daphne.

I wish I knew that the AAW and any woodturners existed before 2004. I was way too busy earning money than enjoying life. Thanks for the Woodworkers
Shows at the time.
I beleive Nick Cook mentioned learning and working with Rude a couple of years ago when we had him at Central Illinois Woodturners.

Thanks again EVeryone, any input about Rude is greatly appreciated

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2012, 9:42 AM
Jerry - Congrats! That is quite the find!

If you ever watch the Antiques Roadshow - NEVER remove the natural patina of an object or it devalues the item considerably! I like this bowl - just as it is! Enjoy!!

Bruce Markwardt
04-07-2012, 10:43 AM
One of many things I remember about Rude...

He was telling us about turning his candlesticks. He would get up in the middle of the night and begin turning and continue until he had to go to work in Berea. From what I remember, it took him 6 minutes per candlestick, from a rough blank to a finished product. The amazing thing to me is that he went from one candlestick to the next without ever turning off the lathe. I had never seen anything like that. It was truly production turning. Time was money.

I bought a twig pot from him and it is one of my prized possessions.

Jerry Rhoads
04-08-2012, 7:35 PM
Thank you Steve, I like looking at it as it is also.

Thank you Bruce, I had heard that he worked prior to going to work.