PDA

View Full Version : $300 to spend on router fence...help me!

Matt Roth
04-06-2012, 9:31 AM
I have a $300 Woodcraft gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I have a pretty well equipped shop for my needs. The only thing I'm a little short on is my router table setup. I have my table built into the ts extension and have been pretty happy with the location. I've made a two part fence attachment for my unifence that has worked ok and got me by, but could certainly be much improved.

What would anyone point me toward with the above mentioned? ($300, woodcraft)

Myk Rian
04-06-2012, 9:52 AM
$300 for any fence is a waste of money (IMHO).
I use an Incra jig, and am completely happy with it.

Matt Roth
04-06-2012, 9:58 AM
I'd be perfectly happy to have some money left over for other things...if I can get a good setup for less, all the better!

Clint Olver
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Woodcraft carries GI. Their #50-295 router table fence is pretty slick. Independent, micro-adjustable infeed and outfeed fences. Built in hold-downs, dust pick up, and all steel/aluminum construction. It's under $150 I believe.

C

http://www.general.ca/site_general/accessories/saw/50-295CTe.html

http://www.general.ca/pg_index/manuals/50-195-295e.pdf

Brent Ring
04-06-2012, 3:48 PM
Incra and self made - They work the best for me!

Matt Roth
04-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks. I'm leaning toward one of the incras. Not sure which one yet. Ill probably stop in the store to check out the different bells and whistles.

Don Morris
04-07-2012, 6:48 AM
Whatever fence you get make sure you can add to the height of it. A drawback to some of the fences I've seen is they are about 4" - 5" tall and that's it. I have had a couple occasions to need a tall fence to stabilize something tall going across the bit. My Bench dog Pro Fence (gift) can be added to, to make it taller and that was very helpful. It also has a track in it to allow featherboards to be placed on it from above the bit, and that sometimes has been very helpful to have. Do some research, look at the capabilities and your needs, Surely for $300.00 you should find something to fit your requirements. I was lucky. LOML gave me mine as a Christmas present. She just called the guy we've dealt with for years at the local wood working store and told him to get me a good one. He did, I'm happy.

Bernie Kopfer
04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
I have the Jesum Fence and am very pleased with it. And you can always add the Miter-Slide to it and it becomes downright awesome.
Suggest you wait until Woodcraft has a everything off sale.

Greg Peterson
04-07-2012, 3:12 PM
For a few bucks (okay, perhaps a little more, but not much) you can pretty much make whatever kind of router fence you want. Key ingredients are MDF, laminate and T track.

There are some modifications I am going to make, but for now this fence provides all the utility I currently need. And I can always build another one if need be.

Don Jarvie
04-07-2012, 6:56 PM
Make your own and save the money. Most of these fences need t-tracks so the fence can move back and forth. Unless you think you can nail the tracks 90 degrees from the fence an aftermarket fence will work. I looked at all of the aftermarket fences in the 100.00 range and none would work well without the track.

I made a similar fence like Greg above and clamp it to my fence. It works fine. When I put my lift in my extension table I set it back about 14 inches so I have plently of room on the table to hold the board and don't really need the miter gauge.