PDA

View Full Version : Type I vs Type II fiberglass ladders?

Stephen Tashiro
04-05-2012, 10:25 PM
What is the difference between "Type I" and "Type II" fiberglass? I see this distinction made when step ladders are described.

Greg R Bradley
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Type III is homeowner only use: 200lb max
Type II is 225lb
Type I is 250
Type IA is 300 lb and what I use for commercial use.
Type IAA is 375lb

The Werner IA double ladders that I buy for commercial use are IA and not that expensive. That also gets you steps on both sides, wider base, and aluminum top for better stability.

Stephen Tashiro
04-06-2012, 1:26 AM
Thank you for that info.

I bought a Werner ladder a few weeks ago from a display at Home Depot which showed a color coding that Werner uses (or used) for their fiberglass adders. The color indicated its weight bearing capacity. I went back today and the display is gone.

Larry Edgerton
04-06-2012, 6:11 AM
The downside of the Werner double 1A ladders is that you can not get them close to a wall when the ladder is perpendicular to the wall, in other words you want to face the wall. Hard to work in a corner as well. I have a pair in 6' and 8' and I rarely use them. For my work they just never seem to work out. Seemed like a nice idea, but for me it has not worked out.

Larry

Brian Elfert
04-06-2012, 9:40 AM
The higher rated fiberglass ladders are heavy! We have a stepladder at work that I have used a time or two. I can barely lift it compared to the fiberglass ladder I have at home. The now retired electrician at work would only use a wood ladder. He didn't like the spring in fiberglass ladders.

Stephen Tashiro
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
What I don't like about my Werner fiberglass ladder is that it is hard to open and close. The cross supports have 3 sections to unfold instead of one or two. The non-step sides of the ladder aren't rigidly held in the same plane, so if you unfold one of them, it doesn't pull the the otherone out with it. You have to handle each of the legs individually.

Greg R Bradley
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
What I don't like about my Werner fiberglass ladder is that it is hard to open and close. The cross supports have 3 sections to unfold instead of one or two. The non-step sides of the ladder aren't rigidly held in the same plane, so if you unfold one of them, it doesn't pull the the otherone out with it. You have to handle each of the legs individually.

I have maybe 10 different Werner A-frame fiberglass ladders and I haven't ever seen one that worked this way. Perhaps a special purpose ladder?

Larry brings up a good point on a double ladder not being able to get as close to a wall if you are facing the wall. It is a trade off between that and stability so it probably isn't the best choice if you are buying ONE ladder for everything.

David G Baker
04-06-2012, 12:09 PM
I have the double sided 10 foot fiberglass Werner that is rated for 350 pounds. I really like the ladder and use it a lot but it is heavy and as I get older it is a lot more work to move than it once was. I was shocked at the price when I purchased it at around $350 but if you need two people to work on a project it is great with one on each side of the ladder as long as the combined weight does not exceed the weight it was rated for. I weigh around 200 pounds so I have to look for someone under 150 pounds to help me. :D

Steve Costa
04-09-2012, 5:53 PM
I would like to suggest the Little Giant Ladder. All aluminium, works as both a step ladder to 9 feet and an extension ladder to 17 feet. Not a good choice if you are an electrician but around my house it is the only one I need. Sold both my 28 ft and 10 ft ladders after our house was built.

Jerome Stanek
04-09-2012, 7:01 PM
plus 1 on the little giant I have all kinds of ladders and now my go to is the little giant. the only times I break out a different one is when I need a 16 foot step or my 28 foot extension.

Pat Barry
04-09-2012, 8:16 PM
This is a great question to askk in google. You will find answer very quickly.

Larry Edgerton
04-10-2012, 6:00 AM
The Little Giant type is fine if you are just running up and down, but you do not want to spend a lot of time on one. I have a couple for stair work and other odd situations, and they do what they are intended for well, cope with odd setups but more than just a few minutes on them and my legs start to hurt.

Larry

Rod Sheridan
04-10-2012, 8:35 AM
One additional factor to consider when choosing the ladder rating is the weight of tools or parts you will be handling while on the ladder.

Also add in other loads such as pushing/lifting objects while on the ladder.

It's surprising how rapidly the loads add up.................Rod.

Greg Portland
04-11-2012, 6:39 PM
The Little Giant type is fine if you are just running up and down, but you do not want to spend a lot of time on one. They are also HEAVY. For a 1-ladder household where you need the features I think they are a good solution.