PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone dealt with Suregrave?

James Higgon
04-05-2012, 5:35 PM
Hello all, i have a Trotec Rayjet on order from Suregrave, UK. Now the package comes with a days training which is vital to me as i have no previous laser experience. They got the unit in stock and said they could deliver the next day and i was to pay on delivery. I said i would prefer to have my training first before taking delivery, as there is little point me having the machine until then. They said this was fine, so i arranged training for one day and delivery for the day after. They then said they needed payment at least two weeks before delivery (after having already told me i can pay on delivery) so the payment could "clear", even though i will be paying by credit card which clears immediately. I then contacted them again saying i wasnt really up for paying that large a sum of money that much in advance, and i didnt really see why it needed time to clear. They then said that i could pay the day before training, and that they couldnt take payment on the day of training as they sometimes have problems with taking card payments on the day..... all sounds very dubious to me. It seems that for some reason they really dont want to wait til the day of training to take payment, at a guess i am thinking they want to take the money, and then delay the training so they no longer have to bother doing it, so i am not parting with my money until the training day. Has anyone had any experience with them? as at the monent its making me very wary and is coming across very unprofessiona

Martin Boekers
04-05-2012, 6:00 PM
Don't know about them or Trotec in the UK, I have had about 3 phone calls from Trotec in the last two weeks informing me a great discounts
on the 80watt Rayjet. You may do a bit more research before buying. In this economy most are will to work with you. Trotec from everything
posted here is a great company. If I were you I may contact their headquarters before proceeding.

Marty

Craig Matheny
04-05-2012, 6:52 PM
I know when I bought my Epilog I had to pay up front? took week for delivery.

Martin what type of deals are they giving

matthew knott
04-05-2012, 7:43 PM
Suregrave are a big outfit, im suprised you dont have to pay up front to be honest, credit cards dont clear straight away, they wont see the cash for a while and could be subject to a charge back (it happens) Also they a right with having problems with card payments, they could send a guy to do the training, you try and pay and your card could be declined, i had this happen to me trying to buy a motorbike at a main dealer, it took 4 hours to sort the payment with calls going back and forth between me, my bank and the card issuer, they try to avoid fraud and a big charge set of alarm bells. You should be protected if you pay buy credit card anyway. I think the safest/fairest option would be to offer a deposit to cover the training, also cant they train you on your machine at your place when the deliver it, do they not set it up for you.

Dee Gallo
04-05-2012, 8:06 PM
You should definitely contact the main sales people and check on their procedure - it might be one way or the other, but it should not change by the day or person you talk with. Also, according to Keith, Trotec will give Sawmill Creek members a discount... so you should check that out too!

cheers, dee

James Higgon
04-06-2012, 3:35 AM
[QUOTE=matthew knott;1907225]Suregrave are a big outfit, im suprised you dont have to pay up front to be honest, credit cards dont clear straight away, they wont see the cash for a while and could be subject to a charge back (it happens) Also they a right with having problems with card payments, they could send a guy to do the training, you try and pay and your card could be declined, i had this happen to me trying to buy a motorbike at a main dealer, it took 4 hours to sort the payment with calls going back and forth between me, my bank and the card issuer, they try to avoid fraud and a big charge set of alarm bells. You should be protected if you pay buy credit card anyway. I think the safest/fairest option would be to offer a deposit to cover the training, also cant they train you on your machine at your place when the deliver it, do they not set it up for you.

They told me if you pay up front you get delivery/installation/training all at once. But because I'm getting their finance deal I have to travel to them to get training and set it up myself. its mostly the fact that its not consistent they is worrying me, but I have sent them an email expressing my concerns so hopefully it will get sorted. I wasn't aware that they could have problems taking payment

Mike Null
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I can't imagine any company shipping a laser to you without collecting the money up front. That is too great a risk.

To Matthew. If you want to post something like that then document it. Surely you must realize that information is inaccurate.

James Higgon
04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Mike Null;1907494]I can't imagine any company shipping a laser to you without collecting the money up front. That is too great a risk.

To Matthew. If you want to post something like that then document it. Surely you must realize that information is inaccurate.[/QUOTE

Hello I never wanted it delivered without payment. I wanted to pay on the training day and have the machine delivered the next day.

Joe Hillmann
04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I thought it was just common practice when you got a laser for them to deliver it and set it up and then come back the next day to train you on how to use it, using your computer and your laser. In fact when I bought my last laser I actually had him delay the training for 2 weeks so that I could build all the custom jigs I would need and then he could be here to help me make the files for each jig. Had I been trained first then received the laser I think I would have ended up forgetting a lot of things compared to being trained on my laser.

Edit: I wan't to point out I do not own a suregrave but I do own several brands of lasers and they all did training in my shop with my laser after it was installed.

James Higgon
04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I thought it was just common practice when you got a laser for them to deliver it and set it up and then come back the next day to train you on how to use it, using your computer and your laser. In fact when I bought my last laser I actually had him delay the training for 2 weeks so that I could build all the custom jigs I would need and then he could be here to help me make the files for each jig. Had I been trained first then received the laser I think I would have ended up forgetting a lot of things compared to being trained on my laser.

Edit: I wan't to point out I do not own a suregrave but I do own several brands of lasers and they all did training in my shop with my laser after it was installed.

Yes they say this is what they usually do but for some reason they don't on finance. Delivery is only the day after training so should still be fresh in my mind hopefully

matthew knott
04-06-2012, 3:59 PM
I would ask if they would come and set up the machine and train at your place (insist on it if you can)
Not sure what you mean Mike, the info is straight from experian and riskdisk it's what they say and they are a leading credit agency! Remember this is trotec uk ltd, not trotec! I dont know how they work their figures but that's what it says, I was expecting to be way better and was hoping to assure the op he had nothing to worry about( I still don't think he has) but as it was low I thought I would mention it!

Mark Sipes
04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Suregrave is the owner of Dahlgen (UK) engravers ( rotary ). Not a fly by night company. Not sure why you want to be trained without having a machine. Most of your questions will come when you go to set up the machine to run. What graphic software are you going to use. Trotec does not provide the graphics program.... CorelDraw ?? very popular. it will take you longer to learn Corel than it will to position the material, set the height and run the laser. Trotec is very user friendly.

James Higgon
04-07-2012, 3:36 AM
Suregrave is the owner of Dahlgen (UK) engravers ( rotary ). Not a fly by night company. Not sure why you want to be trained without having a machine. Most of your questions will come when you go to set up the machine to run. What graphic software are you going to use. Trotec does not provide the graphics program.... CorelDraw ?? very popular. it will take you longer to learn Corel than it will to position the material, set the height and run the laser. Trotec is very user friendly.

I have got coreldraw, had a good play with it and they are going to train me a bit on it too. Id of rather had some training on the machine before I have to set it up myself, also it ensures that I get the training if I receive it before the machine

matthew knott
04-07-2012, 1:24 PM
I only hear good things about trotec, I don't think you can go wrong with the brand! Just thing instal and training at your place with your machine is a good idea!

James Higgon
04-25-2012, 2:52 PM
Well i received my machine today, after having training yesterday at Trotec. I am amazed at how easy this is to use, to be honest i could of figured it out myself without the training it is that easy.
Setup was faultless and took minutes, even though i am a complete novice and know nothing about computers, then was engraving wood, plastic and leather perfectly after a few tweeks to the power/speed settings. Everyone had me scared saying that lasers NEVER work straight out of the box and without problems, this definately wasnt the case. Now i just need to figure out coreldraw, not quite so easy to master as the laser unfortunately!

Mike Null
04-25-2012, 3:18 PM
James

Happy to hear all went well.

If it's any consolation, even after 15 years I still check out Corel tutorials nearly every day. But I am fascinated with all it can do so I may get a bit more involved than most.

There are now an amazing volume of youtube tutorials on the web. Alex Galvez is my favorite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtpo5TfrZo