PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using Skarpaz saw blades?

Wayne Jolly
04-05-2012, 3:39 PM
I searched this site and found a couple of old (2 year) threads that mention Skarpaz saw blades, but it didn't seem like anyone was actually using them. I recently bought a PM66 and the seller included, among other things, a Skarpaz blade. It appears to be a good quality blade with a very heavy plate, and carbides that rival Forrest carbides. The main difference I can find between the Skarpaz and the Forrest is the carbide itself. The Skarpaz website says C3 carbide where Forrest uses C4.

The attached photo shows the Skarpaz blade with a Forrest WWII custom grind underneath it. The two blades are both standard kerf but are for different purposes. the Forrest is a WWII with a #1 grind on it which leaves flat bottom kerfs for things like box joints. The Skarpaz has a triple-chip grind, I guess for melamine or ??? But you can see the carbides and that they are quite substantial on both blades.

But the question is . . . is anyone here actually using a Skarpaz? If so, how do they stack up? Good quality cuts? Long lasting? Would you buy another? Comments? (OK, I guess I should have said "the questions are . . .")

Thanks,

Wayne

Rick Lizek
04-05-2012, 8:05 PM
Been using Skarpaz blades for over 10 years in a commercial timber framing and Millwork shop. Great tooling at great price. Also great planer/jointer knives. You only have to look at their catalog to see they are industrial quality. They don't advertise in the hobby mags either.

Tom Walz
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Skarpaz is industrial quality and sold through top level sharpening shops.

As with Popular Tools and Tenryu, these are not retail or big box blades. These blades are designed for long term clean cutting.