PDA

View Full Version : A Creeker visits with Reed Gray

mike ash
04-05-2012, 1:32 PM
Yesterday I was fortunate in being able to spend a few precious hours with Reed Gray in his shop. The stated purpose was to get some hands-on training in the use of the McNaughton coring system, and sure enough, we did take one of the Ambrosia blanks I received from Mike Cruz and made 3 nice nested bowls (photos later, as I've got them wrapped for finished drying). After watching Reed's DVD on the McNaughton, and experimenting on my own before visiting Reed helped me with some basic understanding and better prepared me to ask meaningful questions of Reed. Bottom line, is that I was impressed with the capability of the coring system and am now more confident as I embark on my own. I can do this!!!!!

Also of great benefit in my visit was being able to witness some of Reed's tools, sharpening techniques and turning procedures. I'd heard the Reed uses a lot of scrapers, and I did see him using a number of them....however he often uses them in a technique he calls a scraping shear. This is going to be a technique I'm going to develop, as it really helps with getting that clean finsh that I've had trouble with and had to go to extreme sanding previously. Now I know that my exposure is somewhat limited, but it was a first for me to see some of the turning tools that Reed uses (ie, fluteless gouges & bottom-feeding gouges). Reed is working on an adjustable sharpening stand that I am going to be getting when he gets them perfected. Plus, he is working on a comprehensive instructional video, and based on the time I spent getting some of this first hand....I'll be looking for that video too.

Great visit to a great host/mentor. Thanks, Reed!!!!!!

Mike

Roger Chandler
04-05-2012, 1:40 PM
Mike, Mike, Mike.......you know the rules here on SMC.........no pics..........didn't happen [well almost ;)]

Sounds like a great time...........hope you can get some pics up on the board for us to celebrate with you and Reed. Creeker visits.......you know what Bernie W. says........."they are the best!" :)

My question is this........did you get to play on his Robust American Beauty?

charlie knighton
04-05-2012, 2:07 PM
i got to meet Reed briefly at st paul, and read all his posts, Mike nice gloat

Jim Underwood
04-05-2012, 5:48 PM
Color me glowing green with envy! Great gloat. I'd love to hang out with Reed for a few hours myself.... I know y'all had a good time.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-05-2012, 6:17 PM
Congratulations!

Reed is one guy who I would enjoy meeting! Robo Hippy meets the CI-borg.

Bernie Weishapl
04-05-2012, 6:37 PM
Congrats Mike. Reed is on my list to visit. I read most everything he posts and have learned a ton.

Nate Davey
04-05-2012, 6:37 PM
Sounds like a great trip Mike. Can't wait for the pictures.

Mike Cruz
04-05-2012, 6:54 PM
Cool, Mike! Glad that AM got put to good use, with as little waste as possible. I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to see the pics...

Josh Bowman
04-05-2012, 7:21 PM
I bet you had a great time. I look forward to seeing your bowls. Between Reed and Kathy M. I finally have declared success with the McNaughton, really like his technique with starting with the largest bowl first by adding a reverse tenon on the top of the blank. The technique not only preserves the largest bowl, it allows for a "do over" if you knock the blank off the chuck:eek:......which I haven't done in a while thanks to Kathy M's advice.

Steve Schlumpf
04-05-2012, 9:28 PM
Had the pleasure of getting to know Reed at the Creeker dinner during the St. Paul symposium last year. No doubt about it - he is good people and I am sure you learned a lot during your visit to his shop! I look forward to the photos!

Reed Gray
04-06-2012, 12:41 AM
I had a lot of fun as well, and Mike left me some delicious deer pepperoni. I have as much fun mentoring as I do turning. Any one is welcome in the shop if I am at home. Hope to meet some more Creekers down in San Jose.

robo hippy

John Keeton
04-06-2012, 6:09 AM
The real question is - was he bearded or not!?!?!:D I am betting, going into warmer weather, that he is once again clean shaven.

Reed is a super nice guy, great to talk with, and full of knowledge. There is nothing to compete with the hours and hours of turning experience he has. You are a lucky fellow, Mike!

Roger Chandler
04-06-2012, 8:59 AM
Okay the visit and all must have been nice Reed...............but where are the pics? Seasoned veterans of the creek must know that if a creeker visit occurs, there must be pics!!! [that is unless you ran into one another unexpectedly, but that is not the case with this visit!] :confused:

mike ash
04-06-2012, 9:31 AM
Where are the pics??!! I'll have to beg forgiveness and give myself a piece of advice for next time to not only take pics of us two old guys together, but also of some of the tools and the grinds that impressed me!

His Beard?? Yep, he still fending off the cold and wet weather in Eugene, in fact it hailed while I was there!!! He just might be shedding his beard in time for the San Jose Symposium however.

Roger Chandler
04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Where are the pics??!! I'll have to beg forgiveness

Okay this time Mike.....we forgive you.......but don't let it happen again! :p:D:D:D

Reed Gray
04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
No Pictures???? Honestly, I do not have a camera, and my phone is not on the internet, and I don't know how to post them any way. A bit of a techno fossil.

As to being peltless, shaving is an unnatural act. I used to shave it off every 10 years just for shock effect. This year was supposed to be one of those years, but I said the heck with it. I just never did like shaving as it is hard on my sensitive skin.

robo hippy