PDA

View Full Version : Silktree Box

Michael Stafford
03-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Here is a little box about 2 1/2" in diameter and 3 1/4" tall made from a piece of Silktree wood that my friend Dave Smith sent me. A most unusual wood with a distinct spicy smell as it was turned.

Comments appreciated....

David Fried
03-27-2005, 12:58 PM
I've never heard of Silktree but it's a pretty wood and you made real nice box from it!

Dawn Sunkle
03-27-2005, 9:53 PM
Beautiful wood. You did it justice :)

Dawn

Jim Ketron
03-28-2005, 7:07 AM
Great work! O great box master!:D

I love the way the endgrain looks inside
Jim

Raymond Overman
03-28-2005, 7:40 AM
I like the long tenon on the bottom piece of the box where it fits into the top. Boxes are so much fun to make. Good job.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2005, 7:44 AM
Beautiful piece of work Mike! Gorgeously figured wood!

Dave Smith
03-28-2005, 11:05 AM
FYI - Silktree, albizia julibrissin Durazzini
It is often called mimosa-tree because the flowers are similar to the herbaceous sensitive-plants ( genus Mimosa). Silktree leaflets fold up at night; those of the sensitive-plants fold up when touched. Interesting information but it is had to work into a conversation unless you are a wood turner.

Silktree is the only wood that has given me a problem when turning it. I have to ware a dust mask when turning and sanding. No problem with skin contact but for some reason I feel constriction in my throat. Also I get an uncontrollable urge to expel air for my lung at the speed of sound. Some times know as a sneeze. Now you know why people sneezing can hurt your ears. I think the culprit is volatile oils which are released with the heat generated during turning and sanding. Sweeping up chips and dust after turning does not bother me. Silktree is a member of the legume family and, so far, none of the other legumes I have turned product the same effect.

Dave Smith

Full of useless information in Longview, WA.