PDA

View Full Version : Laser Polycarbonate

Chris DeGerolamo
04-05-2012, 8:47 AM
(From http://www.epiloglaser.com/laser_faqs.htm#polycarbonate)

"Can you cut or engrave polycarbonate with a laser system?

Cutting: Thin sheets of polycarbonate can be cut with our CO2 laser systems, but tends to discolor when heated by the laser beam."

I was under the impression that lasering polycarbonate was a no-no with the whole vinyl thing....anyone know why Epilog's website says otherwise? I have a potential job marking some pieces but do not want to destroy my machine to make a buck.

Mike Null
04-05-2012, 9:11 AM
You can engrave and cut polycarbonate. You may not like the results.

http://synrad.com/search_apps/materials/Plastics.htm

Bruce Volden
04-05-2012, 9:15 AM
Chris,

I don't believe there is any PVC (vinyl so to speak) in poly. It will throw out green smoke and yellow flames. Also it doesn't cut easily, meaning acrylic settings won't work.

Bruce

Richard Rumancik
04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Polycarbonate films will generally cut fine for thicknesses below .030". The edges will tend to turn slightly golden color. On very thin films, discoloration might not be noticable. At .060" (1.5 mm) you will probably see rougher edges, and darker residue on the edges. At .100" (2.5 mm) and up you will probably see very rough edges and significant carbon residue.

You can probably mark a legible part number or identification on polycarbonate but you cannot make a decorative mark. You might need to use a paper mask to reduce smoke damage when marking.

If there are additives in the material (flame retardants, glass fibre, color) then it is a different ball game. Every material needs to be tested for suitability.

As for as hazards when cutting - use air assist and use a good exhaust system as usual. Keep your face out of the laser bed. Have good shop ventilation (outside air.) Clean any smoke reside in the machine after use. And yes, I am sure that the MSDS will list a lot of toxic chemicals generated by burning polycarbonate. (As will 99% of the materials that are regularly laser cut, including paper and wood.) Polycarbonate is not a "prohibited" material from the point of view of the manufacturers, but many operators choose not to process it.

Michael Hunter
04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
"Poly" is OK - many plastics have poly in their names and are safe to cut.
It is short for "polymerised" which is what many plastics are.

"Vinyl" you need to be careful with. The name describes an arrangement of carbon and hydrogen atoms (which is perfectly safe to heat in the laser beam).
When vinyl is chlorintated or flourinated to make plastic, there are machine and health problems.
On the other hand, there are other vinyls which are OK - PV acetate, PV alcohol etc. pose no particular dangers and release only CO2 and water when burnt.

Chloride, Flouride - THESE are the real danger signals.

Hope this helps to avoid future panics!