PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Maple & Cherry Hall Table

Keith Starosta
04-04-2012, 8:20 PM
I've never actually used tiger maple as a primary wood in a project, which is weird because it is my favorite figured wood! I've been wanting to replace a small table in our front hall for some time now. When I saw the plans for this table on my Woodsmith DVD, I knew I found the project. The overall dimensions are 45"x15"x28", which make it perfect for its use in our hall. I wish my photography skills were to the point that you can really get an idea of how clear and deep the finish turned out...

Not only was this the first time I've used a figured wood such as this, but its the first time I've had to hand-shape a component for a project. The legs splay out just enough to give it a more elegant look. It's final placement is going to darken the cherry pretty quickly...

I absolutely LOVE the striping!!!

To achieve the finish, I first wiped on a heavy coat of Transtint/alcohol, dark maple was the "flavor". I used sanded it down with 320, then wiped on a coat of BLO. I wasn't originally going to go with this step, but I'm glad I did. It really made the cherry pop. I then wiped on dewaxed shellac, followed by four coats off General's gloss Arm-R-Seal. A coat of paste wax later, and here we are...

228686 228687

I really took my time on this project, and I'm pretty happy with the end results. Thanks for looking!

- Keith

Richard Wolf
04-04-2012, 8:29 PM
Nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2012, 8:54 PM
Very pretty Keith! It has a "light" or "delicate" feeling to it.

Keith Starosta
04-04-2012, 8:55 PM
Thanks, guys!

Matt Meiser
04-04-2012, 9:21 PM
Very nice.

If it sees shadows like that a lot rotate it very frequently!

Todd Burch
04-04-2012, 9:25 PM
Good job Keith!!! I like it. So, how long? ;)

Jim Tobias
04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Very nice Keith. I really like the the overall design and look of the table. Nice legs and the top panel really pops!

Excellent job!

Jim

John Michaels
04-05-2012, 1:03 AM
Very impressive!

Keith Starosta
04-05-2012, 6:30 AM
Good job Keith!!! I like it. So, how long? ;)

You mean, how long did it take to complete? Chops-busting aside ( :D ), I've got about 18 hours into it. I had to re-do the frame that wraps around the top maple panel. The underside of that frame has a deep cove on it that was to be milled at the table saw. I really wasn't happy with my first effort, so I scrapped it and tried again. Glad I did! Much better the second time around.

Joe Leigh
04-05-2012, 7:18 AM
Nice looking piece. What method did you use in the construction of the top? Is the center panel floating in the frame? Just asking because I would be concerned about wood movement separating the mitered frame.

Mark Valsi
04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Beautiful project !! Looks good

Keith Starosta
04-05-2012, 2:55 PM
Nice looking piece. What method did you use in the construction of the top? Is the center panel floating in the frame? Just asking because I would be concerned about wood movement separating the mitered frame.

The top panel is indeed floating in the frame.

Thanks!

Paul Cahill
04-05-2012, 3:41 PM
Very nice. Elegant.

Paul

Jim Becker
04-06-2012, 9:11 PM
"_________ outstanding" :)

Bobby O'Neal
04-16-2012, 9:26 AM
That is gorgeous. Great work.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-16-2012, 2:08 PM
Cherry and maple go together like peas and carrots. Nice work!

Jeff Monson
04-16-2012, 5:57 PM
Thats super nice, I love maple and cherry together. The top frame looks like a nice design, is the underside a cove cut on the tablesaw??

Keith Starosta
04-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Thats super nice, I love maple and cherry together. The top frame looks like a nice design, is the underside a cove cut on the tablesaw??

Thanks, Jeff! You're correct...the frame around the top panel has a table saw cove cut on the underside. While it's a pretty common method of achieving a large cove, it was the first time I ever attempted it. I am pretty happy with the results, and look forward to the next time I get to use that method!

- Keith