PDA

View Full Version : Why is laser spelt with an 's'

jason harris
04-04-2012, 6:45 PM
Silly thread really but for some reason it interested me. I am in NZ so most of the time I spell words with a 's' instead of a 'z'.

I am too lazy to change my computers spell checker so I am always seeing the computer tell me I have spelt things incorrectly when I use an s.

So I wondered, why is laser universally spelt with an s. Why don't americans spell it lazer? Dont you guys feel strange putting an S there as I feel strange if I use a Z where an S is common for us?

OK, thats my stupid thread.

George M. Perzel
04-04-2012, 7:01 PM
light amplified simulated emission radiation

dave hensley
04-04-2012, 7:02 PM
Here ya go... :)

The term "laser" originated as an acronym (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/wiki/Acronym) for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

More info here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 7:02 PM

Can't argue with you there! LOL. I think you'll find that laser is spelt laser world wide, even here in Australia but I've always wondered why the Kiwi's always what to change the english language. Example why do you say Sex for the number six and refer to fish and chips as fish and chups???? Both of these are questions that my Kiwi mates avoid to answer.

Jason Roehl
04-04-2012, 7:04 PM
Not to split hairs (which would be easiest with a laser, I suspect), but the proper decoding of the acronym is, "Light Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation".

jason harris
04-04-2012, 7:15 PM
Of course, I didn't even think of laser being an acronym.

I dont want to spell it with a z. Spelling things with a z feels like I am doing things with the wrong hand.

Steve, its common that when shopping, kiwis will get asked by lovely ladies in a store how many items we want. We say six please. We are not asking for 6.

jason harris
04-04-2012, 7:17 PM
PS Steve, when you guys come over here and say 'I want a router' to the lady at the computer shop you might get a slap :)

Doug Griffith
04-04-2012, 7:19 PM
Isn't "spelt" a type of wheat?

jason harris
04-04-2012, 7:21 PM
My dictionary says that spelt is chiefly british instead of spelled. I guess we took the short cut this time.

Brian Kent
04-04-2012, 7:37 PM
I understand why we spell it "laser" but why do we pronounce it "lazer"? Are we just getting lasy?

Dan Hintz
04-04-2012, 7:45 PM
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways... ?

mickey cassiba
04-04-2012, 7:50 PM

There you go Dan, stirrin' the pot. ;)

Chuck Stone
04-04-2012, 8:05 PM

" The other night I came home late, and tried to unlock my house with my car keys.
I started the house up. So, I drove it around for a while. I was speeding, and a cop
pulled me over. He asked where I lived. I said, "Right here, officer". Later, I parked it
on the freeway, got out, and yelled at all the cars, "Get out of my driveway!"---Steven Wright

Bill Cunningham
04-04-2012, 8:06 PM
Just to hedge my bets, I secured my domain name with a 's' and with a 'z' the 'z' gets autorouted (slap:p) to the 's'

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 8:36 PM
My dictionary says that spelt is chiefly british instead of spelled. I guess we took the short cut this time.

The one thing this forum lacks is spell check.... where's the spell check... I miss that!

To cover myself I always say to people I'm a Graphic Artist not a Typist. Also, when you guys are here we forgive the language indiscretions and just find the pronunciation very amusing, I’m sure with the tables turned the “ladies” would just say “your an aussie aren’t you” and I’d avoid the slap. LOL.

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 8:43 PM

Hey Dan, we'd get arrested here if we drove on a Parkway because a parkway here is considered a nature reserve, playing or recreation field. Its funny how the english language is screwed up from country to country, you just have to laugh!.

jason harris
04-04-2012, 8:43 PM
The one thing this forum lacks is spell check.... where's the spell check... I miss that!

To cover myself I always say to people I'm a Graphic Artist not a Typist. Also, when you guys are here we forgive the language indiscretions and just find the pronunciation very amusing, I’m sure with the tables turned the “ladies” would just say “your an aussie aren’t you” and I’d avoid the slap. LOL.

Perhaps, just dont go in all James bond and say 'my name is Cox, Steve Cox and I 'd like a router!'

Craig Matheny
04-04-2012, 9:08 PM
Silly thread really but for some reason it interested me. I am in NZ so most of the time I spell words with a 's' instead of a 'z'.

I am too lazy to change my computers spell checker so I am always seeing the computer tell me I have spelt things incorrectly when I use an s.

So I wondered, why is laser universally spelt with an s. Why don't americans spell it lazer? Dont you guys feel strange putting an S there as I feel strange if I use a Z where an S is common for us?

Jason just to let you know I spell it with a "Z" for our models they are LazerModels the reason is someone felt lasermodels for the domain name was worth 3500.00 and I got Lazermodels.com for 9.95 but then bought lasermodels.net also for 9.95 and many other combinations :D

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 9:21 PM
Perhaps, just dont go in all James bond and say 'my name is Cox, Steve Cox and I 'd like a router!'

There's some things in life you just can't change (well not cheaply anyway) but at least its not spelt the other way and does it have a different meaning.

Also whilst we're on spelling check spelt in the Oxford English Dictionary, yes its a type of wheat but also can be used instead of spelled.

Rodne Gold
04-05-2012, 1:43 AM
Yeh , is spelt spelt spelt or is spelled spelled spelled?
It's a boring day before the long easter weekend....

Hilton Lister
04-05-2012, 3:32 AM
Kiwis say sex for six? I thought that was how you Aussies pronounced it. To our ears, you say "Fesh & Cheps" as well. When travelling, I have been mistaken for a Pom, but I doubt if an Aussie would be. However, a great number of our citizens reside in Australia including my own son, so I guess the differences are fading. I enjoy visiting the "lucky country", but I'm far to old to emigrate.

jason harris
04-05-2012, 4:18 AM
Kiwis say sex for six? I thought that was how you Aussies pronounced it.

I must admit, althoug I went with the flow it always sounds like the aussies say it that way. Of course, its proven by the internet

http://www.facebook.com/pages/when-australians-say-six-it-sounds-like-sex/228435957175

Mark Ross
04-05-2012, 3:34 PM
Laser is the machine. Lazer is the guy sitting at the computer staring into the machine watching it run...

Neil Pabia
04-05-2012, 3:34 PM
So it has come to this? I have sat here and read this thread feeling stupider for doing so. I think it is time for me to shut the lights, lock the door, and take the Harley for a ride. That can always improve a rough day.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-05-2012, 5:14 PM
So it has come to this? I have sat here and read this thread feeling stupider for doing so. I think it is time for me to shut the lights, lock the door, and take the Harley for a ride. That can always improve a rough day.

Ahh, that's sweet Neil. It's always nice to see you Harley guys take your bikes out for a ride ... in the back of a truck. :D Seriously, getting out on any bike is a nice way to improve the day. Getting out with your Sweetheart and riding two-up is an even nicer way to improve the day.

Kevin Groenke
04-07-2012, 7:49 PM
Since seriousness has been thrown out the window on this one, perhaps this is an acceptable place to toss in lmgtfy.com?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+is+laser+spelled+with+an+s%3F

kg

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2012, 7:57 PM

I have been asking that for decades and nobody pays me any attention.....

James A. Wolfe
04-08-2012, 12:45 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?u=5980&dateline=1330708981 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?5980-James-A-Wolfe) James A. Wolfe (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?5980-James-A-Wolfe)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/statusicon/user-online.png Contributor

Join DateNov 2005
LocationKY but subject to change.Posts199

Not sure about Aussies or Kiwis but here in the U.S., we know that it is absolutely accurate to say "Blackberries are red when they're green..." Just sayin...

Jim

Craig Matheny
04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Not sure about Aussies or Kiwis but here in the U.S., we know that it is absolutely accurate to say "Blackberries are red when they're green..." Just sayin...

Jim
James I thought Blackberries where known as crack berries and you made phone calls on them.

Neil Pabia
04-09-2012, 1:18 PM
Ahh, that's sweet Neil. It's always nice to see you Harley guys take your bikes out for a ride ... in the back of a truck. :D Seriously, getting out on any bike is a nice way to improve the day. Getting out with your Sweetheart and riding two-up is an even nicer way to improve the day.

I love getting out and riding with my sweetheart but my wife keeps getting mad for leaving her home.;)