PDA

View Full Version : A few hammer handles I made

george wilson
04-04-2012, 4:35 PM
This is mostly for Klaus to see. Just small ball pein type handles. The trouble is,you just can't buy a decent handle this small. Too much trouble to make,really,but it's the only way to get them.

The 3rd handle down shows the close grain. In the picture they are still round,and laid on the end of my 8" jointer to shoot. This ash has really tight grain!

This type handle is what I used on the "graceful" hammer heads. I must find a suitable name!

I got some very close grained ash,and oriented the growth rings so that you can see the rings on the sides of the handles. Exactly the wrong way to orient the grain on a hammer handle,of course. But on these small hammers it really doesn't matter. They are not the kind or size hammers that will ever be used for hard striking.

I just turned them out freehand on the lathe without any templates. No measuring either. They all came out the same. They will be cut to length later. That's my old Oliver wood lathe which I used. The vise is my original German "universal" vise,which was really a gun stocker's vise (wonder why they with held that info?). The Asians copied them later. This one is from the 60's. It cost $40.00 in about 1967. Then,they got up to about $200.00 pretty soon,and I guess priced themselves out of the market by the late 70's or early 80's. That was money then. The Asian copies can be spotty on quality control,but if you get a well fitted one,they seem just fine. I have about 3 of them also. We had a German vise of this style in the toolmaker's shop whose vise nut stripped out. I was going to make a new nut,when we found that the nut from an old,broken Asian machinist's vise fit perfectly,with just a little milling. The threads were exactly right!:)

In the pictures,I am planing the handle oval with a violin plane. Any small plane would do,but I could get into the slightly concave areas nearer the head with the violin plane. It has a flat bottom,but by tilting it at a 45º angle,it would plane in the slightly hollow places.

Klaus Kretschmar
04-04-2012, 4:47 PM
Looks great so far, George! I'm really exited seeing what beautiful tools that will be regarding the pic with the finished little hammers.

Klaus

george wilson
04-04-2012, 4:52 PM
Which style hammer do you like the best,Klaus?

P.S.-I'm afraid my large hands will ruin the proportions of your saw handles. I get on with regular handles. But,I'll check with you about that. No hurry.

Tony Zaffuto
04-04-2012, 5:20 PM
George,

From your vast knowledge, has a "ball end" handle ever been used on a "cross pein" style hammer? If not, why not?

Klaus Kretschmar
04-04-2012, 5:40 PM
That's hard to judge, George. All of these hammers do have their very own charm. Regarding the hammer heads I think that the 2 at the top of the pic are very suitable on working with fine metals. Just my guess. My favourite hammer head would be the one in the middle of the pic. It looks perfectly balanced and it is probably less specialized than the other ones. And the handles? Man, each one is so beautiful so I'm completely undecided... Judging by the visual balance, I think my favourite would be another time the one in the middle. Considering the stability, I'd think that the both at the top and the bottom one would be the choice... hard decision for sure.

Klaus

Jim Ritter
04-04-2012, 7:32 PM
I inherited these hammers from my Grandfather. He was a hand engraver mostly gold and silver. I believstudy are Cale chasing hammers. As far as I know he made the handles. I'm very happy to have them.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/1ef1646d.jpg

george wilson
04-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Those are nice hammers,Jim. It is impossible to find decent chasing hammers,OR ESPECIALLY decent handles. The ones available are just horrid,and it's too bad. It takes no more effort to make a well designed handle than it does to make a piece of junk. The problem is the lack of talent in the decision makers who could effect these products.

That first handle is the thinnest one I've seen! He must have had a special purpose in very light chasing for it.

Those pistol grip handles are the most trouble to make.

Ryan Baker
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Nice hammers George. How do you do the blackened finish on the heads? Is that some sort of chemical finish? It looks better than just oxidation from heat treating. I like it.

george wilson
04-04-2012, 10:31 PM
The chasing hammers are case hardened. The "graceful" hammers are 01 drill rod,hardened,and drawn to a fire blue finish. They would be about 52 Rockwell C. hardness.

Sorry about the bad picture. Here are some better ones.

george wilson
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I will make some bulbed handles and take pictures as I make them. I have other projects to work on right now though. I am varnishing something and can't make dust for the time being.