PDA

View Full Version : What I did last weekend...Can you say Walnut?

Pat Scott
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
A Walnut tree was being cut down last week, so of course I was there to get what I could. There were about 5 other guys with the same idea as well, but they just wanted firewood. They let me have some of the bigger pieces and all the crotch pieces I wanted. Crotch pieces are tough to split for firewood so I was happy to oblige.

It wasn't the biggest load I've ever got, but it was still enough to keep me busy for a few days. My primary focus for this load was dinner plates, canister blanks, and maybe the crotch pieces will have some nice figure for pepper mills. And of course I can't pass up the opportunity to make some bowls!

I chainsawed a few pieces and then spent a few hours rough turning. The results for day 1 were:
4 dinner plates (12" diameter rough, 11" when finished)
4 pepper mill blanks (12" long)
2 pepper mill blanks (8" long)
1 canister blank (8" x 8" x 8")
5 bowls (the top two are 11-3/4" diameter, the bottom 3 are a nested set from 8-1/4" up to 11-3/4")
and a couple of 1" thick scrap pieces for whatever.

Day 2 results:
4 more dinner plates. In case you're counting I now have a set of 8 Walnut dinner plates.
1 canister blank 6" x 6"
1 canister blank 5" x 5"
2 pepper mill blanks (12")
1 pepper mill blank (9")
6 bowls (the 3 along the top are another nested set from 6-1/2" up to 12").
(the two on the right below that are a nested set from 8" to 11-1/2")
(and the one in the lower left is a single bowl 11-1/2" diameter)
2 more scrap pieces for whatever.

Day 3 results:
1 small dinner plate (10")
4 platters (13-1/2" to 16")
3 bowls (another nice nested set from 6-1/4" to 13-1/4")
and another chunk for whatever

I'm still not done, I have a couple chunks left to process (in front). The pieces stacked up in back are from day 1, I was just getting them out of the way until I take them downstairs to dry. I'm taking Glenn Lucas's Signature class at Craft Supplies in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping to pick up some tricks and tips or new techniques that will help me speed up.

Pat Scott
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
And I thought I'd throw in a little gloat while I'm at it. I got a new Agazzani B/20-20 bandsaw the end of January. Let me just say that this measly piece of 5" thick Walnut doesn't stand a chance! This blank will give me four more 5"x5" canister blanks.

My bandsaw is a beast. It doesn't even know when it's cutting wood. It doesn't vibrate and it doesn't complain. It's so solid and heavy duty, it really is a pleasure to use compared to my old saw. I catch myself once in a while as I'm in the middle of a cut thinking if I was doing this on my old saw the motor would be bogging down, the saw would vibrate or start moving across the floor, or I would be forced to slow down and cut a lot slower. It's worth every penny.

I'm not much for cutting my own veneer, or seeing how thin of piece I can cut. But what the heck, I put on a Lenox 1" carbide tipped blade, set the fence by eye for a fairly thin cut, then proceeded to cut a 1/32" thick piece! That Lenox blade is amazing, the cut is so smooth, you have to look pretty close to see any blade marks. I'm impressed.

Richard Galloway
04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Wow, impressive load of wood and an equally impressive saw. Be sure to post photos of the Finished products!

Roger Chandler
04-04-2012, 11:09 AM
You have been a busy beaver! Nice roughouts and a serious piece of woodworking equipment................that one is a fine saw!

charlie knighton
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM
very nice, envy here, enjoy