PDA

View Full Version : WIP another crotch pentagon propeller bowl

Kathy Marshall
04-04-2012, 3:16 AM
And all my fingers are still intact :D
This is from a crotch piece of what I'm calling acacia but could be something else. It's got some feather to it, but nothing spectacular. It's almost 12" diameter (the corners just clear the ways and I made the bowl small to preserve the feather in the rim.
I still need to turn off the tenon and finish the bottom, then alot of hand sanding, but I'm wondering if I should do something with the edges. Since the figure goes down into the bowl, I'm not going to apply any of the gold rub-n-buff, but what about using it on the edges? or how about some pyro or texturing? or should I just leave the whole thing natural? Whatever I decide to do, I'll finish it off with some oil, either BLO or DO and then maybe some WTF.
What do you think?
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
04-04-2012, 6:02 AM
Kathy, that is going to be another nice one!! What about doing a small cove/bead/combo type edge around the very rim of the bowl and highlight just that part - perhaps just 1/2 - 3/4" and about 45* to the flat rim?

Roger Chandler
04-04-2012, 7:57 AM
Pretty grain in that one K!

Dale Miner
04-04-2012, 8:00 AM
Kathy,

I think any gold applied to the piece will compete with the figure in the wood. I do like John's suggestion of a small detail at the juncture of the rim and bowl.

Fred Belknap
04-04-2012, 8:46 AM
That is good, nice contrast in the wood. One learns real quick to keep fingers behind the toolrest when doing propeller bowls.

Bernie Weishapl
04-04-2012, 10:17 AM
That is going to be a beauty Kathy. Really nice looking wood.

charlie knighton
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
good so far, looking forward to seeing what you come up with Kathy

Jamie Donaldson
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Looks like walnut from here Kathy, but don't cover up that grain with any extra coloring! I would round over or at least smooth the saw marks on the flat edges.

Greg Bolton22
04-04-2012, 2:11 PM
Looks great Kathy! What about pyro-ing the cut edges but leaving the natural edges (just thinking out loud). It will be gorgeous no matter what you do because all of your pieces are!

Greg

Brian Kent
04-04-2012, 2:37 PM
Scary. Pretty.

Doug W Swanson
04-04-2012, 2:49 PM
Looks nice. I'd leave it as is....

Thomas Canfield
04-04-2012, 8:33 PM
Kathy,

I use a souped up danish oil finish (4 parts DO to 1 part polyurethane varnish) and a lot of buffing with tripoli before applying and after each of about 4 or 5 liberal coats that are wiped off after about 10 minutes. That works well for the natural edge also, but will tend to darken the light wood. It really makes the darker wood grain pop and produces a good feeling finish with a final application of Renaisance wax. The enhancement around the bowl would also be my choice over trying something on the edges.