PDA

View Full Version : trouble shooting x/y disable problem on my Epilog Helix 30 watt

Bryce Mccloud
04-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Hello all

I searches around for awhile but didn't find any answers here or on the Epilog site.

today my machine has been acting up - after many hours of trouble free service (well since I replaced the seemingly faulty from the start motherboard.

Problem

I have been running a job for a few hours today at 100% speed and several times towards the end of the run I have had the machine stop mid cycle and read a code x/y disabled - when this happens the controls lock up and I have to restart the machine to get it to work.

Thinking something might be in the rails or causing some binding I cleaned the rails and added a bit of epilog grease. The laser head will slide freely from side to side x axis and also on the Y axis. Well the X axis does not bind but it does have a little of grabbiness which I attribute to belts/teeth and motor resistance as I run it across the x-rail. Nothing excessive but it isn't sliding like butter. It seems like this is about how it was new (4-5 months old).

Anyhow when I tested the machine after cleaning the head is running a bit jerkily across the x-axis as it returns to home

I turned the speed way down and the machine is really seeming to not have enough umph to move the head across the rail- it jerks along badly and strains to move at really low speeds - going faster seems to mask the issue as the machine has some momentum to carry it forward.

I took off covers and eyeballed everything - I cant see or hear or feel a bind or rub. Belt seems tight and intact

I cleaned the encoder not 15 hours of cutting ago

everything appears clean and tight that I can see

I noticed the x-motor was quite hot when I touched it

I've got a call into Epilog but of course I need to run a job tonight if at all possible
anyone have an idea what might be going on? I am loathe to cut anymore tonight until I have some guidance from the command center lest I really screw something up

thanks for your help

Bryce
Nashville

an