PDA

View Full Version : The fix is done.........tell me what you think!

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 9:41 PM
Okay, the box that I broke the bottom out of is now fixed........special thanks to those who suggested I fix it with a new bottom..........a first for me. Anyway, because this lady wanted the historic wood, I thought I had better stick with the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree white oak wood.

This still has some finishing to be done and I just came in to share the fix, so this is not as good as it gets as of yet.............I still have to finish the inside and the lip on the opening to the box...............so this is just preliminary to show how I dealt with the broken bottom.

charlie knighton
04-03-2012, 10:20 PM
very nice, good save Roger

Rick Markham
04-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Ha! Look at that, perfectly disguised! Can't tell it was a fix, you do good work my friend. I'm convinced that the most important part of what we do is not doing "perfect" work, but learning how to fix or design around our mistakes.

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Ha! Look at that, perfectly disguised! Can't tell it was a fix, you do good work my friend. I'm convinced that the most important part of what we do is not doing "perfect" work, but learning how to fix or design around our mistakes.

Rick, I really appreciate the suggestion you made about a false bottom...........that got me thinking on how to do it, and well the rest is history like they say...........good that I could save the thing because of the fact of the historic wood. So many of the pieces of this wood I have are cracked and I will be hard pressed to make anything of much size now........same with all our guys and this wood............

Looks like a lot of pens, goblets, small boxes and bowls will be the order of the day with most of the wood now.

Doug W Swanson
04-03-2012, 10:53 PM
What a great save! I love it when things work out like that!

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Great save Roger. Beautiful job. Don't forget to post it when finished.

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
What a great save! I love it when things work out like that!

Thanks for the encouragement Doug...........much appreciated!

John Keeton
04-04-2012, 6:07 AM
Roger, someone will have to look long and hard to see that fix!! Nice work, and a nice box, too. Shame about the rest of the wood.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2012, 8:04 AM
Roger, someone will have to look long and hard to see that fix!! Nice work, and a nice box, too. Shame about the rest of the wood.

Thanks John..........there is some of the big trunk section intact and stored on a farm about 30 miles from me........I and others can make arrangements to go over and get some large pieces, but the gentleman who is storing it for us will need to contacted and use his loader to help get it cut up.

I have the first load that came off the tree when it went down........a large limb which had a diameter of about 20 inches + and even though I cut it in blanks, removed all the pith I could, and anchorsealed it, stored it underneath my deck under a tarp to keep it dry, it still has checks all through it.

Now I have to reprocess most of the blanks and cut them down smaller in order to avoid the cracks............I am thinking about getting some Marine epoxy and resin from West Marine and fill some of the nicer pieces............pretty pricey however at over $100 per gallon from what I have heard.

Steve Schlumpf
04-04-2012, 8:08 AM
Nice work on the repair Roger! Hard/impossible to see even with when looking for it!

Roger Chandler
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
As per Bernie's request here are a couple of pics of the finished box...........

228631 228632

Trevor Howard
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Hey Roger, I guess I missed the 'broken' pictures. Do you have a link or could you post a before and after? I am guessing the bottom piece was added and the burn helped hide the seam.
Great save and a great looking box for a good cause. Well done.

Never mind Roger just saw your other post.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184541-OOOPS!!!-I-hate-when-this-happens!!! (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184541-OOOPS%21%21%21-I-hate-when-this-happens%21%21%21)

Jim Underwood
04-04-2012, 2:02 PM
Good save Roger! Well done lining up the ray cells and end grain...

Rich Aldrich
04-04-2012, 8:07 PM
Um... nice bottom?:rolleyes: I didnt see it broke and you cant tell it was fixed. Great work!