PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving JDS Leather Flask

mike klein
04-03-2012, 9:08 PM
Just curious if anyone has used the JDS (or other brands) of leather flask. I see a few vendors advertising these with nice dark engraving. Ordered a couple to try out but color filling is the only way I see to darken the engraving.

Mike

Kasey Maxwell
04-03-2012, 9:25 PM
I wish JDS had better prices on those leather flasks, $4.29 is kinda steep unless you buy over 10 cases but even then at $3.39 is not good either.........

mike klein
04-03-2012, 9:33 PM
I know what you mean Kasey, but you just have to charge accordingly. I been selling quite a few of the ss colored ones which engrave nice and quick, no cermark.

Mike

Steve Clarkson
04-03-2012, 9:45 PM
Mike......what settings are you using for the leather flasks? And it would help if you put your laser info in your signature line so we don't have to ask.

mike klein
04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Steve,

I've tried various settings of speed/power/focusing and can't get a nice dark finish. The best I had was the 4th engraving from the bottom in the attached image, which as 80sp, 45pwr, 400dpi. The one at the to (Best Man) was lasered then sprayed with Laser Dark. Best Man & Alan Mahoney were engraved at 80sp, 45pwr, 400dpi and then colored filled with black acrylic paint.

Mike228580

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 2:43 AM
I've tried various settings of speed/power/focusing and can't get a nice dark finish.

Mike, are you sure it's real leather? I got some cheap leather covered flasks some time ago and they didn't engrave very well, similar issues that you are having. On closer examination they turned out to be PU Leather which is synthetic. Whereas the Real Leather ones engraved nicely.

Frank Corker
04-04-2012, 6:07 AM
It looks like real leather to me. The difference in colour is sometimes an issue with leather, it's not fault with the laser, some parts are harder than others. Synthetic leathers which are engraveable have a uniform colour throughout.

mike klein
04-04-2012, 7:38 AM
Mike, are you sure it's real leather? I got some cheap leather covered flasks some time ago and they didn't engrave very well, similar issues that you are having. On closer examination they turned out to be PU Leather which is synthetic. Whereas the Real Leather ones engraved nicely.

I don't think it is real leather Steve. I purchased a so-called leather belt from walmart sometime ago and tried to engrave it and it did the same thing to. Went to my local farm fleet store and bought a real leather belt and had no problem. I've engraved a lot of leather and didn't have the issues I'm having with this stuff.

Mike

Dee Gallo
04-04-2012, 8:56 AM
Since it has been recommended to lower ppi to lessen char on other things, why not try increasing it here to see if you can darken the mark? Just a thought, I don't really know if that would work.

Also, if they are selling it as leather, it must be... JDS normally tells you exactly what you are buying, right? Why don't you email or call to confirm? They might even be able to give you settings to try. I did that with mugs and they were right on.

cheers, dee

BTW - according to my manual, a power of 55 is standard at 400 dpi if you have a 35 w.

Martin Boekers
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Chances are it's bonded leather see here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

Actually I don't think the price is too bad on these.
I have had client's go to Things Remembered in the malls and
get a flask then bring it to me to get engraved. I'm selling these
in the price range of $15 - $20 I have had to add a few lower
priced items because of the economy and I think these are a nice fit,
esp for groomsmen gifts.

We all wish all prices could be cheaper :)

I just got an email from PDU saying they are cutting prices dramatically
so when I get a chance I'll have to check the web pricing. JDS is typically
a great supplier and costs are reasonable, esp if you are in their AP program.
That discount covers all products. Most vendors that have a similar program don't
cover all products. JDS also introduced a program where you get "Bonus Bucks"
to be used for samples. I believe it's about 1% so if you spend $20,000 you get $200.
They have a program for Dye- Sub inks now but I haven't had a chance to explore it.
Add all these incentives and free shipping for $1000 purchases combine for the most
discounts in the industry.

Waiting on the new catalogs to see how other distributors are reacting to pricing
and products.

Chester Lindgren
04-04-2012, 8:00 PM
Here are the settings JDS gave me for the flasks:
Theses are settings from their 60W machine.
Leather Flasks - 400 DPI 100-Speed 60-Power
Coated Metal Flasks- 400 DPI 100-Speed 40-Power

I had similar problems with the leather flasks. I only did a few but the best result came from back filling them with paint.
The matte black flasks engrave great!

I wish JDS had better prices on those leather flasks, $4.29 is kinda steep unless you buy over 10 cases but even then at $3.39 is not good either.........

Care to share where you're buying cheaper flasks? I'm about to do a large run of the black flasks for a customer and it'd be great to get them cheaper...

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 8:15 PM
I'm selling these
in the price range of $15 - $20 I have had to add a few lower
priced items because of the economy and I think these are a nice fit,
esp for groomsmen gifts.

Competition must be fierce in your neck of the woods, price range here is $25 to $40 depending on size. Sourcing though is a bit of a problem here, thankfully though I can buy most through Ebay but most of these (not all) are manufactured in China where they use the cheapest materials available.

Kasey Maxwell
04-05-2012, 1:43 AM
I have never bought them, I got the JDS catalog, I'd like to find a cheaper place to get them or even mini flasks, like 1/2 the size :)

Martin Boekers
04-05-2012, 9:48 AM
Competition must be fierce in your neck of the woods, price range here is $25 to $40 depending on size. Sourcing though is a bit of a problem here, thankfully though I can buy most through Ebay but most of these (not all) are manufactured in China where they use the cheapest materials available.

I have a limited market to sell to. I have to cover many price ranges. I need to have a decent variety of product
under $25 which ain't easy! :) This is one of those products. I take advantage of the JDS AP pricing so my cost is
under $4ea I make at least $10 per piece which takes about 5 minutes to layout and burn, so that brings it to about
$120 an hour not too bad. Plus happy customers! I don't think the quality of the flasks are in the area to justify $40.
They're not bad, but not premium. I sell the water bottles JDS has also for about the same price. Locally they sell
for $15. The flasks are new so I haven't seen competitors pricing yet. Our shop stays very busy, we have two lasers
running and on the verge of adding a third.

These type of products and pricing, at least for me bring in customers that become longtime clients. If I had to rely
on single jobs with one up, one at a time purchases my model for pricing probably wouldn't hold up. A $50 flask order
usually can bring in a hundred or more dollar order with it. Think Weddings or events, I sell the flasks, Sublimated napkins,
engraved wine bottle, custom poker chips for handouts, maybe a candle or two. So it works on it's own level.

Pricing is always a challenge as you want to make sure of a decent profit while making sure you keep you equipment
running as much as possible. Different areas have different structures guiding these choices.

Braden Todd
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Now I want to order these too! For the paint fill are you using a laser mask and then just spraying in the paint?

Thanks!