PDA

View Full Version : My New Love

Dahl Troy Perry
04-03-2012, 8:15 PM
All I can say is wow I turned some of the pecon that Bill gave when I was in Ga. And I'm in love that is the easyest wood I have ever turned it cut like butter. And this is the first I've turned on my new grizzly 733 lathe other than a pen and round wooden ball All I can say I'm not disapointed with the lathe. Here are the bowls that I roughed out and now soaking in in dna. And Wed I'll rough out more . Here are the pic to prove.

Bernie Weishapl
04-03-2012, 8:45 PM
That is a nice looking lathe and looks like you gave it a great workout. Those will be some nice bowls when done.

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Okay Dahl.............now you're gettin' ready for the big leagues! :D That G0733 is a hunk of lathe for the money, and my G0698 has been superb for over two years..........not one issue with mine......my understanding is that the 0733 has an upgraded inverter, and motor.........you should be right happy!

Nice work on the bowls..........I have yet to have the privilege of turning pecan, but I have a BIL who lives in Georgia, and I will have to tell him to bring me a few pieces next time he heads north to visit!

Thomas Canfield
04-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Pecon? Did you mean Pecan? In any case, you have some nice looking turnings to work in the future. A local tree trimmer here has dropped several sections (8 to 10"D x 16 to 24" L) by for me and the fresh cut wet pecan does turn very easy. I have some that I want to do some end-grain hollow forms out of a couple in addition to bowls from the others. The bark is very rough, but I have roughed out a few natural edge half section bowls that are almost twice as long as wide and then have tenon bottom in pith cut line. I don't expect to keep the bark but will keep part of the bark layer in the finish product. Something to consider if you have any more wood to play with. A word of caution - when dry, the pecan does get pretty hard, but finishes well with oil finish.

Bill Bulloch
04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Now that's a nice looking machine and some nice roughouts. I can't wait to hear how the Grizzly handles that large piece of Ambrosia Maple you got -- I'm thinking that that was close to 18 inches wide; that should prove a challenge.

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
For big heavy blanks.........Dahl you should have some weight underneath by putting a shelf on those leg brackets.........if you make the boards nice and tight fitting it will stiffen the whole unit end to end...[ I used a 2x12 and a 2x8 for mine].....that lathe will handle big stuff, but like most lathes does need some ballast for heavy, out of balance blanks to dampen vibrations. I have turned blanks almost 90 lbs. on mine a time or two. You have the machine, just needs some ballast now.

Bill Wyko
04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Very nice indeed. One thing though, don't leave wet blanks on your raw metal surfaces. I just made the mistake of leaving a piece I trimmed off of a bowl blank on my bandsaw table. Now I have a big rust spot. It only took a couple hours to do the damage. Made me sick.

Scott Conners
04-04-2012, 9:22 PM
Oh you like it fine now, when it's wet and soft...but they don't call it pecancrete for nothing! :D I like pecan too, a bunch of my tool handles are made from it. When dry it's hard, but still turns smooth and cuts well. It just takes sharp tools and a little work.