PDA

View Full Version : Ironwood - Hornbeam

John Bailey
03-26-2005, 11:37 PM
I just found out that all the ironwood I've been cutting down for Springtime firewood is actually hornbeam. I know hornbeam is a good wood for things like chisel handles, but what are the other characteristics of the wood, and what have you all used it for? I have an unlimited supply of it around the homestead and I'd like to save the best for some projects. I'm sure it's going to come in handy for some of my boat projects, but I'd like to hear what others have done with it.

John

Jim Becker
03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
"Ironwood" is a name that is generally given to many, many woods, usually by someone local to where it's indiginous and the "hardest" wood available. Hornbeam is a good example of something that would qualify!! (It's used in some tool handles for that reason) I've also seen some nice turned pieces from it, although I hope they were done "green" for the same reason that other very hard woods are turned, at least rough, in that condition.

John Bailey
03-28-2005, 1:58 AM
"Ironwood" is a name that is generally given to many, many woods, usually by someone local to where it's indiginous and the "hardest" wood available. Hornbeam is a good example of something that would qualify!! (It's used in some tool handles for that reason) I've also seen some nice turned pieces from it, although I hope they were done "green" for the same reason that other very hard woods are turned, at least rough, in that condition.

Jim,

Sounds like I need to do some more research to make sure what I have is really Hornbeam. The book the wife and I look in had the listing as "Ironwood/Hornbeam," so I assumed they were one and the same.

Bruce Huggins
03-28-2005, 8:56 AM
Around here hop hornbeam and blue beach are called ironwood and aspen is called poplar.

On good authority I am told that hop hornmeam was favored for whiffle trees, but this usage predates me by many years.

I have used hop hornbean as firewood, (only if sawn green); fence posts (they decay readily and you can't drive a staple into them): gate poles, (they usually grow in the understory as long straight saplings); and as mallet heads, (a couple of rounds go a long way).

Most favored use --- firewood.

Mike Keating
03-28-2005, 9:05 AM
Hello,

I was under the impression that ironwood did not grow in the US. It is the common name of Ipe. They use to make the early icebreakers from it.

Mike

John Bailey
03-28-2005, 9:15 AM
Bruce,

The Hop Hornbeam you describe sounds like what I've got. It does grow straight in the undercover and it makes great firewood. In fact, I've already chopped up my chopping block for fire wood because we've had a long winter, and now I'm cutting down Ironwood because it burns so well with no seasoning. By the way, what is a Whiffle Tree?

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find out more of Ipe. As far as it growing in US, I've got, what we call, Ironwood all over my land. It's on the hillside going down to a Cedar swamp. It would be cool if I could make a boat out of Cedar over Ironwood frames from my land. We have plenty of ice to break through right now too.

Jim Becker
03-28-2005, 9:19 AM
I'll have to find out more of Ipe. As far as it growing in US, I've got, what we call, Ironwood all over my land. It's on the hillside going down to a Cedar swamp. It would be cool if I could make a boat out of Cedar over Ironwood frames from my land. We have plenty of ice to break through right now too.

Ipe is a wonderful tropical hardwood often seen used as deck surfaces. It's naturally weather/rot/insect resistant--and very beautiful. There are some folks who use it for indoor furniture, too, even though it's tough on the cutters to work. But it's still only one of likely hundreds of species that get locally referred to as "ironwood". You need to learn about the specific properties of your local choices if you plan on using them in extreme conditions. You've already indicated that the hornbeam doesn't last when used as posts...

John Bailey
03-28-2005, 9:34 AM
Jim,

You're right about using it extreme conditions. I'd hate to be half way across the Atlantic and find out my variety of "Ironwood" doesn't like saltwater. I've been harvesting cedar for kayaks and boats in the future. I don't have any oak to speak of, so I was hoping to find something that grows on my land to use for frames. This is definitely not a Tropical climate up here, so it doesn't sound like this is Ipe.

John

Jim Becker
03-28-2005, 9:38 AM
This is definitely not a Tropical climate up here, so it doesn't sound like this is Ipe.

I'm 100% sure of that!! Unless you live on another continent than I do.

James Carmichael
03-28-2005, 9:40 AM
Ironwood is one of the names for Hornbeam, but there's several species.

Staves split from Hop Hornbeam are good for making primitive bows due to the wood's strength and resistance to shock, which is also why it makes good tool handles.

Here's a good link for information/species identification. The bark and leaves are fairly distinct.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/carpinuscaroliniana.htm

John Bailey
03-28-2005, 9:47 AM
Jim,

My little rural community would like to think it's another continent, but, I think Northern Michigan is still in North America and I'll have to travel a bit to find Ipe. But, as usual, I'm finding a wealth of info on this site.

John

Dennis McDonaugh
03-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Hello,

I was under the impression that ironwood did not grow in the US. It is the common name of Ipe. They use to make the early icebreakers from it.

Mike

Different woods. Ipe is tropical (South and Central America), Hornbeam is native to North America. Both have been known as Ironwood, matter of fact I have discovered that there are lots of trees that go by Ironwood.

Greg Mann
03-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Bruce,

snipped

By the way, what is a Whiffle Tree?

snipped

John, A whiffle tree is that crosspiece on the tongue of a horse drawn wagon to which the harness is attached. When the team is in harmony, it is at right angles to the tongue.
Of course, as a young man who had just gotten a job driving hay wagons, when I asked this question the answer was, "Every horse's A__ knows what a whiffle tree is." :D

Greg