PDA

View Full Version : OOOPS!!! I hate when this happens!!!

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 2:03 PM
My turning time is sporadic and hard to come by.....and when I get time to turn, I hate when things go a-foul!

I had gotten a commission from a lady who saw this vase 228548 from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree, and wanted something made from this wood.

I have been asked to do a demo in July on turning lidded boxes, so I thought I would combine the task of making something with this historic wood and practice up for the demo as well...........

I had just got through making the box, and was just beginning the lid where the lid would overlap the box opening, and was fitting the box to the lid and the thing twisted out the bottom of the box...:eek::mad::mad::(.......tried to glue it back to no avail!

I guess it is back to the drawing board! :o:o:o I don't know if I have a suitable piece left from this wood for another box...............she might have to settle for a bowl instead! This is 350 +/- year old wood and is brittle in places, so I don't think this would have happened with a piece of maple!!!

I post this so the newbies that are just getting started can see the even seasoned turners have things go wrong at times...........gotta get back in the saddle when you fall off the horse!

Doug W Swanson
04-03-2012, 2:16 PM
Ouch! I hate when that happens!

steven carter
04-03-2012, 2:27 PM
Maybe you could make a round knob with a tenon and glue it in the hole. Looks too good not to try IMO.

Rick Markham
04-03-2012, 2:37 PM
Roger, I hate the dreaded hole in the bottom vessel, I made one recently, went to carve off the nub on the bottom, and the carving gouge just slid right through. I've had some similar breaks occur with a form durning hollowing. Since that has happened, I've changed my methodology, and leave as much meat around the tenon area. The time I had a break like yours was with a piece of Jarrah burl, and I was a little on the not happy side. I keep it around so it can remind me to try and avoid doing it again.

I'm with Steven on trying to save it. Maybe a false bottom.

Sid Matheny
04-03-2012, 3:40 PM
I hate to see that happen but better at home than at a demo.:o

Sid

Brian Kent
04-03-2012, 4:03 PM
Another M&M dispenser. And as a total beginner, it is very helpful to see an old pro do that!

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 4:21 PM
I'm with Steven on trying to save it. Maybe a false bottom.

Thanks for the idea, Rick..........I took a look at the bottom and I think putting a false bottom on it is a do-able thing.....the repair will barely show from the bottom, if I do it right, and perhaps not at all if I can make some kind of decorative ring where the seam will be...:cool:..........wish me luck! ;)

David DeCristoforo
04-03-2012, 5:03 PM
Ahh, yes. The old bottomless box trick. A nice walnut base might look really great on this...

Jim Underwood
04-03-2012, 5:22 PM
I'd put contrasting base on it also. Then match it with an inlaid ring on the side and/or insert in the top to tie it all together and make it look like you did it on purpose...

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 5:56 PM
Well........the point of this lady was she wants something made from the historic wood as a keepsake for her family to pass down through generations.............I am not quite sure how she would react to a walnut bottom on this, although with that centuries old white oak it would make for a nice contrast as you both say.....................hummmm..........I'm a -thinkin'........:)

Doug Herzberg
04-03-2012, 6:18 PM
With a screen across the bottom, you could have a pretty cool flour sifter, Roger. Maybe the kind with a crank on the side, if you want to get fancy. A collar around the top instead of the lid?

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 6:25 PM
With a screen across the bottom, you could have a pretty cool flour sifter, Roger. Maybe the kind with a crank on the side, if you want to get fancy. A collar around the top instead of the lid?

One of the things I like about this community of turners..........they get you thinking "outside the box" :D [pun intended]

Thanks Doug! BTW, that OO you sent me a while back........one piece looked suitable for a handle.......I have one tool I need to make a handle for with a wooden collet..........so I can remove the tool and use it with my Monster rig.........sometimes I use it by hand as well. I think that piece of OO will make a fine and durable handle, and for the collet where the shank goes in, I think I will use an automotive band clamp to secure it when using the handle with it.

Thanks for the tip and the Osage Orange!

Doug Herzberg
04-03-2012, 6:31 PM
One of the things I like about this community of turners..........they get you thinking "outside the box" :D [pun intended]

Thanks Doug! BTW, that OO you sent me a while back........one piece looked suitable for a handle.......I have one tool I need to make a handle for with a wooden collet..........so I can remove the tool and use it with my Monster rig.........sometimes I use it by hand as well. I think that piece of OO will make a fine and durable handle, and for the collet where the shank goes in, I think I will use an automotive band clamp to secure it when using the handle with it.

Thanks for the tip and the Osage Orange!

When life gives you lemons. . . .

That OO is generally pretty strong stuff. I think it could take the small amount of flex required for a collet.

David DeCristoforo
04-03-2012, 7:57 PM
"...she wants something made from the historic wood ..."

So... maybe we're looking at a decorative base made from "the historic wood"...

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 9:36 PM
The fix is done......will post on a new thread shortly with pics...........thanks everyone!

Rick Markham
04-03-2012, 10:22 PM
:) Cool! It's always good to be able to save something, especially since that piece has history attached to it. I'm glad you got it to work, I look forward to seeing your handy work.

Dave Holmes
04-04-2012, 9:40 AM
I'm jsut getting started in turning and thought I was the only guy out here that made funnels instead of bowls. Thanks for the candor and willingness to share. I think God gave us wood turning and golf just to keep Him amused.