PDA

View Full Version : When Facebook meets reality

Phil Thien
04-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Walking the dog to work this morning, thinking to myself how nice it is. Sun is out. Getting a bit warmer. Lots of neighbors/friends outside working on their lawns and gardens, walking, jogging, etc.

I get to the corner of my block, ready to cross the street, when the lady on the other side of the street shouts "SO HOW IS THE DIARRHEA GOING?"

Now everyone is looking, and my corner neighbor is pretty much laughing his you know what off.

The dog wasn't feeling well yesterday and apparently my wife mentioned it on "the Facebook."

I didn't even know the shouting woman, BTW. I'm sure my wife does.

I just thought it was a pretty funny thing to shout across the street.

I felt like shouting back "I'M FINE, HOW ARE THOSE DEPENDS WORKING FOR YOU?" But that would be mean. And she wasn't trying to be mean, she was trying to be nice.

Reinforces my decision not to have a Facebook account, though.

Anyone else have any funny Facebook stories?

Greg Cuetara
04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
there was a video a few months ago that went viral where a daughter got on facebook and complained about her parents and how they made her do chores etc...the father put a rant up on youtube and then took his handgun and put a bullet in his daughters laptop....kinda funny watching from the outside...

Michael Weber
04-03-2012, 1:29 PM
OP very funny:D Second post not evey kinda:eek:

glenn bradley
04-03-2012, 1:43 PM
Avoid online social networks like the plague. I've only been in this industry for 30 years but, the internet is FOREVER.

Larry Klaaren
04-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Avoid online social networks like the plague. I've only been in this industry for 30 years but, the internet is FOREVER.

Glenn, I am curious. How would an on-line social network be different from this forum? :-)

Larry

David G Baker
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Larry K,
Good one!

Curt Harms
04-04-2012, 8:53 AM
Glenn, I am curious. How would an on-line social network be different from this forum? :-)

Larry

Most SMC posters practice restrain - or have restraint practiced for them ;). Facebook and Youtube posters seem be be unfamiliar with the concept. I try to not post anything I wouldn't want a mother-in-law, clergyman, LEO, lawyer or IRS agent to read. The same should apply to social networking posts but it seems it doesn't.

Larry Klaaren
04-04-2012, 4:27 PM
Most SMC posters practice restrain - or have restraint practiced for them ;). Facebook and Youtube posters seem be be unfamiliar with the concept. I try to not post anything I wouldn't want a mother-in-law, clergyman, LEO, lawyer or IRS agent to read. The same should apply to social networking posts but it seems it doesn't.

Well it is up to the person doing the posting. I assume anybody can see my posts on facebook. If somebody posts something stupid or inflammatory, I ignore it. I was just wondering how Glenn makes the distinction between facebook living forever on the internet and Sawmill Creek being on the internet. I will admit it was a little bit tease.

Jim Matthews
04-04-2012, 4:58 PM
When Facebook is finally revealed to be an instrument of the NSA, I will be one of the remaining 100 people on the planet that were never mentioned.

Willingly giving away so much personal information seems naive to me.
If they're not selling a product, or providing a service for a fee, they're selling you.

Kent E. Matthew
04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I closed down my account a couple of months ago. Too much information is some cases. I can't believe how many people post pictures of their kids. It just became the same old thing every time. The shameless self promotion of the uninteresting. At least Twitter forces the uninteresting to be quick about it. Funny thing not one person has tracked me down and said hey we miss you. So, I guess I was leading the charge of the uninteresting.

Bill Cunningham
04-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I have a facebook account under another name for posting to online news comment sections (I can be very opinionated :rolleyes:) But I'm not a real facebook user, I simply just don't have that much time to waste

Phil Thien
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a facebook account under another name for posting to online news comment sections (I can be very opinionated :rolleyes:) But I'm not a real facebook user, I simply just don't have that much time to waste

The is a clever way to do it, Bill (if that is even your real name). :)

Eric DeSilva
04-06-2012, 2:38 PM
We have a tendency to blame this sort of amusing mishap on FB, but if your wife knows this woman, they might have had a conversation over the fence with the same result. Modes of communication change, we still have to be responsible for the content.