PDA

View Full Version : Trouble setting new home position on Epilog Mini 18

Bruce Clumpner
04-03-2012, 5:25 AM
I've run into a problem with my epilog lately. It's not accepting the input to reset the home position, which as you can guess, is very frustrating. It sometimes catches and sometime not, no rhyme or reason. I'm hoping it's not something in the motherboard. Here's the symptoms...

I press X/Y Off Button + Go to release x-axis
Move head using red-dot to locate new home position, lcd panel shows position of dot changing in relation to last home position (so it's reading the position OK)
Press Set Home button to lock new position
9 times out of 10 it resets to the last home position.
Re-boot does not fix issue

Since the key-panel is accepting input I know that's good, even though it resets on input
The LCD shows the position of the head as it moves around, so I know that's good as well.

I'm running Firmware V1.0.2.7, and I don't think there is an update out, so I may reinstall the firmware or go back down a version to see if it works.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Bobby Etchison
04-03-2012, 1:22 PM
Bruce, the latest firmware version is 1.0.3.0

Get it off the Epilog website. Cant say if it will fix your problem.

John Noell
04-03-2012, 3:36 PM
By any chance are you trying to set a position close to any edges of the table? My rulers are set back a bit (on purpose) - beyond what the laser wants for a home position and if I try to set a home too close to the edge it won't take. On the other hand, if you are trying to do something that used to work, it may well be the motherboard. I have gone through three and have heard of other Mini18 users with similar stories. I think there may well be an underlying problem with the motherboards.

Bruce Clumpner
04-03-2012, 5:05 PM
John & Bobby,

I actually received an unsolicited call from Epilog Tech Support. Guess my local rep monitors the SMC board and they called Epilog to have them help me troubleshoot. How's that for service!

So now I'm in the midst of updating the firm-ware to see if that takes care of the issue and the print driver just for good measure. Any known issues with the v-805 print driver in XP?

It's still usable if I can use the default origin position. Will advise what happens next.

Thanks for the support.

John Noell
04-04-2012, 3:13 PM
For me, 805 and XP were a very happy couple. :) (But when I went to Win7 and 64 bit...arghhhhh.)

Bruce Clumpner
04-04-2012, 6:38 PM
Uploaded new firmware and that seemed to clear it out. Still won't relocate origin inside the "buffer zone" in the top left corner, but I can work with that, as long as it properly registers to 0,0.

Thomas Baranowski
04-09-2012, 6:32 PM
Good to know I have had this issue as well over the last year and would always take it as a sign I needed to clean and lube more often which didn't always help. I'll have to try the update as well!