PDA

View Full Version : Care/storage of auger bits

rick carpenter
04-03-2012, 1:13 AM
I have a rather eclectic assortment of bits from 20 on down. I've soaked them in vinegar and used steel wool/wd40 to scrub them down, sharpening comes next. What's the best care of them when storing them to keep new rust to a minimum? I live in humid East Texas and will use them mostly outdoors.

Mark Wyatt
04-03-2012, 9:28 AM
In those conditions, your going to need to put some type of protective coating on the bits and maintain it. I like mineral oil (cheap, easy, I can steal it from my wife's kitchen when she isn't looking) but there are many other options.

john davey
04-03-2012, 9:55 AM
Mark, buy your own mineral oil. Getting caught in the kitchen just isn't worth it :)

Joe Bailey
04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Make a solution of mineral spirits (not mineral oil) & paraffin (canning wax readily available at grocery store).
Either heat it (take appropriate safety precautions) or allow it to dissolve at room temperature. It makes a great coating for any number of tools. As the solution is applied, the spirits flash off, leaving the wax. The paraffin does not interfere with subsequent finishes and has the added benefit of making cutting tools cut easier.
It has the following additional virtues: a) it's cheap, b) the solvent cleans the tool as you're wiping it down, and c) it's useful in situations (like yours) where the best approach is to dip the tool into the mixture.

Shlomo Hoffmann
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
There are a number of rust preventing lubricants you can use, including a product called Slip-It, engine synthetic oil, paste wax (any)... I have used/use them all and they all work. However, unless you apply a heavy coat of cosmoline for long term storage, any lubricant will eventually dry out (depends on many factors) and periodic check-ups and re-app are needed...

Jeff L Miller
04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
How about a nice lined box and throw some of those moisture eating packets in there once in a while. You could wipe the bit down with a rust preventative after each use and return it to the box. My Russell Jennings auger bits have a fitted box that I just love.

Jeff

Joe Bailey
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Jeff,
In practice, those dessicant packs will draw moisture in and hold it. Unless you religiously change them out, it's probably not a good approach.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Mark, buy your own mineral oil. Getting caught in the kitchen just isn't worth it

Especially if she is good at wielding a cast iron frying pan! :eek:

jtk

Shlomo Hoffmann
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
In practice, those dessicant packs will draw moisture in and hold it. Unless you religiously change them out, it's probably not a good approach.

Confirmed... I paid the price; never use them again...