PDA

View Full Version : A $10 scrub plane???

steven c newman
04-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Over on another site, there is a fellow making a scrub plane out of that harbor freight #33 handplane.:eek: Uses a 3" radius grind on the blade, too. He turns one of these228533into a Stanley #40 clone. The plane in the photo cost me $9.00. If I need a new iron, that would be cheap enough to just buy another whole plane. The iron on these is fairly thick, anyway. Might take a half an hour to make the switch.....

Jim Koepke
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I use two planes for scrub planes. One is a #5-1/4 the other is a #5-1/2.

Neither is used exclusively as a scrub. Neither has much camber on the blade. The smaller plane has more camber and is good for taking thicker cuttings. The jumbo jack is nicer on big work as the weight lends an advantage.

jtk

Mark Wyatt
04-03-2012, 9:25 AM
I use two planes for scrub planes. One is a #5-1/4 the other is a #5-1/2.

Neither is used exclusively as a scrub. Neither has much camber on the blade. The smaller plane has more camber and is good for taking thicker cuttings. The jumbo jack is nicer on big work as the weight lends an advantage.

jtk

Interesting idea Jim. I never thought about using a 5 1/2 size plane as a scrub but it would be very useful on some larger panels I've been planing. With a light camber that would likely work really well.

Zach Dillinger
04-03-2012, 9:36 AM
Indeed. The traditional "scrub" plane for English work isn't a scrub at all, but a 16" to 18" fore plane. When set up with the right grind, such a plane is a downright beast for flattening. That 5 1/2 would work in such a role, although I'd prefer a woodie (much, much lighter) if I were going to use it all day.

David Weaver
04-03-2012, 9:48 AM
A stanley jack or a wooden jack would be nicer to use as a jack plane than the harbor freight plane. Just wait until you find one for $10, which you will do sooner or later if you look long enough.

Most people will not have any use for a scrub plane. Mine hasn't seen wood in a while, and I don't use a power jointer or power planer more than once a year.

Don't throw money away in junk tools just because they're cheap.

steven c newman
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a #5 on the way ( $21 counting shipping) and that little #33 has been around my shop for a while. Already have a #8c, AND a #129 for the long work. I have a pair of #4s AND a #3 for smooth work. That $9 #33 might just work as a #40 type scrub plane until the jack shows up. I guess Ol' Stumpy Nubs will just have to make do on his own. You all can watch him on Bluecollar Wooodworking podcasts....

Terry Beadle
04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Just my opinion but....hoot! Anyway, I have a HF #33 that I've fettled and find it an asset and great value at $9. I don't use it as a scrub though.

Mr. Weaver, of course, you are right. A nicer plane would be an old #5 or #4 set up for scrub work. But I must say, my Scottish genetics makes me smile every time I use the 33 to soften edges etc. So beings as how I'm on the slippery slope, I smile as I slide into my shavings pile ! Hoot!

steven c newman
04-03-2012, 4:45 PM
Which would YOU use on something like this?228566with the added 'thrill" of a cut nail or three lurking in there? A "prized Stanley Jack plane" ( mine will get here Thursday) or just a "cheap" $9 scrub plane? Since i have the #33 on hand, I might just watch Stumpy's video again, to learn how to shape this iron. Note: Of the five boards in this panel, I already pulled TWO POUNDS of nails from them. Might be a few left in there, lurking about.....:eek:

David Weaver
04-03-2012, 4:53 PM
I wouldn't call a $10 stanley jack plane a prize plane. I also would be more afraid for the iron than the blade in worrying about whether or not there was something in there like a nail.

I generally wouldn't plane any wood with any plane if I thought it might have a nail in it, because there's no guarantee you're not going to hit it later in the board with a finer plane. You're going to need to follow on the scrub with something to clean up the scrub's work, and that may be the plane that hits the nail.

Whatever plane hits a nail or steel staple will need to have the burr from the scratch chased off the sole, and possibly significant rework on the iron.

I can't see the difference between a $10 HF plane and a $10 very common stanley plane, except that I would much rather remove stock with the stanley because it's long enough to do a better job of it and it is a much better plane.

I don't have a shortage of HF stuff, either, so it's not an anti HF thing.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-03-2012, 6:38 PM
I'd use a good metal detector if I thought there was chance of hitting a nail.

steven c newman
04-04-2012, 9:44 AM
Metal detector is one of two items in my shop. An "APEX" bit holder, rolled along the surface. When it slows, or stops, we have iron. Secondly, I look for the black stains. A black "ring" with a rusty brown center = NAIL. Most of the nails I find are easy, about half the nail would be above the wood, bent over. It's those #@#@#@## CUT NAILS I hate. Try to pull the bleeding things, and they almost always break, somewhere down in the wood, to be found again by the light of the sparks they throw around. Good thing those beams were FREE!

steven c newman
04-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, well, postman brought me something today! An almost new No. 5 Jack plane has arrived at the house. Got to work tonight, but, I'll have all day Thursday, AND Friday to discover all the secrets of a Jack plane. This one does NOT have any camber to the iron, though. Handicap? As for my #33, I've have some glue joints to clean up, and then we'll see about converting it to a #40 scrub plane. Might be interesting, at that....

Jim Koepke
04-04-2012, 2:07 PM
Well, well, postman brought me something today! An almost new No. 5 Jack plane has arrived at the house. Got to work tonight, but, I'll have all day Thursday, AND Friday to discover all the secrets of a Jack plane. This one does NOT have any camber to the iron, though. Handicap?

I actually have 5 planes of the #5 size. One is a LN #62. The other 4 are all various Stanley/Bailey planes that cost from $4 to $17. All get used for various tasks.

I like one for rough work whether it be scrub or just rapid removal of stock. Another is the daredevil when there may be a chance of metal in the wood. Another is set to take fine shavings and the last one is set kind of medium when I want to chamfer or round over an edge.

jtk