PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit your tools?

Bill Haumann
04-02-2012, 9:26 PM
I was lucky enough to see Ron Herman's talk at the Northeastern Woodworking Show yesterday.
He spoke for a bit over an hour primarily about how his company custom fits tools to each tradesman: saws, hammers, slicks, chisels, etc.

I have shaped saw handles to fit my hand better on occasion, but nothing more than that.

How have you fit your tools better for yourself?

Hammers, by the way, they grind the face of the paw so that it is parallel to the bench if one were to strike the bench with the hammer.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2012, 9:55 PM
How have you fit your tools better for yourself?

On saws, I have mostly used rasps or gouges to remove any wood that feels like it is pinching my hand. Making my own handle for a saw has made me think of making a few more of my own saws.

This is a bit "fatter" than most saw handles. Fits my hand great. The flute for my finger pads is also visible in the image.

For chisels I have made a lot of my own handles. Over time I have found a shape that feels good in my hand when the chisel is being used. There is a slightly different approach for paring chisels as opposed to mallet driven chisels.

The "bulb" shape fits my palm like it is part of me. The ring at he base of the handle gives my hand a place to push and helps with control.

For things like mallets I have carved finger rests and thumb rest into the handle.

This plane hammer handle was made from one of my early attempts at making a chisel handle. It broke after a few hard hits.

I made a head out of a piece of what appears to be lignum vitae. The sides of the handle were flattened with a plane and then fluted with a gouge.

On planes, I often open up the inside curve at the bottom to make a bit more room for my pinky finger. Sometimes the top curve is also given a little treatment with a rasp to increase comfort.

Even with cheap paint brushes I will often sand the handles and then give them a coat of BLO and wax to make them more comfortable.

I have a lot of file handles that get reused. Many of those were sanded in the past. Occasionally I make a new one.

My feeling is a tool should feel good in the user's hand. A tool that welcomes the hand holding it will likely experience more opportunities to be held.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I like that chisel handle, Jim. Reminds me of a classier version of the handles on a couple of chisels I have from LMI (http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Chisels+%26+Gouges&NameProdHeader=Tool+Handles) - that little raised ring makes things a lot more comfortable and controllable when driving them by hand.

(The link is to the handles they sell separately; it's a better picture of the handle)

One of these days I need to get a little lathe for things like handles. I've made non-turned handles, but sometimes a round one is the best.

Jim Neeley
04-03-2012, 2:40 AM
I was lucky enough to see Ron Herman's talk at the Northeastern Woodworking Show yesterday.
He spoke for a bit over an hour primarily about how his company custom fits tools to each tradesman: saws, hammers, slicks, chisels, etc.

To me, customizing the handles to the user is a big attraction of Klaus and Pedder's saws. With my big ol' mitts I've got 3 L-N backsaws that squeeze too tight and give me blisters. I'm hoping to some day get a couple of saws custom-made and sell these three L-N's. Fortunately, for the dovetail saw, I tried one of Rob Cosmans and not only does it fit my hand better, it's a superior saw, IMO. Then again, being pinched doesn't make ones assessment impartial. <g>

I've been eyeing the L-N panel saws but don't want to make the same mistake again. :(

Jim

Jeff L Miller
04-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Jim K., just a heads up, I will be copying that chisel handle....I'll give you credit when I can.

Jeff

Jim Koepke
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Jim K., just a heads up, I will be copying that chisel handle....I'll give you credit when I can.

Glad you like it, but it really isn't totally original to me.

All the chisels in my accumulation were considered in finding the features that worked best for me. James Swan and some old Witherby handles are quite similar to mine.

This image came from some early Witherby stationary.

The Buck Brothers handles are another design to my liking.

jtk

Carl Beckett
04-03-2012, 1:22 PM
This thread may just be what I need to push me over the edge.

I have a Veritas dovetail saw, and that flare at the bottom digs right into the palm of my hand. For something like a dovetail saw, I tend to hold it out across the fingers and not with my hand gripped tightly around the handle. It gives me more control this way, and I dont need the strength for it (control is almost always better than more power). It fits my hand if I wrap tightly around the handle, but this doesnt align well with cutting stroke - I find it better to keep a light grip out across the fingers. (tried to take a pic with one hand while holding the saw with the other)

Ive been hesitant to cut it though. Its a nice saw - but is it? Especially if it doesnt fit my hand?

An alternative might be to try to make a second handle and save the original to fall back on once I muck it up....... will watch this thread with interest.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2012, 1:59 PM
An alternative might be to try to make a second handle and save the original to fall back on once I muck it up....... will watch this thread with interest.

Carl,

That is an excellent idea. My first saw handle was actually made with a piece of pine. It was never intended to be attached to a saw. It was to help with deciding the correct size, hang and shaping.

It would be easy to make a prototype handle for your saw to help you "dial in" the aspects for your own perfect handle.

jtk