PDA

View Full Version : Fence on left side of table saw blade.

Dave Anthony
04-02-2012, 5:01 PM
How often do make cuts with the fence on the left side of the blade on the table saw? On what type of cuts would you need or want to do this? The fate of a brand new set of fence rails awaits your response :).

Lee Schierer
04-02-2012, 7:38 PM
I've used my fence left of the blade a few times when ripping miters on long pieces. Some left handed people prefer having the fence on the left.

Michael Peet
04-02-2012, 7:44 PM
I have an Incra fence, so.. never. :)

Mike

Larry Edgerton
04-02-2012, 7:53 PM
With a right tilt saw doing angles over 45 degrees you have to use the left side of the table. The house I am working on has a 20/12 pitch with a post and beam ceiling so I am always making parts to fit over 45 degrees. I have a Unifence on the site saw and I am tired of switching the fence around, but I am getting pretty fast at it.;)

So lately, quite often......

Larry

frank shic
04-02-2012, 7:57 PM
i love my unifence. it really shines when using the sliding table since you can pull the fence back and use it as a stop for crosscutting.

Sam Murdoch
04-02-2012, 9:52 PM
With a right tilt saw doing angles over 45 degrees you have to use the left side of the table. The house I am working on has a 20/12 pitch with a post and beam ceiling so I am always making parts to fit over 45 degrees. I have a Unifence on the site saw and I am tired of switching the fence around, but I am getting pretty fast at it.;)

So lately, quite often......

Larry

This is the only table saw reason - but it's a good one. Otherwise, I use that side of the fence for sliding dovetails on drawer boxes.

Nathan Callender
04-02-2012, 9:54 PM
I use my miter gauge on the right so the fence is used on the left as a stop a lot of times. However, never for ripping.

Jim Finn
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Most of the time I have the fence to the left of the blade. This way I am standing on the left of the fence and any kickback will not hit my body. I am pushing the push stick with my right hand.

scott spencer
04-03-2012, 4:56 AM
If the saw is left tilt, you're not likely to ever put the fence on the left side of the blade unless you prefer to. If it's right tilt, you might for bevel cuts.

Ellen Benkin
04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
I just moved mine yesterday to put tenons on a very long piece that would not have been supported on the other side.

Steve Baumgartner
04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I usually put the fence on the left and add a sacrificial face board when I use a dado set to cut tenons. Mostly because if the piece receiving the tenon is long or heavy it has more support on the right-side extension table.